1053 users online (227 members and 826 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beans... Beans... Good for the heart...

They've been a staple in student diets and English fry-ups for years, but beans have always had one big drawback - their dramatic effect on human wind production. Now a Cambridge boffin has developed fart-free varieties to the relief of baked bean fans and their families everywhere.

Dr Colin Leakey - that is his real name - has just produced his first six-tonne harvest of a new strain of South American manteca beans.

The original manteca beans were famed for their gas-less qualities and prized by the upper-classes because they could be served up at stench-free dinner parties.

Dr Leakey, 71, has even developed his own 'fart-ometer' to measure the amount of flatulence produced by manteca beans compared to other varieties.

"In physiological and replicated tests, the manteca beans produced no more flatulence than muesli or any other normal (non-bean) grain crop," he said.

The agricultural consultant now hopes an organic food company will use his beans in their frozen food products.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...457474,00.html

Personally, I can't stand Beans

Beans are one of my favorite foods; in chili, in soups, or just by themselves. I have had a craving for beans lately, and bought an 8-pack of refried beans at Costco. I have been adding in a goodly amount of salsa, and a couple of spoonfuls of minced garlic, as I didn't have any onions around to chop up. Just heat, and eat; they make for a great quick meal; no need to go into how nutritious they are, as everyone knows that.

That story will break my 7 yr old son and my husbands heart! They like to have "contests"

That picture grossed me out! Why are the beans on toast??? LOL

ETA: amongst many other things it looks like peanut brittle...LOL

Hi Sassy, beans on toast is "British Cuisine" very... very popular meal.

The Brits have beans with their egg in the morning--and poor tasting ones at that.

Yep, heres a typical British breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    That story will break my 7 yr old son and my husbands heart! They like to have "contests"
    They aren't gas free, as it said that they would then be compared in gas-generation to muesli or any other normal (non-bean) grain crop. Muesli, and other relatively unprocessed grains, do a fair job of generating gas on their own, so maybe your son, and husband, won't be completely disappointed. Most foods with a high fiber comtent will generate gas

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
    the more you eat,
    The more you toot,
    The more you toot,
    the better you feel,
    so it's beans, beans,
    for every meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Yep, heres a typical British breakfast

Their breakfasts don't normally look that appealing, but yes, that's what they eat.

I like beans... I love refried with chili seasoning and onions.. yum.. I also put garbanzo and red kidney beans on my salads... I also like black beans with corn and tomatoes..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    My sons do too. But at least they are gentlemen about it, they always let mom win.

Quote Originally Posted by Becba
    they always let mom win.

I always add a little drop of Beano!

Do jelly beans count?

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Do jelly beans count?
    The black ones are good, but I don't like any others

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast