Beans... Beans... Good for the heart...

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
1159457.jpg

They've been a staple in student diets and English fry-ups for years, but beans have always had one big drawback - their dramatic effect on human wind production. Now a Cambridge boffin has developed fart-free varieties to the relief of baked bean fans and their families everywhere.

:laugh: Dr Colin Leakey - that is his real name - has just produced his first six-tonne harvest of a new strain of South American manteca beans.

The original manteca beans were famed for their gas-less qualities and prized by the upper-classes because they could be served up at stench-free dinner parties.

Dr Leakey, 71, has even developed his own 'fart-ometer' to measure the amount of flatulence produced by manteca beans compared to other varieties.

"In physiological and replicated tests, the manteca beans produced no more flatulence than muesli or any other normal (non-bean) grain crop," he said.

The agricultural consultant now hopes an organic food company will use his beans in their frozen food products.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13457474,00.html

Personally, I can't stand Beans :razz:

Beans are one of my favorite foods; in chili, in soups, or just by themselves. I have had a craving for beans lately, and bought an 8-pack of refried beans at Costco. I have been adding in a goodly amount of salsa, and a couple of spoonfuls of minced garlic, as I didn't have any onions around to chop up. Just heat, and eat; they make for a great quick meal; no need to go into how nutritious they are, as everyone knows that.

That story will break my 7 yr old son and my husbands heart! They like to have "contests" :eek:

That picture grossed me out! Why are the beans on toast??? LOL

ETA: amongst many other things it looks like peanut brittle...LOL

Hi Sassy, beans on toast is "British Cuisine" very... very popular meal.

Linda7NJ said:
That story will break my 7 yr old son and my husbands heart! They like to have "contests" :eek:
They aren't gas free, as it said that they would then be compared in gas-generation to muesli or any other normal (non-bean) grain crop. Muesli, and other relatively unprocessed grains, do a fair job of generating gas on their own, so maybe your son, and husband, won't be completely disappointed. Most foods with a high fiber comtent will generate gas

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
the more you eat,
The more you toot,
The more you toot,
the better you feel,
so it's beans, beans,
for every meal.

I like beans... I love refried with chili seasoning and onions.. yum.. I also put garbanzo and red kidney beans on my salads... I also like black beans with corn and tomatoes..:p

Linda7NJ said:
My sons do too. But at least they are gentlemen about it, they always let mom win.:p

Buzzm1 said:
Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
the more you eat,
The more you toot,
The more you toot,
the better you feel,
so it's beans, beans,
for every meal.
Hey! I thought that was my grandma's song! Do you mean she didn't make it up? I am sooooooo disappointed! :crazy:

Buzzm1 said:
Their breakfasts don't normally look that appealing, but yes, that's what they eat.
Not very pretty is it?

Good grief, everything looks like it was almost burned either on the bottom, or the top (muffin).

Oh, and the Ginger perserves with the beans didn't do much for me either!:sick:

Casshew said:
Hi Sassy, beans on toast is "British Cuisine" very... very popular meal.
Geez, Baked Beans at that!

Glossary of typical English food.

Baked Beans
beans.jpg
Baked beans are beans cooked in a tomato sauce. They come in cans and are normally eaten on toast. The Britsh are very fond of baked beans.

http://www.lingolex.com/cc/foods.htm

My hubby is English and loves all that slop :banghead:

Casshew said:
1159457.jpg

They've been a staple in student diets and English fry-ups for years, but beans have always had one big drawback - their dramatic effect on human wind production. Now a Cambridge boffin has developed fart-free varieties to the relief of baked bean fans and their families everywhere.

:laugh: Dr Colin Leakey - that is his real name - has just produced his first six-tonne harvest of a new strain of South American manteca beans.

The original manteca beans were famed for their gas-less qualities and prized by the upper-classes because they could be served up at stench-free dinner parties.

Dr Leakey, 71, has even developed his own 'fart-ometer' to measure the amount of flatulence produced by manteca beans compared to other varieties.

"In physiological and replicated tests, the manteca beans produced no more flatulence than muesli or any other normal (non-bean) grain crop," he said.

The agricultural consultant now hopes an organic food company will use his beans in their frozen food products.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13457474,00.html

Personally, I can't stand Beans :razz:
------------

Aw come on Casshew~you dont like beans?
Beans beans the musical fruit~
the more you eat,more you toot
more you toot the better you feel,
so eat your beans at every meal!!
My gramma used to say this!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics