1072 users online (245 members and 827 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Skeleton found in abandoned police holding cell

nbcnewyork.com:

Dead Man Found in Old New Jersey Police Headquarters May Have Gotten Locked in Holding Cell, Owner Says
    A woman whose family has owned the boarded-up building since 1983 says a contractor found the skeletal remains

The skeletal remains found in an old New Jersey police headquarters gutted by fire more than three decades ago may belong to a homeless man who accidentally locked himself in a holding cell and couldn't get out, according to a woman whose family owns the building.

Susan Greenbaum, whose family is in the process of selling the building to a developer, told NBC 4 New York police believe the man got into the Paterson Police Department station on Washington Street, which has been boarded up since the devastating 1980 blaze, and somehow locked himself in the cell.

Greenbaum said police think he died there about eight to 10 years ago; she said the approximate date of death is based on a water bottle and over-the-counter medication found near him in the cell.
    ---
    more at the link

Wow. Let's hope he can be identified, even better if he can be matched up to one of of our cases here. You never know.

Damarna is offline Verified State Coordinator for CFSI/ Insider - Parker Haluptzok
    If he did indeed accidentally lock himself in..... oh my gosh! He must be missed!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reminds me of that case where the college student was accidentally left in a holding cell for several days and almost died. Terrifying to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by stormshine View Post
    Reminds me of that case where the college student was accidentally left in a holding cell for several days and almost died. Terrifying to think about.
    'Seems unbelievable that this could happen... and has happened before!

Was this the case, stormshine? Or is there another?!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/justic...ea-settlement/

Investigators are seeking help from the public to identify the remains.

"The deceased has not been identified and information regarding his identity will not be released at this time," Paterson Police Capt. Richard Reyes said in a statement.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/ind...fter_fire.html