DC - Cop kills motorcyclist, witness disputes officers claims, Sept 2016

animlzrule

Reaction score
"Bowser: DC police officer didn't turn on body camera until after motorcyclist was shot"

"D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said Monday that an officer involved in the deadly shooting of a motorcyclist on Sunday morning was wearing a body camera, but did not turn the camera on to record video footage until after the shooting took place."

"According to police, Sterling struck the police car as he was attempting to flee and was then shot by one of two officers in the cruiser."

"However, a witness to the shooting told FOX 5 about a different account of the incident. Kandace Simms said she had just picked up a friend and was sitting in the right-hand lane waiting at the traffic light at 3rd and M Streets.

"So I pulled up to the light and I was there by myself for some time and some cars were coming behind me, but then I saw a motorcycle come on the left of me and then the police car blocked the motorcycle, so they kind of came at the same exact time,” said Simms. “The motorcycle was trying to speed off and drive away, but he couldn't because he was kind of caught in between the sidewalk at the curb and the police car. So the police were trying to open the passenger side door and he couldn't because the motorcycle was right there, and I guess when he couldn't open the door, he rolled down his window and shot twice. Simms said her windows were rolled down and she heard no commands coming from the officer in the cruiser. She said she saw the motorcycle strike the cruiser once.

“It did, but that is because they blocked him,” she said. “The police car wasn't right there when I pulled up."

"According to Simms, she believes the collision looked unavoidable."

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/204774740-story

Surprise, surprise...body camera off.

Waiting for the rest of the witness reports. According to the lady there were cars coming up from behind. Was there anyone on the sidewalk that saw what happened? Sounds like there could be quite a few witnesses, yet only one witness and the police have spoken publicly. There may be ten witnesses that back up the police version. We just don't know.
The body cam is questionable, but it doesn't automatically make the officer sinister IMO. I just cannot imagine that the first thing I would think about in this senerio is if I turned on a body cam.

Imo, overall police body-cams are an epic failure - due to LE not anyone else. They were designed to remove any questions - in too many cases, there are nothing but questions.

Witness recounts moments police shot, killed Terrence Sterling

[A witness, Kandace Simms] says all of the sudden she heard a motorcycle coming up alongside her in the left hand lane. She then saw a police cruiser without its lights or siren on pull into the intersection blocking the path of the motorcycle, and the collision she said was unavoidable, the motorcycle driver then revved the engine as if he was trying to get away, then the window came down on the passenger side of the police cruiser and shots were fired.

Police Chief Peter Newsham's story was different: Officers were able to stop the motorcycle (which was being driven erratically, according to their reports), but then "the person who was riding the motorcycle attempted to flee and ended up striking the police car and at that point shots were fired.”

Hilton Burton, a retired D.C. police captain familiar with the current general orders of the police department says it appears the officers involved may have broken more than one rule.

Imo, overall police body-cams are an epic failure - due to LE not anyone else. They were designed to remove any questions - in too many cases, there are nothing but questions.

Tulsa got 600k to outfit their officers with body cams, but they shoot a man in the street and guess what - officers didn't have body cams. (LE spokesperson says "Maybe the dashcam got it.")

Tulsa got 600k to outfit their officers with body cams, but they shoot a man in the street and guess what - officers didn't have body cams. (LE spokesperson says "Maybe the dashcam got it.")

I am very interested, like chomping at the bit interested in what the police's statement will be on Monday about the Tulsa shooting. I also want to know where they are in the process of purchasing the body cams. From what I understand, the money was allocated to them sometime in 2015.

I think the explanation of the pursuit is to vague ,and honestly I have to question why getting evidence for his pursuit did not cross his mind immediately . Like if my job is to be a witness for the government and someone drives awful enough for me to want to ensure the public is secure and make the needed arrest hitting a button on my body seems like the least I could do.It takes less time to hit a button then it does to roll a window down and pull a gun an unclick the lock to fire the gun, plus one has to think that ones ego would be to get a tag so the guy didnt get away if he like drove over a curb on a bike.. I dunno maybe it is me but if LE officers are really this slow to rationalize things ,maybe they really should not be officers.What exactly did he think his job was?

I think the explanation of the pursuit is to vague ,and honestly I have to question why getting evidence for his pursuit did not cross his mind immediately . Like if my job is to be a witness for the government and someone drives awful enough for me to want to ensure the public is secure and make the needed arrest hitting a button on my body seems like the least I could do.It takes less time to hit a button then it does to roll a window down and pull a gun an unclick the lock to fire the gun, plus one has to think that ones ego would be to get a tag so the guy didnt get away if he like drove over a curb on a bike.. I dunno maybe it is me but if LE officers are really this slow to rationalize things ,maybe they really should not be officers.What exactly did he think his job was?

It doesn't sound like they had any reason to think their lives were in danger.

I am very interested, like chomping at the bit interested in what the police's statement will be on Monday about the Tulsa shooting. I also want to know where they are in the process of purchasing the body cams. From what I understand, the money was allocated to them sometime in 2015.

http://ktul.com/news/local/police-to-release-dashcam-video-of-fatal-shooting

I keep checking too. What I read from 2015 (I think September) said it would take a year to get them.

Police shooting of biker draws protest

The protesters want police to release the name of the officer who shot Sterling. They also are asking why the officer's body cam was turned off during the incident.

Sterling was killed on Sept. 11 after police responded to a report of someone riding a motorcycle recklessly.

Guy in white shirt puts his hands up, Seconds later he's dead, That's all I saw.
I did see him put his arms up real fast.
Seems like someone over reacted, imo.

D.C. police release body camera video taken after fatal police-involved shooting

D.C. police released graphic body camera video Tuesday showing the aftermath of the fatal police shooting of a motorcyclist this month and named the officer who fired.

Terrence Sterling, 31, of Fort Washington, Md., was shot on the morning of Sept. 11 after police said he intentionally drove his motorcycle into a police cruiser.

The officer who fired was Brian Trainer, 27, who has been with the department for four years, officials said. City officials have not identified officers involved in other recent shootings, and it was not immediately clear why they did so in this instance.

The five-minute video does not show the shooting. Trainer failed to follow D.C. police regulations and did not turn on his body camera until after he fired, officials have said.

Off camera, bystanders are heard screaming, “Oh my God. Oh my God. He didn’t do anything? Are you serious? He’s not moving.”

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser told council members that it took more than two weeks for the investigation into the shooting to “mature” to the point where the officer’s identity and the video could be released.

There needs to be charges brought, IMO. Weed out the bad apples (or in the case of Shelby, the apples that make grave errors) and everything will iron itself out eventually. JMO

Medical Examiner: Terrence Sterling died from gunshot wounds to neck, back; death ruled homicide

One day after police body camera footage showing the fatal shooting of Terrence Sterling was released, the medical examiner has ruled Sterling's death as a homicide and he died from gunshot wounds to the neck and back.

The video from the firing officer's body-worn camera does not show the moments leading up to the shooting or the actual shooting itself, but shows what happened after Sterling was shot and the police officers performing life-saving efforts on Sterling.

The officer identified in the shooting is 27-year-old Brian Trainer, a four-year member of the department.

I'm interested to see how the PD will be handling this one.

So this cop actually rolled his window down to shoot this man? I need a Xanax.

So this cop actually rolled his window down to shoot this man? I need a Xanax.

I guess he felt like shooting someone & since a witness said the bike prevented the door from opening he had to roll down the window as it is probably against dept. policy to shoot through a closed window. JMO

I guess he felt like shooting someone & since a witness said the bike prevented the door from opening he had to roll down the window as it is probably against dept. policy to shoot through a closed window. JMO

The motorcycle couldn't have been blocking both doors.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back