WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPPaolin

Reaction score
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051104/APC0101/511040426/1003/APCnews

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Posted November 4, 2005 [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Police term woman's disappearance 'suspicious' [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By John Lee
Post-Crescent staff writer
[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CHILTON — Police in two counties are searching for a 25-year-old woman who disappeared Monday, and authorities say the disappearance is suspicious. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sgt. Mark Wiegert of the Calumet County Sheriff's Department said Teresa Marie Halbach, who lives in the St. John area of Calumet County, was last seen Monday afternoon in Manitowoc. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said the investigation "indicates it is out of character for her not to have contact with family or friends for this length of time." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sheriff Jerry Pagel said her parents reported her missing about 4 p.m. Thursday, and said his department and police in Manitowoc County opened investigations immediately. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This is behavior that is not normal for this young lady," Pagel said. "It's suspicious. Parents, friends, relatives, nobody has had any contact with her since the 31st (of October)." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said she has no criminal, medical or mental history to make police believe she would have left on her own. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"She doesn't have any medical problems and isn't on any medication," Pagel said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said Halbach works as a freelance photographer for auto dealers, and was last seen at an appointment in Manitowoc about 1:30 p.m. Monday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said police are trying to determine if she had any appointments after that, and if she showed up for them. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said investigators would be checking today to see if there has been any activity in her financial records or credit cards. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Police said she was wearing blue jeans, a white button-down shirt and a summer jacket when she was last seen. She is described as 5-foot-6, 135 pounds with light brown hair and brown eyes. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She was driving a dark green 1999 Toyota Rav4 with a Wisconsin license SWH582. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone with information is asked to call the Calumet County Sheriff's Department at 920-849-2335 or Calumet County Crimestoppers at 1-877-765-8327. [/font][/font]

Calumet Co. woman was last seen in the Manitowoc vicinity
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air searches and legwork by detectives turned up no clues Friday to the whereabouts of 25-year-old Teresa Marie Halbach of St. John, who has been missing since Monday and was last seen taking photos in the Manitowoc area. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“We have investigators out working now,” said Capt. Paul Rusch of the Calumet County Sheriff’s Department late Friday afternoon. “We developed no new leads during the day.” [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach, a free-lance photographer who was working for Auto Trader Magazine, was reported missing by her parents at 4 p.m. Thursday. Calumet Sheriff Jerry Pagel said his department and police in Manitowoc County opened investigations immediately. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators said she was last seen at a business appointment in Manitowoc about 1:30 p.m. Monday. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Green Bay television stations reported Friday night that the appointment was to photograph a van being sold by Steven Avery. Avery is the Two Rivers man who was wrongly convicted for a 1985 sexual assault and spent years in prison before being exonerated by DNA evidence in 2003. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery told WFRV-TV that Halbach took a photo of his van and left. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators said Halbach has no criminal record and no history of physical or mental illness that would lead them to believe she left the area on her own. Investigators began a check of her financial records Friday. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More: http://www.wisinfo.com/heraldtimes/news/archive/local_23269263.shtml
[/font]

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051105/APC0101/511050375/1003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Calumet County family hurts while they hunt for missing relative [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Search resumes this morning for 25-year-old [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
persbilde
By Ed Culhane
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The family of 25-year-old Teresa Marie Halbach, missing since Monday, is working hard to find her. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Her parents, her brothers and her sisters are all trying to keep hope alive. It's not easy. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You don't know what's happening, and it hurts," said her brother, Mike, 23, speaking late Friday night from the Calumet County home of his parents, Tom and Karen Halbach. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They live on County B, between Hilbert and Sherwood, in the Town of Woodville. Their daughter, Teresa, resides nearby, also on County B, in the area known as St. John. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Family and friends were out Friday distributing more than 3,000 flyers with Halbach's picture in several areas of the Fox Valley, hoping more people on the lookout will help them find her. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Family members and friends planned to meet this morning at Teresa Halbach's residence and to begin searching all possible routes she might have used between Manitowoc and Hilbert, stopping and searching on foot whenever the nearby landscape is obscured from view. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An air search Friday and legwork by detectives turned up no clues. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We have investigators out working now," said Capt. Paul Rusch of the Calumet County Sheriff's Department late Friday afternoon. "We developed no new leads during the day." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach, a freelance photographer who was working for Auto Trader Magazine, was reported missing by her parents at 4 p.m. Thursday. Her boss at Auto Trader called the family after she missed work Tuesday and Wednesday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calumet Sheriff Jerry Pagel said his department and police in Manitowoc County opened investigations immediately. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators said she was last seen at a 1:30 p.m. appointment in Manitowoc, photographing a vehicle being listed for sale in Auto Trader. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is out of character for her not to have contact with family or friends for this length of time," Pagel said. "This is behavior that is not normal for this young lady. It's suspicious. Parents, friends, relatives, nobody has had any contact with her since the 31st." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Her family said she had three photo shoots scheduled Monday and made it to all of them. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One of her appointments was with Steve Avery, the Two Rivers man released in September 2003, after serving 18 years in prison for a rape he did not commit. Avery, who spoke freely with police and reporters, said she photographed a van he was selling, collected the fee and left. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Her younger brother said she received a call on her cell phone shortly after 2 p.m. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"That was the last call she made or received," he said. "There's been nothing since then on her phone records." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators said Halbach has no criminal record and no history of physical or mental illness that would lead them to believe she left the area on her own. Investigators began a check of her financial records Friday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach was wearing blue jeans, a white button-down shirt and a summer jacket when last seen. She is described as 5-foot-6, weighing 135 pounds. He has light brown hair and brown eyes. She was driving a dark green 1999 Toyota Rav4 with a Wisconsin license SWH582. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone with information is asked to call the Calumet County Sheriff's Department at 920-849-2335 or Calumet County Crimestoppers at 1-877-765-8327. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Ed Culhane can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 216, or by e-mail at eculhane@postcrescent.com. [/font][/font]

I was just gonna post this article, but you beat me to it! :)

It is very odd that the last appt. was with that Stever Avery guy! I really hope that it is not him. I remember when he got released, they showed it on T.V. and I really felt sorry for the guy! I just hope he is not the perp., if there is one, but really, really odd that he just happened to be her last appt.

That Avery guy either has really, really bad luck, or......
He did spend 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit.

http://www.truthinjustice.org/avery2.htm

avery-tf.jpg

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Steve Avery[/font]
avery-tf2.jpg

avery-lineup.jpg

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Original Lineup[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]Task Force Hears Testimony from Steven Avery

[/font]
[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]December 22, 2003[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]By Kathryn Bracho[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]He was wrongly convicted of attempted murder and rape, and spent 18 years in prison. Steven Avery's wrongful conviction is something the Wisconsin criminal justice system does not want to see again.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]State officials organized a task force. Monday they heard testimony from Avery.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Avery is a man of few words, and speaking in front of a group of men in suits at the state Capitol was tough for him to do, he said. But he said he wanted them to know that something is wrong with the system.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]"I want to figure out what's perfect."[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Steven Avery knows all too well the justice system is not perfect. "All the way through, kept my hopes up, but nothing ever came through."[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]The victim picked Avery out of a lineup. The man now linked to that crime by DNA testing, Gregory Allen, was not part of that lineup.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Keith Findley of the Wisconsin Innocence Project, which helped arrange that DNA testing to win Avery's freedom, pointed to a photo of the police lineup. "Steven Avery was the shortest, the fairest of the group."[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]It's just one of many things that went wrong is his case.. that this committee wants to fix.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]"What can we learn from a case like this?" they want to know.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]The committee will look at issues like DNA testing, eye-witness testimony, and whether public defenders have enough resources to properly defend their clients.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Steven Avery says he lost a lot during his time in prison. "My family stuck around for a while, but it was hard, so then I told the old lady to leave."[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]But now that he's free, he's glad to be made an example of. "It feels good they're realizing that the justice system is broke."[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]The committee will make its recommendations to the Legislature in about a year.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]One issue the committee did not discuss is increasing the amount of compensation Avery could get from the state for the time of his wrongful imprisonment. Right now that amount is capped at $25,000.[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] [/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] Representative Mark Gundrum (R-New Berlin), who helped organize the task force, says this is an issue the committee is not equipped to handle.

[/font]

Back to Steve Avery
Truth in Justice

(CBS) CALUMET COUNTY Police have set up a search perimeter in the Mishicot area in relation to the disappearance of Teresa Halbach. CBS 5's Jennifer Kolbusz is in Mishicot tonight, and reports that authorities closed off several roads in the area. She also says that authorities have located Teresa Halbach's vehicle at Avery Auto Salvage, but are not releasing any additional details at this time. A press conference was held at 9pm Saturday night. Due to lightning in the Mishicot area, we will bring you the conference in its entirety on WFRV.Com as soon as possible.

Authorities are calling another press conference scheduled for 1:30pm Sunday afternoon. We will carry that press conference as a live webcast here on WFRV.Com

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_309180528.html
Looks like Avery has more to explain!

absolut said:
(CBS) CALUMET COUNTY Police have set up a search perimeter in the Mishicot area in relation to the disappearance of Teresa Halbach. CBS 5's Jennifer Kolbusz is in Mishicot tonight, and reports that authorities closed off several roads in the area. She also says that authorities have located Teresa Halbach's vehicle at Avery Auto Salvage, but are not releasing any additional details at this time. A press conference was held at 9pm Saturday night. Due to lightning in the Mishicot area, we will bring you the conference in its entirety on WFRV.Com as soon as possible.

Authorities are calling another press conference scheduled for 1:30pm Sunday afternoon. We will carry that press conference as a live webcast here on WFRV.Com

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_309180528.html
Looks like Avery has more to explain!

Oh, my Gosh! I was hoping he had nothing to do with it! But, I still will hold out that he didnt. It seems too obvious for her car to show up at his salvage yard. It also mentions that another man from the area had an appt. with her, they say they dont know which man saw her last. Could it be possible that someone is trying to set him up? Knows his background, and thought it would be real easy to pin him? I know I am just grasping at straws, but I really felt for that man when he was released, and if he did it, I will be sooooo angry for feeling sorry for him! Could it be that he figured he has already did the time, now he'll do the crime? If that is the case, he is not very smart about it!

Did Steve marry in July as was planned, I read an article from Feb 2005 saying that?

absolut said:
Avery said he feared he was being "set up" as he believes Manitowoc County officials had done 20 years ago.

"I ain't gonna put nothing past them," he said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov05/368439.asp

According to your article, it states that she had been going to his salvage yard for over a year taking pictures of cars they were selling. Before I was thinking in order to frame him, how would someone know she was going to be taking pictures for him? Well, now I know she has been doing it for some time now, and probably lots of people were aware of that. She was also living with a male, lets check him out.

I am going to really go out on a limb here and say I do not think he did it. If I am wrong I will totally eat crow. I dont know why I am so obsessed with wanting him to be innocent, but I am.

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051106/APC0101/511060418/1003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Car of missing woman found [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Halbach's fate unknown after vehicle located in gravel pit [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/persbilde?Avis=U0&ID=eculhane By Ed Culhane [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MISHICOT — Law enforcement officials found the vehicle of a missing St. John woman Saturday in a rural Manitowoc County gravel pit, but were tight-lipped about Teresa Halbach's fate. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 25-year-old's Toyota RAV4 was found on Steven Avery's property in an area where salvaged vehicles are kept. Avery was convicted in a 1985 sexual assault and exonerated by DNA evidence after spending 18 years in prison. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We had information that the car was on this property. We got a search warrant and did in fact find the car," said Calumet County Dist. Atty. Kenneth Kratz during a press conference Saturday night at the Mishicot Fire Department. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When questioned by reporters, Manitowoc and Calumet county officials would not answer whether they had found Halbach, if the search for her had been called off or if Avery was a suspect in her disappearance. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When contacted after the press conference, Teresa's brother, Mike, said the family is waiting for more information. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What they said is pretty much what we know," he said from the Calumet County home of his parents, Tom and Karen Halbach. "We would like to thank everyone who has helped us out — the volunteer searchers and the police." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The search of the Avery property was continuing and other search warrants were being sought, Kratz said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calumet County Sheriff Gerald Pagel said his department has been named the lead investigator in the case and would be assisted by the Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department, the Wisconsin State Patrol, the Wisconsin Crime Lab and the State Department of Criminal Investigation. Pagel indicated he would hold another press conference at 1 p.m. today to give an update on the case. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery, who spoke freely with police and reporters on Friday and Saturday, said that on Monday Teresa Halbach photographed a van he was selling, collected the fee and left. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach, a 25-year-old freelance photographer who was working for Auto Trader Magazine, was reported missing by her parents at 4 p.m. Thursday. Her boss at Auto Trader called the family after she missed work Tuesday and Wednesday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery told the Herald Times Reporter newspaper in Manitowoc Saturday that he has "no idea" what happened to Halbach. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I don't know what happened to her," he said in a telephone interview from his father's vacation property near Crivitz. "That's the honest to God truth. I just wish they'd find her, so we'd know what really happened." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery said Saturday that Halbach has been to his home about 15 times in the last year to take photos of his vehicles for Auto Trader. "It was always just 'hi, how ya' doing,' that kind of thing," Avery said. "It was just business." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery watched televised accounts of the investigation at his property while gathered with family members at his father's cabin. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I certainly didn't want to be on the news again," he said. "If I can help, I'll help. That's just the way I am. I don't know why this stuff happens to me." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery was convicted in 1985 and sentenced to 32 years in prison for raping a woman on a Lake Michigan beach. When DNA evidence cleared him in 2003, the story attracted national attention. In 2004, the Wisconsin Claims Board awarded Avery $25,000 plus attorney fees for the wrongful imprisonment. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the 1985 case, police zeroed in on Avery only hours after the victim reported the crime. He was a neighbor of the deputy who interviewed the victim and was on bond awaiting trial for a charge of reckless endangerment after allegedly trying to force a woman into his vehicle. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On Saturday morning, Halbach's family and friends searched between Manitowoc and Hilbert for any sign of the woman or her vehicle. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When she was last seen, Halbach was wearing blue jeans, a white button-down shirt and a summer jacket. She is described as 5-foot-6, weighing 135 pounds. She has light brown hair and brown eyes. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said if anyone has information about the case, they should call 920-849-2335. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Reporters Amy Weaver and Pat Pankratz from the Herald Times Reporter contributed to this story. Ed Culhane can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 216, or by e-mail at eculhane@postcrescent.com. [/font][/font]

I don't believe the police set him up...

maybe someone else?

btw, about a month ago he/brother bought a dining room set from my sister..

I too will need to hear more..no opinion either.

Hmmmm...I never knew this.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the 1985 case, police zeroed in on Avery only hours after the victim reported the crime. He was a neighbor of the deputy who interviewed the victim and was on bond awaiting trial for a charge of reckless endangerment after allegedly trying to force a woman into his vehicle. [/font][/font]

http://postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051107/APC0101/511070350/1003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Posted November 7, 2005 [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+2] Hopes high as search continues [/size][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1] Hundreds join hunt for missing Hilbert woman [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
persbilde
By John Lee

Post-Crescent staff writer
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MISHICOT — The search for a missing Calumet County woman intensified Sunday in northern Manitowoc County. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hundreds of police officers searched an auto salvage yard, while more than 200 of Teresa Halbach's friends and relatives searched ditches, ravines, fields and creeks. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Police hope evidence being processed at the state Crime Lab in Madison can help tell them what happened to Halbach, 25, who has been missing since last Monday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meanwhile, Halbach's family remained optimistic she will be found. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We are staying strong," Teresa's brother, Mike Halbach, said Sunday from the farmhouse Teresa and a roommate rented next door to her parents near St. John in Calumet County. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"For the most part, we are staying optimistic. You hope you get answers soon." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said police from Calumet and Manitowoc counties and from the state Division of Criminal Investigation were searching hundreds of vehicles in a 40-acre salvage yard about three miles west of Mishicot, just off State 147. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The salvage yard, on Avery Road, is owned by the family of Steven Avery, a Manitowoc County man who was released from prison in 2003 after serving 18 years in prison for a 1985 sexual assault. He was released after he was exonerated by DNA evidence. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Their searches were being assisted by dive teams from the Winnebago County Sheriff's Department, which was checking three ponds near the salvage yard, and from three K-9 units with officers and dogs. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Wisconsin State Patrol had a half-mile area around the salvage yard closed to traffic Sunday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Family and friends were told to concentrate their searches away from the salvage yard, north of State 147 and east of I-43. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Halbach, a freelance photographer who was taking photos for an automotive magazine, had three appointments last Monday in Manitowoc County and apparently was last seen after taking a photo of a vehicle Avery has for sale, authorities said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said her vehicle was located in the salvage yard about 10 a.m. Saturday by friends and family of Halbach who were searching the area. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calumet and Manitowoc County authorities obtained a search warrant for the salvage yard on Saturday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said additional search warrants, which he would not discuss in detail, were issued late Saturday and early Sunday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said Halbach's sport utility vehicle was impounded and taken to the state Crime Lab in Madison, where evidence technicians were examining it Sunday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avery was at a family cabin near Crivitz for the weekend. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said he has been interviewed by the Marinette County Sheriff's Department. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He declined to describe Avery as a suspect in Halbach's disappearance. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"At this point of time, everybody is a person of interest and a suspect," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A lot of things have been eliminated, and other pieces have been looked at. Steven Avery has been very cooperative, as far as we know on this end." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rob Hermann, Manitowoc County's undersheriff, disputed comments Avery made to a television reporter over the weekend that Manitowoc County police were setting him up. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's just not true," Hermann said. "If Mr. Avery feels that way, he is mistaken." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said Manitowoc County police have had some contact with Avery since his release from prison. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We have had some minimal contact — nothing serious," Hermann said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel said investigators have interviewed more than 100 people. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said there have been several leads from friends and relatives, but noted that Halbach had no criminal or medical history that would cause her to disappear. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We are exploring all those leads," he said, including information on people she knew or had dated in the past. "We are continuing to receive what we feel is valuable information from the public." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pagel and family members said there was no recent relationship that ended, and Pagel said there has been no activity on her cell phone account, financial accounts or credit cards since last Monday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As state troopers blocked roads and squad cars moved in and out of the salvage yard, Avery's neighbors watched and wondered Sunday. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steve Keehan, who lives about a half mile away, said he saw a State Patrol helicopter flying over the area most of Saturday, as well as Eagle III, a helicopter from Brown County Rescue. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said he didn't know if they were looking for Halbach or a suspect, but said his family locked their doors and their vehicles. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"My neighbor was going to go into the woods with his grandson and I told him not to," he said. "You don't know." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mike Halbach spent his weekend searching for his sister in Manitowoc County, and giving out maps from her home as friends and family members came to offer help. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He said he, his parents and his three other siblings appreciate the effort police are putting into the case. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's unbelievable," he said. "We really appreciate all the help. They are being very thorough." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As he waits and hopes, he thinks about his sister, who is a year and a half older than him. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It was all good stuff with her," he said. "There were never any enemies that we knew of." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She took photos of children, high school seniors, weddings and pictures for the car magazine, he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"She was happy 100 percent of the time. Very outgoing. Very loving. Photography was a large part of her life," he said. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"She's a very sweet girl. She would do anything for anyone," said Erin Boesch, who helped search with her fiance, Mike Nett, who lives next door and has known Teresa all of his life. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the meantime, Pagel said police will continue to search for the missing woman. [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Everything is wide open. We are looking at all aspects of possibilities. We are expanding our search and efforts. Our biggest concern is finding her. I am always optimistic." [/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] John Lee can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 362, or by e-mail at jlee@postcrescent.com. [/font][/font]

Very good article; thanks for posting that link.

I am wondering if anyone else was working in the yard that day. Someone who could have seen Teresa and knew Avery's history and figured he would be the prime suspect. Or Avery tried to hit on her, she was not interested, and things got out of hand. Perhaps he wanted things to be more than "just business".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer