D.C. Woman Arrested for Stealing 3 French Fries

Sheesh ... was this LEO working on quota or what? :rolleyes:

New online game coming up - "Grand Theft French Fry".

I looked around online to see what the situation was. Why would he arrest her? From what I saw in comments...and in other articles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...bf-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html#comments

apparently she was intoxicated and he asked her a few times to stop touching his food. She refused and said I guess you'll have to arrest me.' or something like that.

So in reality, she was arrested for public intoxication, most likely. He threw the 'stolen fries' in there as context. A judge would understand the situation if the officer explained she was drunk and messing with his food and refused to stop doing so.

I know for a fact, that many officers have been hassled and harassed by people wanting to cause a 'scuffle' so they can make a video and win some fame and money. Some of the public 'resist' even the simplest requests by officers these days, hoping for some kind of confrontation. Who walks up to an officer eating dinner and starts taking their food, over and over, even after being told to stop? That is just rude. A cop shouldn't have to put up with that. And walking away and giving her the food is not a good look either. Why should he let a drunk woman ruin his dinner break just because she wants to start something? I think he did the right thing. JMO :moo:

I looked around online to see what the situation was. Why would he arrest her? From what I saw in comments...and in other articles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...bf-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html#comments

apparently she was intoxicated and he asked her a few times to stop touching his food. She refused and said I guess you'll have to arrest me.' or something like that.

So in reality, she was arrested for public intoxication, most likely. He threw the 'stolen fries' in there as context. A judge would understand the situation if the officer explained she was drunk and messing with his food and refused to stop doing so.

I know for a fact, that many officers have been hassled and harassed by people wanting to cause a 'scuffle' so they can make a video and win some fame and money. Some of the public 'resist' even the simplest requests by officers these days, hoping for some kind of confrontation. Who walks up to an officer eating dinner and starts taking their food, over and over, even after being told to stop? That is just rude. A cop shouldn't have to put up with that. And walking away and giving her the food is not a good look either. Why should he let a drunk woman ruin his dinner break just because she wants to start something? I think he did the right thing. JMO :moo:

I'm only seeing commenters (which we don't discuss) speculating that she was drunk, nothing in the MSM articles other than the theft charge. Maybe there's more to the story, but as it stands now, sounds pretty over-the-top.

I'm about as pro-LEO as anyone, but if the actual charge is related only to the theft of fries, IMO that would be a ridiculous waste of police resources, court time, and taxpayers money when there are bigger fish to "fry".

Here is a local article that mentions the woman was intoxicated. In fact, it says 2 intoxicated women sat next to the officer.

http://www.local10.com/news/weird-news/woman-arrested-after-stealing-french-fries-from-cop

I remembered reading somewhere that she was intoxicated, but the first article or video I saw I didn't think was MSM so I found MSM articles to confirm it was a true story.

I agree that the officer had cause to arrest because he asked her to stop. Otherwise, what would stop her from taking all of the fries, and even the officer's whole meal, and from there going around to other restaurant patrons and taking their food also. I'm sure the public intoxication was part of the arrest, but would not get as many hits in the headlines.

After reading that local article I totally agree with the action the LE officer took.
That intoxicated woman was annoying and harassing the officer.
She would have really annoyed and harassed me, I would have to make a decision whether to walk away and let her have the food or ask the sales assistant to call the police, and then walk away from the food.
She would have harassed me out of the shop.

She was a danger to herself and others at that point. She was obviously very intoxicated to go and hassle a cop and grab his food like that. Who does that? She would have been vulnerable if she walked out into the streets in that condition---getting hit by a car, falling, getting into a fight with someone, etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back