1320 users online (310 members and 1010 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cruise Ship fends off pirate attack

OMG

A luxury cruise line will re-evaluate whether to offer future cruises off the coast of Somalia after pirates attempted to attack one of its ships early Saturday.

The modern-day pirates were in two small boats and carrying machine guns and a rocket-propelled grenade when they attempted the attack on Seabourn Cruise Lines' "Spirit" about 5:35 a.m. local time Saturday, Deborah Natansohn, president of the cruise line, told CNNRadio.

The ship was carrying 150 passengers and a crew of about 160.

The ship, she said, immediately instituted its emergency response system. "The occupants of those boats did not succeed in boarding the ship and eventually turned away ... our captain and crew did a terrific job taking responsive action."

Passenger Mike Rogers of Vancouver, Canada, said the pirates were shooting and sending rockets at the boat.

"The captain tried to run one of the boats over, but they were small boats, about 25 feet long," he told CNNRadio affiliate CKNW in Vancouver.

"Each one had four or five people on it, and (the captain) said he was going to do anything to keep them from getting on board."

The captain, however, did not hit the alarm button to alert passengers of the emergency, Rogers said.

"He announced it over the speakers, because he was scared people would run up on deck, and he didn't want people on deck because they would have been shot."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa...tes/index.html

WOW, that is scary. I have often thought that cruise ships were vulnerable to terrorist type attacks also. Seabourn is an upper class line, not cheap. Hmmm, might rethink furture travel plans. Honestly I am to the point that leaving the country just does not appeal to me anymore. To much stuff going on in the world. The hubby and I usually head to the Caribbean when we need a little R&R but the beaches in the good old USA are looking better every day.
    Retired 08/03/03

What a horrifying experience. Wow!

Oh good grief! And my daughter wants to travel Europe next summer after she graduates college. Maybe she'd enjoy a little domestic excursion in the good old U S of A.

fran

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    WOW, that is scary. I have often thought that cruise ships were vulnerable to terrorist type attacks also. Seabourn is an upper class line, not cheap. Hmmm, might rethink furture travel plans. Honestly I am to the point that leaving the country just does not appeal to me anymore. To much stuff going on in the world. The hubby and I usually head to the Caribbean when we need a little R&R but the beaches in the good old USA are looking better every day.
    I agree Shadow205, the world is becoming a very scary place, and especially so, for Americans. I receive mailout brochures from Seabourn, not that I would ever consider paying their prices. Too bad that emergency response they have on board the ship, didn't include calling in a couple of strike aircraft, to reduce the number of pirates by a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    Seabourn is a wonderful ship. I loved it. I am pissed they damaged it. (use your imagination as to the ugly words I am thinking.) I think it is funny the captain tried to run over their stealing butts. God blessed those passengers and the crew by keeping anyone from getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    I agree Shadow205, the world is becoming a very scary place, and especially so, for Americans. I receive mailout brochures from Seabourn, not that I would ever consider paying their prices. Too bad that emergency response they have on board the ship, didn't include calling in a couple of strike aircraft, to reduce the number of pirates by a few.
    I agree Buzz. It is getting unsafe everywhere. I am tired of the loser criminals having so many rights. I do wish someone had taken a few of them out myself.

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP, granted they had major firepower. But honestly did they really beleive that the captain was going to stop long enough for them the scramble on board!

Pirates?!? They're still around??

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?
    It's Rated arrrrrrrrrhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by 2luvmy
    Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP, granted they had major firepower. But honestly did they really beleive that the captain was going to stop long enough for them the scramble on board!
    I assume they thought the captain would stop and allow them to steal on board for exchange of not bombing the ship or shooting anyone. If they had attacked the ship at a later time, such as lunch, they might have had more leverage in getting the captain to stop. As is was, almost everyone was still in bed, so no one was on deck in the line of gun fire. Stupid criminals. Not smart enough to even think the crime all the way through. LOL...but most criminals are not the brightest crayon in the box to start with.

All it would take to get on board would be to threaten to use the rocket launcher to punch a hole below the waterline. Luckily, the ship's captain realized its better to deal with something the crew is trained for (abandoning ship) than something it hasn't (being boarded by pirates).Actually, if the pirates had waited until dark, they probably would have been able to get on board via the ship's launching port, used for sending guests to the main land on excursions, and taken the ship by stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pook
    Pirates?!? They're still around??

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?
    It's Rated arrrrrrrrrhhhhh
    Yeah. They never really went away--just moved their base of operations. But none of them are anything like Johnny Depp. Or even Wallace Beery

OK--why would anyone want to cruise off the coast of SOMALIA??? That is just asking for it, IMO. Thank God these people are safe and the captain and crew are heroes.

Glad everyone is safe...but WTH were those pirates thinking. They had two little boats compared to the HUGE SHIP,
    The Spirit is not a huge ship - only about 300 people onboard - total - and the boats the pirates were using were 25 feet long speedboats.

Remember the 9/11 terrorists has box cutters and nothing else and look what they accomplished.

The was a real narrow escape from what could have been a MAJOR incident. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    OK--why would anyone want to cruise off the coast of SOMALIA??? That is just asking for it, IMO. Thank God these people are safe and the captain and crew are heroes.
    That was our first thought as well. This wasn't exactly the Virgin Islands.

Sebourne is an extremely upscale luxurious cruise line.. right now the Spirit is on a 16 day cruise from Cairo to Kenya.

They do some fabulous before and after extensions with Egypt tours and Kenyan Safaris.

FYI - the lowest category of cabin is $18,000 USD per person

and the nicest suite is 30,000.00 per person.

This is cruise only - the land extensions are extra

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast