Halloween Mystery

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A small vaudeville-style suitcase topped with a straw hat and flanked by flowers sat on a rise at Calvary Cemetery on Halloween morning.

The cemetery caretaker hadn't seen it there when he locked up the night before. But he noticed it first thing Monday morning as he made his rounds through the cemetery on Newburg Road just south of Eastern Parkway.

When the caretaker opened the suitcase and found what looked like human bones, he called police.

The medical examiner verified that the bones were human -- and very old, Green said.

But there is little other information that can be gathered from the bones, which do not form a full skeleton. There are no teeth or skull, which makes tracing the bones more difficult, Green said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051104/NEWS01/511040454

Wonder if some fool disturbed a grave for a prank!:doh:

And they couldn't lift any prints from the suitcase, hat or flowers? (can you tell I watch too much CSI)?

I live by an old cemetery in the middle of our town. Walked past it on the way to the store the day prior to halloween, and noticed a city vehicle parked inside the gates with it's lights off. On the way back past, I noticed it doing a slow drive around without it's lights, and was probably stationed there to make sure there were no pranksters the following night too. Asked hubby if he'd do that job, and he said they no doubt got overtime, but I think they'd need a little extra incentive. ;)

Anyway, it's no doubt an old body that's been sitting in someone's basement forever, and this was the only time of year they could get it out of there. Maybe some type of gangster or something to do with prohibition maybe due to the time frame of the suitcase?

Someone needs to go back and look at the archives of the newspapers and find any missing person stories.

That is a good theory Pook. Since it was only a partial skeleton, I wondered if maybe someone had been doing some grave robbing, and that maybe parents or someone might be returning the bones but didn't want to have their kids implicated. But that doesn't explain the suitcase.
The straw hat and flowers are an odd note though. The flowers seem like either a loving gesture or a regretful gesture. The staw hat, also maybe a loving gesture, like he was always wearing a straw hat, maybe wanting him it to be buried with him?
I wonder if maybe they were in someone's basement and they were now going into a nursing home or were moving.

I've been trying to search for any more news, but can't find anything as of yet. At least to find out if they've determined if it's a man or a woman. I just heard recently that there's a piece of the tailbone that will generally tell you if it's a male or female.

What a plotline for "Bones".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back