1230 users online (156 members and 1074 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376

    GA - DFCS Workers Jailed for Disobeying Judge

    What do you think?

    COURT JAILS 4 WORKERS FOR DFCS

    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...5metfired.html

    A Newton County judge jailed the director and three staff members of the county child welfare agency Friday for refusing to remove a boy from his father's care and put him in a foster home.

    The caseworkers had disagreed with Juvenile Court Judge Billy Waters' order and tried to persuade him to leave the boy with his biological father. They were jailed on charges of contempt of court after a hearing Friday.

    Waters ordered the workers to spend 24 hours in jail and fined them $250 apiece.

    The judge had told the workers about a week ago to move the boy to a foster home. It remained unclear Friday why the judge wanted the boy moved, as court officials said they could not discuss an ongoing juvenile case. Attempts to reach the judge Friday evening were unsuccessful.

    State child welfare officials said the four workers were standing up for the best interests of the boy, so much so they were willing to go jail.

    "This is what these workers do every day, work with kids and try to get them the best placements. And they were willing to go to jail for it today," said Dena Smith, spokeswoman for the Department of Human Resources, which oversees the state Division of Family and Children Services, which handles welfare cases.

    see link for remainder of article. . . edited by DP for copyright violation
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 11-07-2005 at 04:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11,071
    It would have made more sense to remove the boy until everything was cleared up. The judge must have had a reason to want the boy removed. So many children have been left with or handed back to parents who shouldn't have them because Child Protective Services think families should stay together. I don't have much faith in the decisions the workers make.

    I wonder how the worker can say that she doesn't think the judge had the juradiction or authority to make the decision that he made....that only her agency can make those decisions????? That sounds strange to me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Doesn't it seem odd, though, that all four of them felt strongly enough to go to jail over this? That the mother (who had the children taken from her by DFCS) and other family members admitted that the boy was doing well with the dad? That the judge didn't give any reason for having the boy removed?

    This really makes me want to know the rest of the story. Maybe the judge is right. DFCS does NOT have a good track record here, but usually it is b/c they are so overworked or apathetic that they really don't have a grasp of the situation. This seems more like everyone is very involved (maybe overinvolved) and has a strong difference of opinion.

    I'll be interested to see what happens with this one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376

    Judge Stands by Decision, still won't say why

    Okay, now my interest is really piqued!

    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/1105/06dfcs.html

    Newton County Judge Billy Waters on Saturday defended his decision to jail four child welfare workers who refused his order to remove a girl from her father's care and put her into a foster home.

    "It's unfortunate it got to this position. But if someone violates a court order whether it's an agency or a person there's sanctions that follow," Waters said in a telephone interview. "All I was doing was my job."

    Waters' decision Friday to hold the workers in contempt of court and jail them for a day has been criticized by the state child advocate, who maintained that the juvenile court judge exceeded his legal authority in ordering the child's removal. The child was removed from her father's home Monday, according to family members. It was unclear why the judge jailed the workers several days after the child was put in a foster home.

    EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYRIGHT VIOLATION
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 11-07-2005 at 04:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    The article said the judge was upset at the father for something. I believe the judge is on a power trip. When that many people are saying the placement is appropriate, including the therapist, then I tend to think the judge has an agenda other than the best placement of the child.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws
    The article said the judge was upset at the father for something. I believe the judge is on a power trip. When that many people are saying the placement is appropriate, including the therapist, then I tend to think the judge has an agenda other than the best placement of the child.
    ITA with you that something is not right with the judge here. Makes you wonder if he knows someone involved with this child's case.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    It would have made more sense to remove the boy until everything was cleared up. The judge must have had a reason to want the boy removed. So many children have been left with or handed back to parents who shouldn't have them because Child Protective Services think families should stay together. I don't have much faith in the decisions the workers make.

    I wonder how the worker can say that she doesn't think the judge had the juradiction or authority to make the decision that he made....that only her agency can make those decisions????? That sounds strange to me.
    I so agree with you Bobbi, there is a reason for his decision! He is not obligated to bring up, or share the reasons with the case workers as it may VERY CONFIDENTIAL and deal with something that wouldn't be in the best interest of the child.

    Eventually it will come out as to why he made this decision, and I don't think it was because he wanted to make a 'Power Play".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    I've seen enough therapists who get blinded by their own wishes (what they wish reality was like), and family DFCS type workers who unreasonably biased towards keeping the family together to be ready to say the judge is wrong. A good manipulator father can easily get the therapist and the workers to think he's a good guy. I do wonder if the judge had a private word with the child or something.

    In any case, seems reasonable to me to go ahead and place the child someplace else for awhile to be sure you get the real story.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Ya'll, PLEASE do not post entire articles. Snips only!!! Thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    I've seen enough therapists who get blinded by their own wishes (what they wish reality was like), and family DFCS type workers who unreasonably biased towards keeping the family together to be ready to say the judge is wrong. A good manipulator father can easily get the therapist and the workers to think he's a good guy. I do wonder if the judge had a private word with the child or something.

    In any case, seems reasonable to me to go ahead and place the child someplace else for awhile to be sure you get the real story.
    I wonder if we will hear anything else about it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws
    I wonder if we will hear anything else about it.
    Maybe YES, and then maybe NO!

    I think it will depend on what the Judge's reason was for not allowing her to remain with her dad.

    I agree with Details, put her out of any possible "harms way" until all the facts are reviewed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Ya'll, PLEASE do not post entire articles. Snips only!!! Thanks.
    Sorry...ajc.com requires registration so the link would not have worked. I hate when that happens! Won't do it again.



Similar Threads

  1. UK - Judge Constance Briscoe jailed for lying to Police
    By zwiebel in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 06:49 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM
  4. Judge jailed 46 people after no one would own up to a cell phone that rang in court
    By Blue_Dolphin308 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
  5. Judge Toller - Judge in Darlie Routier's case dies
    By mollymalone in forum Darlie Routier
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM