OK - Terence Crutcher, 40, fatally shot by Tulsa PD officer, 16 Sept 2016

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
Graphic video: Tulsa Police footage from fatal shooting of unarmed Terence Crutcher

Tulsa Police at a news conference Monday about the fatal shooting of Terence Crutcher said he did not have a weapon on his person or in his vehicle.

The fatal shooting occurred after officers responding to an unrelated call spotted 40-year-old Crutcher's vehicle stalled near 36th Street North and Lewis Avenue on Friday evening. Police have released few details of what happened, but a spokeswoman said Crutcher refused to follow officers' commands in the moments before the shot was fired.

Chief Chuck Jordan said he found the video "very disturbing — very difficult to watch."

He also explained some of the basic facts, including that no gun was found on Crutcher or in his vehicle. He did not elaborate because of what he called a pending criminal investigation.

"It will come out," Jordan said of the details surrounding the fatal shooting. "I will make this promise to you: We will achieve justice in this case."

This was a senseless killing. Watching these videos was stomach turning. I hope Tulsa can remain peaceful.

Tulsa police release transcripts from helicopter leading up to fatal shooting of Terence Crutcher

Around seven seconds following that conversation, someone in the helicopter says “Also, got a feeling it’s about to happen. It looks like a bad dude, too. Might be on something.”

Then police officer traffic can be heard saying “Which way are they facing?” After that someone in the helicopter can be heard saying “Police One, they are facing westbound. Uhh, I think he may have just been tasered.”

The officers on dispatch can be heard shouting, “Shots fired!” With someone in the helicopter saying “Ohhhhh.”

He looked like a bad dude because he walking slowly with his hands up, obeying orders, not carrying a weapon?

Or something else maybe?

I'm not seeing a reason for him to be shot. Looking at the copter footage he doesn't appear to have his hands up right before that, but no reason to be shot... also, what caused the other Officer to use his taser?

So many white people, including sadly, many LE officers just cannot comprehend the deep seated, gut wrenching fear that many of our Black citizens have of the Police. That in my opinion explains some of the seemingly illogical things we see on some of these videos. Suspects reaching for something freezing up when told to do something, etc. We truly live in parallel worlds, or so it seems at times.

And they have reason to fear. No wonder Colin K finally had it and is doing the protests.

Remember the man in SC last year who was stopped for routine equipment violation and bolted from the car in terror? It turned out there was nothing serious against him. There were posters on this board who seemed utterly sure that he was guilty of something; otherwise why did he run? How about blind fear?

And they have reason to fear. No wonder Colin K finally had it and is doing the protests.

How people are more upset about some ball players kneeling on the field than citizens being shot in the street is beyond me. Good for Colin and good for all the others joining him. At least they're saying something.

Terence Crutcher slaying: Police address concerns raised by chatter in chopper video

David Shelby was the passenger in the helicopter. He and the unidentified pilot tell each other they believe one of the officers on scene will use a Taser.
Sgt. Shane Tuell said David Shelby's presence in the area was "happenstance" and that the helicopter wasn't specifically assigned to a call.

"Looks like a bad dude, too," according to chatter between the two officers heard on the helicopter's video. "Could be on something."

Tuell said David Shelby wasn't the officer who commented on Crutcher's appearance. He also added that the remark wasn't heard by Betty Shelby because it wasn't uttered over radio communications.

"I know (the officer) wasn't saying it facetiously," Tuell said. "(Crutcher) appeared from the helicopter to be much larger than (Betty Shelby)."

Just watched the video- dear God.

The cops in the copter made comments about how he looked like a 'real mean dude'. They must have remarkable eyesight. To me it looked as if he wanted to walk back to his car because he somehow felt safer there rather than standing in the street, he had his hands up all the time. He was not on the ground from being tased more than a few seconds before the cop discharged her gun. I wonder if he spasmed and she assumed he was going for a gun. I was not there. There may be something not picked up on the video, but the Police in this case appear to have behaved with reckless regard for his life.

I am so saddened and totally appalled to my very core. We watch this happening time after time. What are the answers here. I know there are no easy answers but something has to change. There is a cancer in our Law Enforcement Depts, and it needs to be addressed. I used to make excuses in my mind, the officer was afraid, the officer mistook them for having a weapon....but that is just not working for me anymore. I know there are many fine Officers, and I totally respect ALL Law Enforcement for what they do for us....but something needs changed. Stricter hiring practices, more training, perhaps criminally prosecuting Officers who murder....being afraid is not an excuse in this or many cases. Oh my a black person....wow let me cower in fear and be so afraid that I shoot innocent people. I am so done with this.... Something has to happen, something has to change....Sorry I am ranting, but truly am so tired of the violence. And If I was black I would be scared to death being pulled over, its a no brainer that if your black its a roll of the dice .....So sorry...IMHO

Terence Crutcher, black motorist with stalled car, shot dead by Okla. police

Body unattended for nearly 2 minutes

After the shooting, Crutcher could be seen lying on the side of the road, blood pooling around his body, for nearly two minutes before anyone checked on him. When asked why police did not provide immediate assistance once Crutcher was down, MacKenzie said, "I don't know that we have protocol on how to render aid to people."

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma, which also called for charges, said Crutcher was left to bleed while officers stood by. The group's executive director, Ryan Kiesel, said Crutcher's death shows "how little regard" Tulsa police have for the community's minorities.

U.S. Attorney Danny C. Williams said the Department of Justice's civil rights investigation into the shooting will be separate from a local one into whether criminal charges should be filed.

"The Justice Department is committed to investigating allegations of force by law enforcement officers and will devote whatever resources are necessary to ensure that all allegations of serious civil rights violations are fully and completely investigated," he said.

I am so saddened and totally appalled to my very core. We watch this happening time after time. What are the answers here. I know there are no easy answers but something has to change. There is a cancer in our Law Enforcement Depts, and it needs to be addressed. I used to make excuses in my mind, the officer was afraid, the officer mistook them for having a weapon....but that is just not working for me anymore. I know there are many fine Officers, and I totally respect ALL Law Enforcement for what they do for us....but something needs changed. Stricter hiring practices, more training, perhaps criminally prosecuting Officers who murder....being afraid is not an excuse in this or many cases. Oh my a black person....wow let me cower in fear and be so afraid that I shoot innocent people. I am so done with this.... Something has to happen, something has to change....Sorry I am ranting, but truly am so tired of the violence. And If I was black I would be scared to death being pulled over, its a no brainer that if your black its a roll of the dice .....So sorry...IMHO

And Terence hadn't even been pulled over. His car stalled.

There's not a busted tail light or expired tag for these officers to hide behind. He was murdered, for nothing, and I don't believe for a second his life mattered to any one of the cops who stood there and watched him die.

And Terence hadn't even been pulled over. His car stalled.

There's not a busted tail light or expired tag for these officers to hide behind. He was murdered, for nothing, and I don't believe for a second his life mattered to any one of the cops who stood there and watched him die.

BBM. My thoughts exactly. It was like they walked around in a daze for 2 minutes before even attempting to check on him or render aid. Unbelievable and totally unacceptable.

This was a senseless killing. Watching these videos was stomach turning. I hope Tulsa can remain peaceful.

More than anything, I hope Tulsa can solve it's tragic problem with poor police training.

Tulsa police release transcripts from helicopter leading up to fatal shooting of Terence Crutcher

He looked like a bad dude because he walking slowly with his hands up, obeying orders, not carrying a weapon?

Or something else maybe?

Yes, the remarks of the "professionals" in the helicopter are appalling. Their attitudes reveal their bigotry and explain why these senseless killings of innocent people are happening. Retrain them or replace them. All of them. They're public safety hazard.

From the dash video it looked like the responding police car raced to the scene with sirens blaring; ran through red lights. You'd have thought they were responding to a mass shooting rather than to a stalled car. By the time they got there their adrenaline was probably running . That didn't help their thinking. What exactly was the big deal? They ought to have set up traffic control, called for a tow for him. It seems by the time they got there they were baited for bear. Pathetic.

I have to wonder what the 911 call was like. Was it some 'helpful citizen' exaggerating what was going on?

I know nothing bout the TPD but assume like most others they have protocols and give their officers training on how to deal with persons from other cultures. The problem is with the culture most of them operate in. It does no good to offer training then have them go back to the locker room and have the older cops guffaw and tell them its all BS. I sometimes think we need to get rid of a large number of police officers. So many of them are oppositional to any change. The Police Unions are usually the worst.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back