UK UK - Christopher Halliwell, suspected serial killer

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Telegraph:

Becky Godden murder trial verdict: Did double killer prey on other vulnerable women?

Killer taxi driver Christopher Halliwell may have murdered more vulnerable young women, police and relatives warned as it emerged he tried to cut a deal to avoid questions about other cases.

Officers are set to renew pressure on Halliwell to detail whether he committed other sexually-motivated crimes in the eight years between the deaths of Becky Godden and Sian O'Callaghan.

Prior to the trial, Halliwell hinted that he would admit to the murder of Godden if he was not pursued for other crimes.
---

more at the link above

WS Threads

Becky Godden

Sian O'Callaghan

Did I read correctly somewhere that, police had found clothing belonging to Sian, Becky AND other women's clothing? If that's true then I highly doubt that he just popped into a charity shop and bought them, they will certainly be more trophies :(

Did I read correctly somewhere that, police had found clothing belonging to Sian, Becky AND other women's clothing? If that's true then I highly doubt that he just popped into a charity shop and bought them, they will certainly be more trophies :(
Not sure, but someone who has followed the cases I'm sure can tell us. I do remember women's clothing being found though.

I think it's highly likely that he has killed a least one other person. But I don't think he'll do any more talking.

Having started both the O'Callaghan and the Godden threads I thus read quite a bit about the cases and others nearby which may be on Mr Halliwell's tab. But I remember thinking he'd also done a bit of roaming and that it wouldn't surprise me if his island-wide toll was in two figures and not just a single one. But even one more killing -- or even "only" the two -- give the correct dire impression of the bitter toll that this killer took.

"It can now be revealed that in the mid-80s, while he was in prison for an unrelated offence, Halliwell asked a prisoner how many women one needed to kill before being considered a serial killer."

That really does sound as though he had killed at that point. If he's 52 now, that would put him in his early 20s in the mid-1980s - so they need to take his life apart from the mid-1970s onwards as he probably started with sexual assault and rape before he graduated to killing.

DM article from 2012 about the pond where Sian's clothes were found. Other items led police to believe CH may have killed before

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iller-murdered-six-women-remote-woodland.html

I read that article and about the pile of clothing found nearby - but surely finding a shotgun in the pond must have been investigated?

I haven't found another mention of that anywhere yet, but I don't believe in coincidences.

Be very interested if anyone can find news about what LE did about the shotgun.

Having started both the O'Callaghan and the Godden threads I thus read quite a bit about the cases and others nearby which may be on Mr Halliwell's tab. But I remember thinking he'd also done a bit of roaming and that it wouldn't surprise me if his island-wide toll was in two figures and not just a single one. But even one more killing -- or even "only" the two -- give the correct dire impression of the bitter toll that this killer took.

Can I ask if you have any specific reasons that CH could have killed in other areas? You mention "he'd done a bit of roaming" and I'd be very interested in other areas he lived.

I can't even find out why he was in prison in the 80's - can anyone help there? Google doesn't tell me.

Another thing I',m curious of is was he a 'mini-cab' driver or a proper 'taxi driver'. Odd question, but here (UK) mini cabs must be ordered and taxicabs can pick up at random - also taxicab drivers have to have registration which entails checks. Anybody can set themselves up as a minicab !!

Questions, questions, sorry. Hope for help though.

He was a private hire taxi driver working for Five Star private hire at the time of Sians murder.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14751931.Halliwell_trial__Sister_tells_of_killer_s_disturbed_childhood/

He became a taxi driver and then ran his own chauffeur business but in January 2010 he was declared bankrupt and returned to private hire cabs.

Halliwell had only been working for Five Star private hire for a couple of weeks when he struck again, murdering Sian O'Callaghan.

will come back if I find out why he was in prison in the 80's

If the pile of clothing was that of his other possible victims, these are probably his trophies, that he's been back to revisit many many times, I would love to know what makes people like him tick. I wonder if there's any articles about him as a child and how he behaved as a child ect.

Can I ask if you have any specific reasons that CH could have killed in other areas? You mention "he'd done a bit of roaming" and I'd be very interested in other areas he lived.

snip

"I remember thinking he'd also done a bit of roaming" was a (perhaps baseless, perhaps not) surmise, based on the feeling his kill total would't be confined to one area but rather, as he was mobile, would also reflect either regions he'd been known to frequent (though I know of none), or of dark jaunts further in both mileage and destiny.

I know of nothing other than what can be found and researched online. It's neither abundant nor particularly specific, as I recall.

Good question(s) though!

snipped

Thanks for your reply, and for starting this thread.

There isn't much online as you say - but no doubt the police have masses of information and research services at their fingertips.
I suppose we can only watch and wait, read what we can and have our own personal theories.
At the very least CH can do no more harm thank goodness.
Yes thank goodness indeed. I suppose my surmise must be based on nothing more objective than "a feeling" that this guy's even more of a bad-un than we know. I thought we needed a catch-all thread to contain everyone's thoughts, feelings, and theories, objective or subjective (or both really).

Guardian:

Becky Godden detective: why I broke rules over Christopher Halliwell

Chris Halliwell: painstaking fight to bring Becky Godden's killer to justice

Sun:

---
Det Supt Sean Memory, who led the case against Halliwell, said he is in "no doubt" he was capable of other murders.

He said: “I’m definitely concerned. I do know that Halliwell was very forensically aware. When he killed Sian he removed items of her clothing, he tried to get rid of fibres and he tried to get rid of items from his car. I definitely can’t rule out he committed other offences.
---
A police source said: "From his teens onwards, we are looking at a potential offending period of more than 30 years.

"We know he travelled all over the country working as a driver, or in the construction industry, and we are also looking at where he took his holidays on his narrow boat. He could have left victims anywhere in the UK."
---
BBC:

Police hunt for further victims of Christopher Halliwell

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member