Tornadoes in KY & IN Several Deaths Reported

Thanks for posting this Shadow!!
I just read about it on Yahoo news. :(
Prayers for everyone there...

with love,

Ariel

Fox saying 15 confirmed dead and 120 being treated at hospital. Isn't a tornado unusual for this time of year?

concernedperson said:
Fox saying 15 confirmed dead and 120 being treated at hospital. Isn't a tornado unusual for this time of year?
It doesn't happen in this area on a frequent basis but so far this fall it has been unusually warm - yesterday we were close to 80 - this might not sound all that warm but it is sufficient to create lift in the atmosphere. I can recall a tornado on Christmas day about 10 years ago. Not common but not exactly unusual either.

:eek: I just saw this story on the aol head line news. It is so sad. This year has been horrible for people all over. My prayers for those affected by this deadly tornado.:(

deespoohbear said:
I grew up in Evansville. My parents and siblings still live in the Evansville area. Thankfully they are all present and accounted for this morning. The death toll is now up to 17.

For updated coverage on this story, check out the following:

http://www.14wfie.com/

http://www.courierpress.com/
Thanks for the links. I grew up in Owensboro - use to go to Henderson and E town all the time. Glad your relatives are okay. Sounds like this must have been an F3 or F4 tornado, very bad news.

Mother Nature sure hasn't been very nice this year. Prayers for all those affected by the devastating tornadoes.

I am happy yalls family and friends are:woohoo: safe.

The injured are at 200 and the death toll is expected to rise. This is the 2nd deadliest tornado in Indiana history, second only to the Super Outbreak in 1974, which was the largest outbreak of twisters in American history! This time all from ONE tornado!

Here in the northern part of the state we had severe thunderstorms warnings and tornado watches. I was awake doing my storm spotter thing (from the safety of my house, lol, but at the windows) and there was quite a roar and for a few moments I thought a tornado was coming through, but it turned out not to be. Others reported the same roar, but nothing has been reported twister-wise. The winds have been extremely strong, as well, all day. We dropped from 64 degrees at midnight to currently 46! :eek:

We'd been without power for about 5 hours here in Michigan (not good when you have an internet addiction). The wind sure is wicked today. Still trying to figure out if our wind is somehow connected to what spawned the tornado. Not at all warm here, so it's surprising to hear of Tornado's in November.

Pook said:
We'd been without power for about 5 hours here in Michigan (not good when you have an internet addiction). The wind sure is wicked today. Still trying to figure out if our wind is somehow connected to what spawned the tornado. Not at all warm here, so it's surprising to hear of Tornado's in November.
Yes, it's all connected to a strong cold front that moved through last night. The storms moved FAST, too, at around 60mph! Any time you get a clash between warm-ish air and much colder air, the instability can cause tornadoes. (As I said, we dropped 20 degrees quickly.) There was an F4 tornado about an hour away from me in November just a few years ago, I remember.

They think the tornado was at least an F3 and possibly and F4. From what damage I saw, I am thinking an F4 isn't out of the question.

An overnight tornado ripped a 20-mile-long path through southwestern Indiana, killing at least 22 people and injuring some 230 others, officials said Sunday.

Adam Groupey, deputy director of emergency management for Evansville and Vanderburgh County, said the tornado touched down about 2 a.m. in Henderson County, Kentucky, then crossed the Ohio River and hit an Evansville mobile home park before moving into Warrick County.
http://www.wkrc.com/breaking/story.aspx?content_id=9DB8AE73-7FEB-4A54-AC8F-ADA51659DCDE

State and county officials say the death toll in the wake of a tornado that struck southwestern Indiana has risen to 20.

Officials expect it to grow even higher as rescuers comb through debris in a devastated mobile home park near Evansville -- but they had good news early Sunday afternoon.

Rescuers found a young girl alive in a ditch at an Evansville trailer park devastated by the overnight tornado.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/11/06/tornado.html

A line of severe storms rolled through the Tri-state overnight.

The severe weather traveled east and headed to the Tri-state area bringing strong winds and rain.

One Pendleton County viewer watching 9News meteorologist Cindy O'Quinn's Sunday morning forecast calling for severe weather in some areas of Kentucky, called into the station.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/11/06/local_damage.html

Hi raisincharlie and deespoohbear ~ didn't know you were or are from this part of Indiana!!

I grew up about thirty miles from Evansville and currently still live only fifty miles away. I actually lived in Evansville for a period of time many years ago. Still go shopping, etc., there and in Newburgh, which is an absolutely beautiful place, with its locks and dams, and quaint little shops. I am just sick at seeing the damage and loss of life, which keeps climbing. God bless the rescue and emergency crews who were on the scene very quickly and have been working tirelessly to find survivors. We have some friends that we don't know if they are okay, and we have one friend who has a friend whose son was killed. They have not found his wife and two kids yet. So very sad.

DK ~ I was up last night keeping an eye on the weather, too, and saw this monster show up on radar and race through the area. Very scary, especially when you knew that most people were asleep and completely unaware of what was coming at them. We were so lucky here in my town to only get some very strong winds and lots of lightning.

Blessings to all affected ~

I live in Ohio and the last weather report I heard yesterday was that a storm was expected early today, and then we were supposed to have a pretty day the rest of the day.
When I went online this eve. I heard about the tornado warnings and that my area had been under a tornado warning too, but I had slept through it. (that in itself is pretty scary).
This tornado is unusual not only by the fact that it occurred so late in the season, but that it happened at night. I believe that they usually occur during daylight hours. Coming at night meant that most were not aware of it being in the area, most would not have recieved the warning.

hello everyone. I live about 13 miles from where all this has happened. It is truely a tragedy. The race track was destroyed also. Several horses were killed and a section of the grandstand was demolished. So many people are hurt and several have said it could have been much worse if it wasn't for the coverage of the weather on local channels. Angel Mounds which is a historical ageological(sp) dig was severly damaged also. Just keep everyone in prayers.

These natural happenings are devastating to the ones involved. It shakes your core and the people left have to deal the same way victims of child abuse have to deal. All of it is hard to swallow but none of it is your fault.Blessings to the people in this storm's path and hopefully FEMA will be a saving grace.

Silverwolf said:
Hi raisincharlie and deespoohbear ~ didn't know you were or are from this part of Indiana!!

<snip for space>

Blessings to all affected ~
Silverwolf,

I'm not really from Indiana, Owensboro KY, but we use to go to Evansville all the time. Lots of Rigatta's on the Ohio River - a lot of them ran between O town and E town. My Great Aunt and Uncle ran a water pumping station on the Wabash River up by Terre Haute so I got pretty familiar with that area as well. I now reside in Missouri but get back that way four or five times a year. Still a beautiful area. So sorry this has happened, will say prayers for all.

mysteriew said:
I live in Ohio and the last weather report I heard yesterday was that a storm was expected early today, and then we were supposed to have a pretty day the rest of the day.
When I went online this eve. I heard about the tornado warnings and that my area had been under a tornado warning too, but I had slept through it. (that in itself is pretty scary).
This tornado is unusual not only by the fact that it occurred so late in the season, but that it happened at night. I believe that they usually occur during daylight hours. Coming at night meant that most were not aware of it being in the area, most would not have recieved the warning.
The sirens went off, but apparently it didn't wake people up. Police and fire should have also been out using their PA systems to warn people. I don't know quite what happened that so few were woken up. Although there isn't much you can do in a mobile home, sadly. Plus, at night, it is VERY difficult to see the twister coming.

Tornadoes do happen most often late afternoon, but yes, they do occur at all hours of the day and night, every month of the year, and in every state, without exception.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back