801 users online (107 members and 694 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MI - Sgt Kenneth Steil, 46, St Clair Shores, Succumbed to Injuries

Mourners gathered Friday morning to pay respects to Sgt. Kenneth Steil, a Detroit police officer who died last week after being shot five days prior.

Read more at ... http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/m...fter-shooting_

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...eral/90899022/

I don't remember reading about this previously. Sgt Steil was shot in the shoulder while pursuing a carjacking suspect. He was expected to be discharged from the hospital the day he developed a blood clot and died.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

It's such a tragedy that he was shot in the first place. Should have never happened to begin with. The second tragedy is dying from a preventable blood clot. The chances would have dropped by 95% if they had performed a clotting time test when he was admitted to the hospital. Then he could have been on a daily aspirin if the doc deemed it to be helpful. Ans his age had nothing to do with it. I've heard about this happening to people as young as 19.

Quote Originally Posted by glf View Post
    It's such a tragedy that he was shot in the first place. Should have never happened to begin with. The second tragedy is dying from a preventable blood clot. The chances would have dropped by 95% if they had performed a clotting time test when he was admitted to the hospital. Then he could have been on a daily aspirin if the doc deemed it to be helpful. Ans his age had nothing to do with it. I've heard about this happening to people as young as 19.
    Ummm, daily aspirin doesn't work that fast, and clotting times are skewed after a penetrating injury. You also do not anticoagulate a patient immediately after a penetrating injury. Not every clot is preventable.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    Ummm, daily aspirin doesn't work that fast, and clotting times are skewed after a penetrating injury. You also do not anticoagulate a patient immediately after a penetrating injury. Not every clot is preventable.
    I realize it isn't recommended after a serious injury, and I do understand not every clot is preventable. But, say 48 hrs later, it might be a good idea to do a clotting time test. It's terrible that clots cannot be detected when they are very small, and those are usually the troublemakers! Just seems like we hear all too often of death R/T a blood clot. Thanks for reminding me I'm a nurse, and I wasn't thinking like one! Death from things we cannot detect is so frustrating! And I think about leaving a wife and two young boys. I lost my first husband in a motorcycle accident, and our boys were 2yrs, 8mo, and 10mo.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    I watched live stream of the funeral mass yesterday. Police Chief promoted Sgt. Steil to Captain posthumously My thoughts and prayers are with the Steil family

ETA: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...eral/90926768/
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 09-24-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glf View Post
    I realize it isn't recommended after a serious injury, and I do understand not every clot is preventable. But, say 48 hrs later, it might be a good idea to do a clotting time test. It's terrible that clots cannot be detected when they are very small, and those are usually the troublemakers! Just seems like we hear all too often of death R/T a blood clot. Thanks for reminding me I'm a nurse, and I wasn't thinking like one! Death from things we cannot detect is so frustrating! And I think about leaving a wife and two young boys. I lost my first husband in a motorcycle accident, and our boys were 2yrs, 8mo, and 10mo.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your first husband, glf. You can certainly identify with the heartache Officer Steil's family is experiencing.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

This is so sad. The relief the family must of had for the Captain to of survived the shooting. Ready to welcome him home and then to have this happen. My prayers to the family, his police family and his community.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

OT/Related

FBI: Man made threats online to bomb funeral for slain Detroit police officer

By John Steckroth - Digital news editor

Posted: 11:38 AM, September 28, 2016
    Updated: 11:47 AM, September 28, 2016

DETROIT - As the Detroit Police Department was laying a fallen officer to rest, threats were being made on social media.

The funeral for Capt. Kenneth Steil was held on Friday and a vast number of the city’s officers were in attendance. The sad event was livestreamed across multiple platforms.

A threat was made in the comment section of one livestream prompting the FBI to investigate.

Deshawn Maurice Lanton is accused of making threats to injure using interstate communications, according to a federal criminal complaint filed Wednesday....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/f...fallen-officer