GUILTY MI - Sgt. Kenneth Steil, 46, fatally shot, Detroit, 12 Sept 2016

Indy Anna

Reaction score

Mourners gathered Friday morning to pay respects to Sgt. Kenneth Steil, a Detroit police officer who died last week after being shot five days prior.

Read more at ... http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mourners-remember-detroit-officer-who-died-after-shooting_

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...lice-sergeant-kenneth-steil-funeral/90899022/

I don't remember reading about this previously. Sgt Steil was shot in the shoulder while pursuing a carjacking suspect. He was expected to be discharged from the hospital the day he developed a blood clot and died.
:tears:

It's such a tragedy that he was shot in the first place. Should have never happened to begin with. The second tragedy is dying from a preventable blood clot. The chances would have dropped by 95% if they had performed a clotting time test when he was admitted to the hospital. Then he could have been on a daily aspirin if the doc deemed it to be helpful. Ans his age had nothing to do with it. I've heard about this happening to people as young as 19.

It's such a tragedy that he was shot in the first place. Should have never happened to begin with. The second tragedy is dying from a preventable blood clot. The chances would have dropped by 95% if they had performed a clotting time test when he was admitted to the hospital. Then he could have been on a daily aspirin if the doc deemed it to be helpful. Ans his age had nothing to do with it. I've heard about this happening to people as young as 19.

Ummm, daily aspirin doesn't work that fast, and clotting times are skewed after a penetrating injury. You also do not anticoagulate a patient immediately after a penetrating injury. Not every clot is preventable.

Ummm, daily aspirin doesn't work that fast, and clotting times are skewed after a penetrating injury. You also do not anticoagulate a patient immediately after a penetrating injury. Not every clot is preventable.
I realize it isn't recommended after a serious injury, and I do understand not every clot is preventable. But, say 48 hrs later, it might be a good idea to do a clotting time test. It's terrible that clots cannot be detected when they are very small, and those are usually the troublemakers! Just seems like we hear all too often of death R/T a blood clot. Thanks for reminding me I'm a nurse, and I wasn't thinking like one! Death from things we cannot detect is so frustrating! And I think about leaving a wife and two young boys. I lost my first husband in a motorcycle accident, and our boys were 2yrs, 8mo, and 10mo.

I realize it isn't recommended after a serious injury, and I do understand not every clot is preventable. But, say 48 hrs later, it might be a good idea to do a clotting time test. It's terrible that clots cannot be detected when they are very small, and those are usually the troublemakers! Just seems like we hear all too often of death R/T a blood clot. Thanks for reminding me I'm a nurse, and I wasn't thinking like one! Death from things we cannot detect is so frustrating! And I think about leaving a wife and two young boys. I lost my first husband in a motorcycle accident, and our boys were 2yrs, 8mo, and 10mo.
I'm sorry for the loss of your first husband, glf. You can certainly identify with the heartache Officer Steil's family is experiencing.

This is so sad. The relief the family must of had for the Captain to of survived the shooting. Ready to welcome him home and then to have this happen. My prayers to the family, his police family and his community.

FBI: Man made threats online to bomb funeral for slain Detroit police officer

By John Steckroth - Digital news editor

Posted: 11:38 AM, September 28, 2016
Updated: 11:47 AM, September 28, 2016

DETROIT - As the Detroit Police Department was laying a fallen officer to rest, threats were being made on social media.

The funeral for Capt. Kenneth Steil was held on Friday and a vast number of the city’s officers were in attendance. The sad event was livestreamed across multiple platforms.

A threat was made in the comment section of one livestream prompting the FBI to investigate.

Deshawn Maurice Lanton is accused of making threats to injure using interstate communications, according to a federal criminal complaint filed Wednesday....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...online-to-bomb-funeral-for-dpd-fallen-officer

Man accused of murdering Detroit cop to get more psych tests - January 9th

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/01/09/marquise-cromer-competency/96354946/

A man accused of killing Detroit police Capt. Kenneth Steil will undergo more psychological evaluations after two examinations came to different conclusions on his competency to stand trial.

A doctor with the state's forensic center found 21-year-old Marquise Cromer incompetent to stand trial last year, and prosecutors sought an independent evaluation.

That psychiatrist found Cromer to be competent, Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Molly Kettler said during a hearing in the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice today.

Cromer's attorney, Sanford Schulman, requested an independent evaluation during the hearing before 36th District Judge Deborah Lewis Langston. He also will be re-evaluated by the initial doctor from the forensic center, Kettler said.

He is scheduled to return to court on Feb. 16 where the results of the latest reports are expected to be discussed.

Detroit man accused of threatening cops pleads guilty - January 11th

A Detroit man accused of threatening to kill police officers who were attending a colleague’s funeral accepted a plea deal Wednesday that could send him to jail for 15-21 months.

Deshawn Maurice Lanton, 21, plead guilty in U.S District Court in Detroit on Wednesday to using the internet to transmit a threat against law enforcement.

Lanton, an ex-convict, admitted that he made a threatening post on a Facebook Live video from WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) as the station covered the funeral of Sgt. Kenneth Steil on Sept. 23. The Detroit police sergeant had died from his injuries after he was shot in the line of duty.

Lanton is scheduled to be sentenced May 10.

Man charged with killing DPD Sgt. Ken Steil smiles, laughs in court

So many said he was mentally ill and questioned whether he competent to stand trial, but the case against Marquise Cromer is moving forward.

Cromer was evaluated for competency. Ultimately he was deemed competent, but his behavior in court was strange. He smiled, made faces, and laughed during the hearing.

Despite his behavior, the judge ruled he will stand trial.

“Defendant charged with homicide of a peace or correction officer - murder in first degree.”

'That's my daddy,' slain police officer's son says after seeing memorial plaque

Two sons of slain Detroit Police Officer Kenneth "The Shark" Steil pulled away the cover of a plaque etched with a picture of their father inside Detroit Police Headquarters Thursday.

"That's my daddy," said Steil's youngest son, Alexander. Alexander's big brother, William, appeared to bend in to look more closely at the image of his dad as Detroit Police Chief James Craig touched the boys' shoulders and told them their father was an "American Hero."

The plaques commemorating two Detroit police killed in the line of duty in 2016, Steil and Police Officer Myron Jarrett, were hung on the memorial wall at Detroit police headquarters.

Man sentenced to 15 months for threatening to blow up Steil funeral

http://www.macombdaily.com/article/MD/20170609/NEWS/170609514

A 21-year-old Detroit man was ordered to serve 15 months in prison for threatening to blow up hundreds of police officers at a funeral service in St. Clair Shores for a fallen Detroit police officer.

Deshawn M. Lanton received the sentence Friday from Judge Sean Cox of U.S. District Court in Detroit after Lanton pleaded guilty in January to “false information and hoaxes,” punishable by up to five years in prison.

Steil, 46, of St. Clair Shores, died Sept. 17, five days after being shot with a shotgun in the upper torso by a criminal suspect during a search for the suspect near Seven Mile Road and Hayes roads in Detroit. Marquise Cromer, 21, is charged with Steil’s murder. He faces an Aug. 28 trial in Wayne County Circuit Court in Detroit.

Suspected cop killer goes on trial

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/01/23/police-officer-slaying-trial-opens/109749232/

The father of a 22-year-old Detroit man accused of fatally shooting a Detroit police sergeant in September 2016 testified Tuesday that his son shot him in the foot beforehand.

Sterling Cromer, 62, said he ran out of his east-side home after he saw Marquise Cromer with a sawed-off shotgun at his side.

The elder Cromer gave the account during the first day of testimony in his son’s murder trial in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Shooter pleads no contest but mentally ill in Detroit officer's death

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/shooter-pleads-no-contest-but-mentally-ill-in-detroit-officers-death

The murder trial for Marquise Cromer in connection with the death of Sgt. Ken Steil began Wednesday. When court resumed Thursday, it was announced Cromer entered no contest pleas - guilty but mentally ill - to second degree murder with a sentence agreement of 38 to 75 years. He pleaded the same for assault with intent to murder, which will be 5 to 10 years, carjacking, which will be 20 to 30 years, and three counts of felony firearm at 2 years each.

The assault with intent to do great bodily harm came from an incident on Sept. 11, 2016 at his father's house on Dickerson on Detroit's east side. Police say Cromer fired a sawed off shotgun, stricking his father in the foot.

Cromer's sentencing is scheduled for February 1.

Marquise Cromer sentenced in fatal shooting of Detroit police Sgt. Kenneth Steil

A man who pleaded no contest to the murder of a Detroit police sergeant was sentenced Thursday to 40 to 75 years in prison.

Cromer was referred for competency and criminal responsibility evaluations and was found competent. His no contest plea includes the phrase "guilty but mentally ill."

JoAnn Steil addressed the court telling the judge what life is like without her husband, ultimately forgiving Cromer for his crimes.

“I am a woman of God who will not be shook from her faith and that is why I forgive you Marquise,” Joann Steil said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/02/wife_of_slain_officer_says_the.html

The wife of a Detroit Police Officer Ken Steil, who lost his life in the line of duty in 2016, says she sees pain residing behind her sons' eyes.

On "almost every single night" since Steil died of a gunshot wound he suffered while chasing a mentally ill fugitive on Sept. 12, 2016, his 4-year-old son, Alexander, un-tucks himself from bed, walks to the top of the stairs and calls down to his mother, JoAnne Steil.

"Mommy, I miss daddy," he says each time, according to his mother, who spoke at the sentencing of her husband's killer Thursday, Feb. 15.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back