1279 users online (242 members and 1037 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Florida girl has abortion blocked

A pregnant 13-year-old girl in Florida has been told she cannot have an abortion because she lacks the maturity to make such a decision.

A state court granted an injunction which prevents the girl from terminating her pregnancy.

She is three months pregnant and had planned to have an abortion on Tuesday of this week.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it will launch an urgent appeal against the ruling.

'Too young to choose'

Florida's department of children and families intervened and took the matter to court, arguing the teenager, who is under the care of the state, is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision. Judge Ronald Alvarez in Palm Beach accepted that argument and has granted a temporary injunction and psychological evaluation, which effectively blocks her from terminating the pregnancy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4500245.stm

My gawd. So they are going to force a 13-year-old -- a mere child! -- to have a baby that she doesn't want because she is too young to make such a decision. What about her being too young to have a baby?!

GEEESH! This poor kid is being used and abused as the next political vehicle for everyone elses agenda! SICKENING!

I am in no way condoning abortions, but for god's sake...if the girl was old enough to get pregnant she's old enough to make a decision about whether she wants to keep the child.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

This happened a while ago, she was eventually allowed to have the abortion. There was more to the story. The girl had run away from a foster home and was picked up by an older guy. I think he was eventually arrested.

On a personal note, I have dealt with this judge in a few custody cases. He is fair and truly does do what is in the best interest of child. He agreed that she was mature enought to make the decision.

Here is an article from Newsweek:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7692172/site/newsweek/
    Last edited by Cheetah; 11-07-2005 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add link

What would be especially sad and cruel is if the pregnancy was a result of sexual abuse. The story didn't who she was pregnant by.

I'm sick to my stomach after reading this thread. I can't believe they're forcing her to do this. Too bad she can't get to another state.

She could always put the baby up for adoption. I'm dont like the idea of abortion, my Mom had me 5 months before she turned 15 and I always think how easy it would have been for her to make the decision to have an abortion instead of having me. I know every woman has a right to choose but I for one think its very sad to take the life of an unborn child and not give them a chance at life, even if the Mother chooses not to keep the child herself at least someone who wants a child could have a chance to adopt it and the child would not have to die, its very cruel the way they do abortions and I'm not knocking anyone who has had one or who is pro choice, this is just my opinion on a very controversial topic
    Caylee Marie Anthony 2005-2008
    Ethan Stacy 2005-2010
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdaisy
    She could always put the baby up for adoption. I'm dont like the idea of abortion, my Mom had me 5 months before she turned 15 and I always think how easy it would have been for her to make the decision to have an abortion instead of having me. I know every woman has a right to choose but I for one think its very sad to take the life of an unborn child and not give them a chance at life, even if the Mother chooses not to keep the child herself at least someone who wants a child could have a chance to adopt it and the child would not have to die, its very cruel the way they do abortions and I'm not knocking anyone who has had one or who is pro choice, this is just my opinion on a very controversial topic
    You're not alone DD. I too think adoption is always the better alternative, unless it will kill the mother. In that case her life takes priority IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdaisy

I'd rather see adoption as well. However, they're taking away this girl's right to choose and that's against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    This happened a while ago, she was eventually allowed to have the abortion. There was more to the story. The girl had run away from a foster home and was picked up by an older guy. I think he was eventually arrested.

On a personal note, I have dealt with this judge in a few custody cases. He is fair and truly does do what is in the best interest of child. He agreed that she was mature enought to make the decision.

Here is an article from Newsweek:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7692172/site/newsweek/
    Thanks for the article.

so... let me get this straight,, she lacks the maturity to make such a decision,, but she somehow has the maturity to go through childbirth and either be FORCED to keep her child, or FORCED to give it up for adoption??

too bad we've some this far, but have somehow slipped back into the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    so... let me get this straight,, she lacks the maturity to make such a decision,, but she somehow has the maturity to go through childbirth and either be FORCED to keep her child, or FORCED to give it up for adoption??

too bad we've some this far, but have somehow slipped back into the dark ages.

I missed the article from Cheetah that said that Idiot Judge #1 was overruled by Sane Judge #2 and she was allowed to go through with the abortion. Now, I'd like to see an article that said she gets to have some counselling and some parenting classes for whomever is raising her.

wow, what a relief!!! glad to hear, kudos to judge #2. no woman (or girl) should be FORCED into having a baby if she made a mistake (or was not mature enough to know how to prevent pregnancy, or was raped, etc. etc. etc....) and no child (or potential child) should be made to be born into a situation where they aren't wanted. and certainly not while there's millions and millions of unwanted kids already living destitute all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I'd rather see adoption as well. However, they're taking away this girl's right to choose and that's against the law.
    Oh I agree Jeana. That's what the right to choose is all about. My choice would just be different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast