Operation Nativity

Dark Knight

Reaction score
You might see Nativity scenes all over the place this Christmas. A pastor has asked all Christians to display a Nativity scene at their homes and businesses this year. So far the response (based on feedback) has been very high.

Go to http://www.thetruthmatters.com/ and click on "Operation Nativity" for details.

I think that's pretty cool, and may have to get an outdoor Nativity myself this year. We have a small indoor one, already.

ETA: Interesting article by the AP on the battles already starting over Christmas celebrations in schools and displays on public grounds:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051104/ap_on_re_us/christmas_wars

I, for one, don't like so many of the stores now calling what are clearly Christmas items "Holiday" items to be "non-offensive" to non-Christians. Never mind the Christians' feelings, eh? lol. And just what other "holiday" would you be displaying a tree, etc, for? Kwanzaa? lol! Actually, from a marketing point of view, it may be a bad thing for them as I don't feel as much in the gift buying spirit when I see ads with such generic terminology. Only when I think of Christmas specifically do I feel like buying gifts for people. Christmas buying has been down in recent years, even during boom times, which is about the same time as their removal of the word Christmas from their sales, hmmmm. Can you say, Backfire? :p

I'm a Christian, but I disagree with such an extreme approach. How would you like it if the majority in the country were Jewish, for instance, or Scientologist. Every store you went into during the "national holiday" or each of their religious holidays has displays of things you don't believe in your self? Wouldn't you wish there perhaps was not so much of it, or it was at church or home?

Displaying religious symbols such as a Nativity in businesses is ridiculous. Businesses need business for ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE, ALL RELIGIONS. People do not need to be offended or have a certain religion pushed at every business.

But home, church, or even public courtyard would be OK, just like most of the judges are saying - if there is a variety of religious symbols - Christmas tree, Santa, holiday things. Christmas is just a holiday to some, a religious holiday to many.

We have separation of church and state, and when we are "told" we must display the same thing in every window that is really scary to me; moving toward "theocracy" or totalitarianism.

We should appreciate our diversity and repect each other's celebrations - at the same time I think they have gone too far if they remove holiday symbols from the schools. We're taking all the fun away from children; they can learn about each others' religions.

operation nativity? Ooh, that sounds like an Army thing. We're going off the brink in this country....

I have no objection to the religious iconography but, personally, I think the big public nativities are unattractive and cheapen the significance of this important date in Christianity. It only cheapens it more to use the Nativity in some kind of pissing war. The whole thing is so silly.

Marthatex said:
I'm a Christian, but I disagree with such an extreme approach. How would you like it if the majority in the country were Jewish, for instance, or Scientologist. Every store you went into during the "national holiday" or each of their religious holidays has displays of things you don't believe in your self? Wouldn't you wish there perhaps was not so much of it, or it was at church or home?

Displaying religious symbols such as a Nativity in businesses is ridiculous. Businesses need business for ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE, ALL RELIGIONS. People do not need to be offended or have a certain religion pushed at every business.

But home, church, or even public courtyard would be OK, just like most of the judges are saying - if there is a variety of religious symbols - Christmas tree, Santa, holiday things. Christmas is just a holiday to some, a religious holiday to many.

We have separation of church and state, and when we are "told" we must display the same thing in every window that is really scary to me; moving toward "theocracy" or totalitarianism.

We should appreciate our diversity and repect each other's celebrations - at the same time I think they have gone too far if they remove holiday symbols from the schools. We're taking all the fun away from children; they can learn about each others' religions.

operation nativity? Ooh, that sounds like an Army thing. We're going off the brink in this country....
If they're selling Christmas items, they should call them Christmas items. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they had a Hannukah sale, etc. Or sections of the store devoted to those holiday items. But call a spade a spade.

We broke Joseph about 8 years ago and now one of the wise men stands in for him
giggle2.gif

Marthatex said:

Actually...I think it would be kind of cool if everyone did something to show their faith...no matter which faith it was. I think all should have freedom of expression...even Christians. :angel: I will certainly will get mine ready. Of course, I have it ready EVERY year. I love Christmas.:HappyBday Baby Jesus:HappyBday

We had family day at school in my classroom several times a year. We talked about how each family celebrated the holidays. It was like a HUGE show and tell for the day. I learned a lot about the children's belief system and the children were so excited to talk about what was special in their family. It could include pictures, toys, drawings of what their family was doing...even a new birth in the family. Sometimes they brought food to show what their family liked to eat at holidays. It was a truly a special time for the whole class! No one felt left out or different. The whole point being....every family is unique and special.:woohoo:

That seems like a good way to do it. I don't know why people can't relax a little bit about political or religious correctness. It's one thing to be vicious and hurt on purpose, it's another to just ask questions, learn, be tolerant and inclusive.

I think children are learning some of the worst and confusing behaviors from adults right now. It's like "do I say, but not as I do...."

Marthatex said:
That seems like a good way to do it. I don't know why people can't relax a little bit about political or religious correctness. It's one thing to be vicious and hurt on purpose, it's another to just ask questions, learn, be tolerant and inclusive.

I think children are learning some of the worst and confusing behaviors from adults right now. It's like "do I say, but not as I do...."

Kids learn how to treat other people and similarily how to accept differences in people, by watching and listening to their parents. If parents are accepting to differences in culture, race, sexual orientation, etc., their children will be too. All those little snide comments parents make their children pick up on and it affects them.

I've managed to not have to buy hardly any gifts this year, and I'm thrilled. In our immediate family, there are no children and in my opinion , it seems downright silly to stress out (and spend hard-earned money) on $50 gifts for adults. Everyone I know is in the same boat as us = middle class people who can afford pretty much anything I'd buy them anyway. I'm going to school and not working, my husband has dr. bills coming in daily with a lot more coming in soon, and like I said, it's more stressful than fun so why bother? Christmas, if you're a Christian is about celebrating Jesus' birth and spending quality time with family, not time worried about the perfect gift and worrying about making everyone else happy.

My Dh and I see our families often throughout the year, that I'm seriously considering going on nice vacations during Christmas, starting next year. We're already going to be in Las Vegas for this Thanksgiving, taking advantage of me being out of school for a few days. We live in the south, so it will be very, very different being in LV for such a big holiday. Wonder if I can manage to find any cornbread dressing at the Hard Rock Hotel, where we will be staying. LMAO, wouldn't that be a hoot if I asked a waiter for some? He'd be like :confused:

I promise I'm not trying to come across as Scrooge, but I'm all about k.i.s.s...keep it simple, sweetie. (Not gonna say "stupid") I'm taking back control of this excess holiday spending and stressing out.

Now, if/when we have a child, it won't be this way, I'll probably revert to going crazy. But until then, I'm going this route.

We've got the gift exchanges, and gift pooling going on in our family. You end up with a few names, and enough money to get those few a nice gift, and it still isn't too expensive. Everyone draws a name, and buys a gift only for that person. Within my immediate family, my sisters and I group together, and buy the gifts for each other and our parents and grandparents - we draw the names out, and balance it to take care of the fact that mom and dad get a more expensive gift than grandparents or nieces. I've generally got 2 or 3 names to buy for there, one from another gift exchange drawing, hubby and a friend or so, and I'm done! It works beautifully.

Operation Nativity sounds silly - like religion is a game, whoever can put up the most signs wins!

shopper said:
I've managed to not have to buy hardly any gifts this year, and I'm thrilled. In our immediate family, there are no children and in my opinion , it seems downright silly to stress out (and spend hard-earned money) on $50 gifts for adults. Everyone I know is in the same boat as us = middle class people who can afford pretty much anything I'd buy them anyway. I'm going to school and not working, my husband has dr. bills coming in daily with a lot more coming in soon, and like I said, it's more stressful than fun so why bother? Christmas, if you're a Christian is about celebrating Jesus' birth and spending quality time with family, not time worried about the perfect gift and worrying about making everyone else happy.

My Dh and I see our families often throughout the year, that I'm seriously considering going on nice vacations during Christmas, starting next year. We're already going to be in Las Vegas for this Thanksgiving, taking advantage of me being out of school for a few days. We live in the south, so it will be very, very different being in LV for such a big holiday. Wonder if I can manage to find any cornbread dressing at the Hard Rock Hotel, where we will be staying. LMAO, wouldn't that be a hoot if I asked a waiter for some? He'd be like :confused:

I promise I'm not trying to come across as Scrooge, but I'm all about k.i.s.s...keep it simple, sweetie. (Not gonna say "stupid") I'm taking back control of this excess holiday spending and stressing out.

Now, if/when we have a child, it won't be this way, I'll probably revert to going crazy. But until then, I'm going this route.
EXCELLENT post Shopper!! The gift giving thing is all about the kids if you ask me - and NOT about showering them with tons of "stuff", either - just so they have a couple of things from Santa on Christmas morning. If it were up to me, I'd buy something for my husband and he for me, and that's it (we're childless). My best friend and I decided YEARS ago not to do the gift thing on Christmas or birthday (we decided back when we were both broke, but the "anti-tradition" still stands).

Oh - I do reserve the right to get presents for the pets. Obviously, that is not for their benefit. :)

Hbgchick said:
EXCELLENT post Shopper!! The gift giving thing is all about the kids if you ask me - and NOT about showering them with tons of "stuff", either - just so they have a couple of things from Santa on Christmas morning. If it were up to me, I'd buy something for my husband and he for me, and that's it (we're childless). My best friend and I decided YEARS ago not to do the gift thing on Christmas or birthday (we decided back when we were both broke, but the "anti-tradition" still stands).

Oh - I do reserve the right to get presents for the pets. Obviously, that is not for their benefit. :)

Exactly. Years ago, when I was about 18-19, it would really pizz me off to hear that Christmas was really just for kids. I liked getting presents too!!!! But now, if I get a gift *to me* it means I have to go out and buy something for that person and I frankly just don't have the energy for putting a lot of thought into gift-giving anymore. I know that makes me sound like a biatch but I'm just trying to simplify my life right now.

I love stuff that's on this site, like coffee cups, notepads, napkins, magnets, etc:
http://www.maryphillipsdesigns.com/home.html

I don't mind buying anything on that website for close friends or my SIL because usually we like the same kind of stuff. But trying to find something for my 85 year old grandmother or my dad is tiresome. They have everything in life they need and most everything they want. If they don't have it by now, chances are they don't want/need it. My mom is a little better, she likes most stuff I like, so if I find something I really want, I can usually buy it for her too. But I can't very well buy something for just her and not my dad. Even though he would tell me that it doesn't hurt his feelings, it would still make me feel bad.

So my mom and I decided we would try it this year without gifts, just eat large (No problem there, lol) and enjoy visiting with each other. Maybe play some games or something. If we don't like the no-gifts route and are bored, we can go back to it next year.

I spend a LOT of money on Christmas, but I don't usually go into debt. I shart shopping on December 26th and continue all year. Luckily, my daughter's birthday is in February, so if I end up with too much stuff, I can always save it until then. I also buy a lot of gifts for office staff, neighbors, parents of my kids' friends, teachers, etc. I have an account at The Swiss Colony and can spend thousands just on that crap. I LOVE to gift gifts to everyone I know and usually consider Christmas the perfect time to do so.

Jeana (DP) said:
I spend a LOT of money on Christmas, but I don't usually go into debt. I shart shopping on December 26th and continue all year. Luckily, my daughter's birthday is in February, so if I end up with too much stuff, I can always save it until then. I also buy a lot of gifts for office staff, neighbors, parents of my kids' friends, teachers, etc. I have an account at The Swiss Colony and can spend thousands just on that crap. I LOVE to gift gifts to everyone I know and usually consider Christmas the perfect time to do so.

I know I sound terrible, like a Scrooge b*tch and I don't mean to. I'm in school right now, so we've had to cut back, money-wise, and I'm just stressed out with school - waaaay too many tests for someone who is not studious. It's really starting to affect my outlook on life and I'm tempted to just ditch it but I only have until summer ('06) until I'm finished. I've put in too much to quit so I'm conflicted. On the way home today, I actually cried about it.

shopper said:
I know I sound terrible, like a Scrooge b*tch and I don't mean to. I'm in school right now, so we've had to cut back, money-wise, and I'm just stressed out with school - waaaay too many tests for someone who is not studious. It's really starting to affect my outlook on life and I'm tempted to just ditch it but I only have until summer ('06) until I'm finished. I've put in too much to quit so I'm conflicted. On the way home today, I actually cried about it.

GO TO SCHOOL!!!! Take care of business FIRST - then have fun. All of your friends and family know that you're going to school and you're broke. We've all been there. Buy some of those tin foil pans and bake them some bread and spend time with them. Don't stress out!!!! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Don't quit school - you'd regret that - but see what else in your life can be simplified. In the end you need to eat, sleep, do homework, go to class, and work. Trim our as much as you can of the excess when you get stressed.

Jeana (DP) said:
I I LOVE to gift gifts to everyone I know and usually consider Christmas the perfect time to do so.
I am sending you my address :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners