UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
Fears growing for missing RAF serviceman who vanished after night out

Concerns were growing today for the safety of a young military policeman who vanished after a night out and may have tried to walk eight miles back to his base.
Camera operators saw him getting up and walking off - but he failed to return to Honington, the headquarters of the RAF Force Protection who guard UK military installations around the world.

Despite an appeal to motorists, villagers along the serviceman’s route and a search by the Suffolk police helicopter there has been no trace of him.

Corrie is described as white, 5ft 10ins tall, medium build, with short light brown hair. He was wearing a light-pink polo shirt and white jeans when last seen.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/71...-vanished-night-out-Corrie-McKeague-honington

Close to a 3 hour walk it says. That lake there is worrying, if he tried to take a short cut or got lost :/

Unless he was massively ratted I'd imagine a fit young serviceman would have covered that distance in rather less than 3 hours. In fact I'd have expected him to run or at least jog it so he could well have done it within an hour.

I'm less concerned about the lake, which does not lie directly alongside the road he most likely walked/ran, than the areas of woodland that line parts of the most likely route. All of the indicated routes on your map are unlit with some sharp bends, so my concern is that he could have been struck by a car in one of those lanes and his body thrown into undergrowth or the bordering woodland. The OS map of the area shows very few public footpaths, and none that would shorten his route, so it's very unlikely that he tried to cut across the fields.

He was seen getting up from a doorway at 3.23am and presumably starting to walk/run back to base. Assuming he was walking along one of those routes between then and 6.30am he could easily have been struck by an early commuter or someone driving home after a night shift.

Another possibility, and this really does worry me, is that he was seized by Islamaloons. You may recall that there was an attempt a month or so ago by a couple of presumed Islamic militants to kidnap an RAF serviceman near a base in Norfolk. If they've taken to hanging around outside military bases like that, then a young man seen in the vicinity of an RAF base early in the morning is a possible target.

Suffolk Police have released CCTV footage of Corrie in BSE in the early hours of the morning he went missing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-37501796

From what I can see he does not appear to be drunk; at least in the first half of the clip he walks steadily and confidently across the line of view of the camera.

He's still missing.

I've watched it a couple of times and he appears to be weaving a little after he passes the blurred out people.

Do police know who the people are? They don't seem to have asked them to come forward.

I've watched it a couple of times and he appears to be weaving a little after he passes the blurred out people.

Yes, which is why I said he looked to be walking normally in the first part of the clip. He seems to be slightly hunched over something, which I assume is his phone. Then, when he passes by the group he seems to drop something because he stoops down to pick it up and put it in his back pocket. Unfortunately the patch of blurring means you can't clearly see what happens there. But I agree, his demeanour does change when/after he encounters that group.

Do police know who the people are? They don't seem to have asked them to come forward.

True - I've not seen any appeals for them to come forward.

Yes, which is why I said he looked to be walking normally in the first part of the clip. He seems to be slightly hunched over something, which I assume is his phone.

Whatever he's holding is too big to be a phone. It looks like a bag of chips, which he might have been able to get from a takeaway of some sort in the early hours. I wonder if what looks like him weaving is simply hesitation between carrying on walking and eating as he goes, or ducking into a doorway to eat before continuing his walk home.

I think he walks like he is drunk or at least tipsy, but not 'wasted' drunk, and I agree he is eating something, looks like chips or a kebab. I think it looks like he is eating chips with a fork and drops the fork

I live in rural Suffolk, not too far from Bury St Edmunds. I hope Corrie is found soon. From the CCTV it definitely appears that he's eating chips or a kebab or something from a takeaway tray, as others have said - he doesn't seem exceedingly drunk, just a little bit tipsy perhaps.

Just seen this on facebook, have quite a few mutual friends. Unfortunately he def does look tipsy in that footage, really don't like it when young ones go missing after a night out, it never seems to be good news. I hope I'm wrong.

He certainly looks drunk in the footage. Not "wasted" but I've seen that sort of walk a thousand times and done it plenty myself. He'd definitely be liable to stumble into the road/trip on something/miss a step and fall down. I also agree that he's eating chips or something. I wonder if they know where he got it from and what he was like then.

I have to say, that's the best quality CCTV footage I've seen in ages.

This has just been shared by a facebook friend of mine, it's not that near to me, not sure if she knows him but I thought I'd check here for more details before I share forward.

Going to catch up now

He certainly looks drunk in the footage. Not "wasted" but I've seen that sort of walk a thousand times and done it plenty myself. He'd definitely be liable to stumble into the road/trip on something/miss a step and fall down. I also agree that he's eating chips or something. I wonder if they know where he got it from and what he was like then.

I have to say, that's the best quality CCTV footage I've seen in ages.

ITA agree about the quality, amazing, it's almost looks like a TV programme.

I'd say he drops a chip/some of his food and then appears much more unsteady, definitely looks a bit drunk to me.

I don't think we'll see a good outcome to this, young man, night out and early hours seldom end well but let's hope this one is different

It looked like a chinese takeout box and chopsticks to me (he is holding them so far down and could be why he dropped one). There are a few places in the area he disappeared - but some of you are much more familiar with what is probably open or popular there.

There doesn't seem to be much coverage of this case. Is it because it's a young man instead of a young woman? When young women go missing after a night out there seems to be much more media interest. Or is it because the police are already fairly sure what happened?

There doesn't seem to be much coverage of this case. Is it because it's a young man instead of a young woman? When young women go missing after a night out there seems to be much more media interest.

I'm guessing the police and military authorities are trying to control media coverage in the way they would not with a missing civilian. The media have been known to co-operate and keep things under their hats when asked to do so for security reasons.

Or is it because the police are already fairly sure what happened?

That's certainly possible. Given that it's now getting on for a week since he disappeared, and the area between BSE and the camp has been seached, it seems unlikely that he has suffered some sort of accident on his way home. That leaves the possibility that he's gone AWOL, deliberately or due to some sort of breakdown, or the worrying possibility that he's been kidnapped. Is there anything else it could be?

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/thank_yo...or_support_as_search_enters_day_six_1_4717411

The search is very much active and police are appealing for anyone who saw him after 3.20am. Those in the cctv have already been eliminated as not connected to his disappearance.

What's bothering me is that despite not being seen from the early hours of Saturday morning, no one reported him missing until he didn't turn up for work on Monday. He lived at an RAF base and, not being married, I would assume lived in barracks. It might be normal among young men there to keep quiet if someone's missing, perhaps thinking he'd met someone, but equally, with the servicemen kidnapping scare that was all over the press recently, one would think someone would squeak up before then just in case. Though perhaps they did and it was kept in-house initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital