1016 users online (176 members and 840 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warning to Parents - Snowman T-Shirts

NEW YORK (AP) -- One of the hottest-selling T-shirts around the country shows a simply drawn snowman with a menacing expression.

It's not Frosty's evil twin. The image popularized by drug-dealer-turned-rapper Young Jeezy symbolizes those who sell a white substance known on the street as snow: cocaine.

Anti-drug campaigners and education officials are alarmed, saying the T-shirt and others like it are part of sophisticated marketing campaigns using coded symbols for drug culture that parents and teachers are not likely to understand. Some schools are banning kids from wearing the snowman images.

"The snowman is made of white, grainy stuff like sugar," said 12-year-old seventh-grader Mailik Mason, standing next to his mother in a Manhattan store selling the snowman shirts. "It has to do with a certain drug, crack or coke."

Young Jeezy's hit debut album, "Let's Get It: **** Motivation 101," peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard album charts. On one of his songs he raps, "Get it? Jeezy the Snowman / I'm iced out, plus I got that snow, man."

picture and article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

What is the world coming to when a Snowman is not PC?

And kids wonder why schools are starting to make uniforms mandatory
    Caylee Marie Anthony 2005-2008
    Ethan Stacy 2005-2010
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Makes me literally ill when creeps use children's innocence and happy symbols to fill their own evil, narcississtic compulsions.

Sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    Makes me literally ill when creeps use children's innocence and happy symbols to fill their own evil, narcississtic compulsions.

Sick.
    I could go on and on about this but won't. Taking children's childhoods away is one of the first crimes and the rest of the crimes creep there way in. I just have one question. Why would someone do this?

Life's journeys are hard enough, let kids be kids for the short time it is available. If yours sucked isn't it better to see someone else have a modicum of happiness and expectation without being exploited? Sorry, 2 questions but you get my drift.

Thanx for posting the article! I would have never know what the snowman meant, and probably would have bought one for myself
    !!!

I would have thought it was just a crabby snowman! And I like crabby things!

I get mixed feelings about things like this. One side of me is saying that I'd never want my kids to be wearing that symbol - the other side is saying that if they like it because it's a cute cranky snowman, then telling them otherwise is where I am robbing them of their innocence and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    I get mixed feelings about things like this. One side of me is saying that I'd never want my kids to be wearing that symbol - the other side is saying that if they like it because it's a cute cranky snowman, then telling them otherwise is where I am robbing them of their innocence and fun.
    I agree to a point. I would stop myself because I know the money would be going directly into the pockets of aholes who don't care who they hurt as long as the green was rolling in.

Yeah - that's a good point.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Jeana,
    I'm glad you posted that. I wonder how many parents will buy the tshirt for their kids not knowing what it really means.

Why do stores continue to sell if they know what is behind it?

Because they make a profit. They don't decide what is OK or not - the parents do.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    Jeana,
    I'm glad you posted that. I wonder how many parents will buy the tshirt for their kids not knowing what it really means.
    ------------

They have been banned in Cleveland.There was an article in our paper,they are baggy white T shirts and length is long.

Schmerty_Jones is offline ________________ Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nore
    ------------

They have been banned in Cleveland.There was an article in our paper,they are baggy white T shirts and length is long.
    OK , NOW we know! This has got to go.....oooo! Keep the world a clean place to LIVE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bugs
    Why do stores continue to sell if they know what is behind it?
    I don't want to get off topic but there is another item that a lot of convenience stores carry right up on their counter that is not exactly what it appears to be. Have you ever seen those miniature roses encased in the glass tube? Those are crack pipes.

I learned this from a girl that I took to the store one day and while it wasn't a convenience store and those roses were not available it was a Dollar General store and I noticed that they had a whole bunch of those pressure guages that you check your tires with up at the front counter and that several young people were buying them. I made a comment to her about that and that's when she explained that they were used as crack pipes as well as the roses in the glass tubes that I see in so many convenience stores.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast