Warning to Parents - Snowman T-Shirts

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
NEW YORK (AP) -- One of the hottest-selling T-shirts around the country shows a simply drawn snowman with a menacing expression.

It's not Frosty's evil twin. The image popularized by drug-dealer-turned-rapper Young Jeezy symbolizes those who sell a white substance known on the street as snow: cocaine.

Anti-drug campaigners and education officials are alarmed, saying the T-shirt and others like it are part of sophisticated marketing campaigns using coded symbols for drug culture that parents and teachers are not likely to understand. Some schools are banning kids from wearing the snowman images.

"The snowman is made of white, grainy stuff like sugar," said 12-year-old seventh-grader Mailik Mason, standing next to his mother in a Manhattan store selling the snowman shirts. "It has to do with a certain drug, crack or coke."

Young Jeezy's hit debut album, "Let's Get It: Motivation 101," peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard album charts. On one of his songs he raps, "Get it? Jeezy the Snowman / I'm iced out, plus I got that snow, man."

picture and article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/07/snowman.tshirt.ap/index.html

What is the world coming to when a Snowman is not PC? :rolleyes:

And kids wonder why schools are starting to make uniforms mandatory :doh:

Makes me literally ill when creeps use children's innocence and happy symbols to fill their own evil, narcississtic compulsions.

Sick.

Marthatex said:
Makes me literally ill when creeps use children's innocence and happy symbols to fill their own evil, narcississtic compulsions.

Sick.

I could go on and on about this but won't. Taking children's childhoods away is one of the first crimes and the rest of the crimes creep there way in. I just have one question. Why would someone do this?

Life's journeys are hard enough, let kids be kids for the short time it is available. If yours sucked isn't it better to see someone else have a modicum of happiness and expectation without being exploited? Sorry, 2 questions but you get my drift.

Thanx for posting the article! I would have never know what the snowman meant, and probably would have bought one for myself :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
!!!

I would have thought it was just a crabby snowman! And I like crabby things!

I get mixed feelings about things like this. One side of me is saying that I'd never want my kids to be wearing that symbol - the other side is saying that if they like it because it's a cute cranky snowman, then telling them otherwise is where I am robbing them of their innocence and fun.

Details said:
I get mixed feelings about things like this. One side of me is saying that I'd never want my kids to be wearing that symbol - the other side is saying that if they like it because it's a cute cranky snowman, then telling them otherwise is where I am robbing them of their innocence and fun.

I agree to a point. I would stop myself because I know the money would be going directly into the pockets of aholes who don't care who they hurt as long as the green was rolling in.

Jeana,
I'm glad you posted that. I wonder how many parents will buy the tshirt for their kids not knowing what it really means.

Because they make a profit. They don't decide what is OK or not - the parents do.

SewingDeb said:
Jeana,
I'm glad you posted that. I wonder how many parents will buy the tshirt for their kids not knowing what it really means.
------------

They have been banned in Cleveland.There was an article in our paper,they are baggy white T shirts and length is long.

Nore said:
------------

They have been banned in Cleveland.There was an article in our paper,they are baggy white T shirts and length is long.
OK , NOW we know! This has got to go.....oooo! Keep the world a clean place to LIVE!!!!!!

bugs said:
Why do stores continue to sell if they know what is behind it?
I don't want to get off topic but there is another item that a lot of convenience stores carry right up on their counter that is not exactly what it appears to be. Have you ever seen those miniature roses encased in the glass tube? Those are crack pipes.

I learned this from a girl that I took to the store one day and while it wasn't a convenience store and those roses were not available it was a Dollar General store and I noticed that they had a whole bunch of those pressure guages that you check your tires with up at the front counter and that several young people were buying them. I made a comment to her about that and that's when she explained that they were used as crack pipes as well as the roses in the glass tubes that I see in so many convenience stores.

littlefeet said:
I don't want to get off topic but there is another item that a lot of convenience stores carry right up on their counter that is not exactly what it appears to be. Have you ever seen those miniature roses encased in the glass tube? Those are crack pipes.

I learned this from a girl that I took to the store one day and while it wasn't a convenience store and those roses were not available it was a Dollar General store and I noticed that they had a whole bunch of those pressure guages that you check your tires with up at the front counter and that several young people were buying them. I made a comment to her about that and that's when she explained that they were used as crack pipes as well as the roses in the glass tubes that I see in so many convenience stores.

Like when McDonald's stop giving out those little long handled plastic spoons to eat your apple pies with in the 70's because people where using them to snort their coke.

LOL I don't remember that. I do know that we cannot, not use things that are useful because of the fact that some would misuse it though.

Now I have to tell a story.....lol

Sometime back in the 80's my family and a friend's family were planning a joint Mother's Day celebration for our respective mothers. It was going to be a great party with lots of guests and plenty of food at a local park pavillion.

We planned our menu, who was to make and bring each item and then pooled our monies for some of the extras and I was nominated to be the official party grocery shopper for all of the extras. I had a big long list of things to buy and on that list were two cans of spray on whipped cream.

As I stolled through the store picking up the items I looke and looked for the stuff and couldn't locate it anywhere so I asked a clerk, who gave me a suspicious look and informed me that it was kept in the back area where customers could not go and that I would have to go to the management to see about getting some.

So I went to the customer service desk and spoke with the manager who asked me all kinds of questions about what I was planning on using it for and then telling me that they would have to have a copy of my driver's license in order for me to buy it. Now I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed and this whole time my mind was just working overtime wondering what on earth they thought I could do with two cans of Reddi Whip that would be so terrible and why they were looking at me like I just might be some sort of maniac, so finally I asked what the deal was.

They informed me that it could be used to breath in to get high.. Well this was brand new news to me.....but hey, things like this happen to me all of the time.

In fact the last time I flew commercially which was long before the events of 911, when I was asked if I had packed my own bags, I thought, my goodness, I surely don't look like I have enough money to have a maid or anything......lol Then later when they asked me if I had been "given anything by anyone" I got all excited thinking that they were giving out something like free door prizes.........lol

Too much time living in the backwoods, that's me.
:confused:

Littlefeet...LOL...I just heard about the Reddi Whip thing myself about a year ago. A friend of mine and I were discussing something, and it came up. She worked at a bakery in High school, and she said her boyfriend would visit her and get high of the Reddi Whip cans. I had never heard of that, and I was a teenager around the same time as her.

I remember liking and collecting the pretty feathers with the clip, not knowing what they really were for! :eek:

concernedperson said:
I could go on and on about this but won't. Taking children's childhoods away is one of the first crimes and the rest of the crimes creep there way in. I just have one question. Why would someone do this?

Life's journeys are hard enough, let kids be kids for the short time it is available. If yours sucked isn't it better to see someone else have a modicum of happiness and expectation without being exploited? Sorry, 2 questions but you get my drift.

Very well put. I worry about my daughter bringing a grandchild into this scary and creepy world sometime in the next few years.

lostfaith said:
I remember liking and collecting the pretty feathers with the clip, not knowing what they really were for! :eek:
GoodNESSS,,,,,,,,lol :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back