1210 users online (230 members and 980 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Linda Lovell, 25, Westport, June 1974

Linda Lee Lovell Missing since June 1974
    DOB: 23 November 1948
    Native of Missoula MT
    Santa Maria CA Police Dept Case # 2005-R12548
    NamUS MP # 9136

For her joint activities with Stephen Locke Packard, see http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...8#post12844748

Linda is a white female, 5 feet 4 inches tall, weight 110 pounds, brown hair and hazel eyes. She may wear either eyeglasses or contact lenses. She has a series of faint circular scars about 1.5 inches across at waist level on right side of her stomach and lower right back.Her last known sighting was as she left Missoula, probably hitchhiking.

In company with Stephen Locke Packard, Linda was hiking and hitchhiking the Pacific coastline. The pair were planning to work their way north to Spokane WA and it's World Fair. On or about 10 June 1974, Linda mailed a postcard home from Stinson Beach CA. One of Stephen's traveler's checks was cashed in Westport CA on 20 June 1974; it is unknown if she was accompanying him then. According to some sources, this date is the last contact with Linda.

Linda had planned to be back in Missoula for the July 4th holiday. By 15 July, there was enough concern at her being overdue that her mother reported her missing to the Missoula Police Dept. In the report, it said that last contact with Linda was 27 June 1974. Linda had $600 in traveler's checks; there is no mention they were traced.

Missing persons reports on Linda have also been filed with the Marin County CA Sheriff's Office, Spokane WA Sheriff, and the Santa Maria CA PD. When Linda's mother moved to Santa Maria, a Spokane deputy initiated a missing person report in Santa Maria.

Linda's mother has submitted a DNA sample to the Santa Maria PD. Linda's fingerprints and dental charts are not on record.

Major source:
    Missing Person Report, Case # 2012R02963 dated 4 April 2012, Santa Maria PD.

Contributory sources:
    Charley Project http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lovell_linda.html
    NamUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9136/90

Of interest:
    Whereabouts Still Unknown blog has pics: https://whereaboutsstillunknown.word...ephen-packard/

Contact person for this case:
    Detective Michael Sawyer, Santa Maria PD, 222 Cook St, Santa Maria CA 95354. Phone 805-928-3781 extension 291.

Also named as a contact for this case is Stephen's hometown police department:
    Detective Supervisor Meredith Lobur, cell phone 617-780-0825, land line 508-487-1212. Email: mlobur@provincetown-ma.gov. U.S. Mail: Providence MA PD, 26 Shankpainter Road, Provincetown MA 02657. Provincetown PD website: http://www.provincetown-ma.gov/Directory.aspx?did=27

Link to Stephen.

Stephen Locke Packard thread is at http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ight=Mendocino

Burblestein, I don't know if you've already seen this but I thought I'd point out that Linda's uncle has commented on Linda's record on the missingin.org site. He's looking for any up-to-date info on her case and offers to answer questions about her.

http://www.missingin.org/reg4904/linda_lee_lovell.htm

Requests for more info.

No, I didn't because I usually don't read comments. I just now submitted an email comment on the site, directed at her uncle. When approved, it should post. I have also already requested Linda's Missing Person Report from the Santa Maria Police. Next I will query other jurisdictions where she has been reported missing.

Another great catch by Coleraine!

I hope you hear from him. I know his post is from 2014 but perhaps he checks it from time to time. Sad news about Linda's mother, too, from the other comment by her cousin.

Santa Maria PD Missing Persons Report

Linda's Missing Persons Report for Santa Maria PD arrived today. Big disappointment. It is dated 19 September 2005. Officer taking report blew it off as 30-plus year old cold case. However--two useful points. One, Spokane LE advised Linda's mother to file the report with SMPD. Two, "Steve Packard" was mentioned, resulting (finally) in the 4 April 2012 report on him. Ironically, the report on Stephen Packard also gives us more info about Linda than the 2005 report supposedly about her.

More info requested.

Today I am mailing inquiry letters to the Spokane County Sheriff's Office and to the Spokane Police Department asking for Linda's Missing Person Report.

I hope you hear something soon, burblestein.

In doing more research, I found that Linda graduated from Sentinel High School in Missoula in 1966. Their 50th reunion, a joint one with Hellgate High School, was held just a few weeks ago. Linda's name is listed on the reunion website in the "In Memoriam" section.

https://hellgatesentinel1966reunion....m/in-memoriam/

No luck this time

Letter received from Spokane Police Dept today. They have no 1974 reports on Linda.

Now let's see what the Spokane County Sheriff's Office says.

The missing seven years

Coleraine, did you find anything about Linda's activities between her high school graduation and her final hitchhiking trip?

I haven't found anything about Linda at all. I'm hoping that a relative or friend of hers might come across this thread and decide to jump in to the discussion.

Well, I began this as an army of one. Now we are two. Perseverance furthers.

Just stopping by and thought I'd comment. My particular interest is Humboldt county, having lived there many years ago. So many have disappeared in the Emerald Triangle, so thanks for putting these Mendocino cases on WS, Burblestein. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleraine View Post
    Burblestein, I don't know if you've already seen this but I thought I'd point out that Linda's uncle has commented on Linda's record on the missingin.org site. He's looking for any up-to-date info on her case and offers to answer questions about her.

http://www.missingin.org/reg4904/linda_lee_lovell.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by burblestein View Post
    No, I didn't because I usually don't read comments. I just now submitted an email comment on the site, directed at her uncle. When approved, it should post. I have also already requested Linda's Missing Person Report from the Santa Maria Police. Next I will query other jurisdictions where she has been reported missing.

Another great catch by Coleraine!
    I don't see your comment, so I wonder if the site is still active.

I'm an avid comment reader myself and highly recommend it. Even though they can't usually be used on WS, they often bring up names and facts to research. I've learned a lot reading comments on Lost Coast Outpost (LoCO) over the years, even though I liken it to mucking about in a pigpen looking for a diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleraine View Post
    I hope you hear from him. I know his post is from 2014 but perhaps he checks it from time to time. Sad news about Linda's mother, too, from the other comment by her cousin.
    BBM

It might be possible to contact him directly. I googled and found two possibilities in Arkansas. One in his late 50's and one in his late 70's. Even the younger one could be an uncle to a ten year old niece in a large family (Linda would be in her late 60's).
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

We hear it through the grapevine....

I must admit that since I began in WS I have changed my attitude towards Comments sections. I won't base anything I post on a comment, but I find them useful for suggesting new sources of info. It seems that the Emerald Triangle grapevine is sometimes more informative than supposedly more reliable sources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast