608 users online (80 members and 528 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

A parent speaks out about the abusive priests- she is not suing

When Missi Limcaco's pastor told her the church would deal with the priest and youth minister who allegedly molested her son and other boys in the parish, she believed him. So did her boy.

“Finally, after months of avoiding it, Danny wanted to go to Mass again, so we did,” said Limcaco. “Guess who came down the aisle in the procession? I couldn't believe it. Danny just got up and went out of church. Afterward I asked the pastor how this could happen. He told me it was Easter season and they were busy and they needed Father Harry. He said he was sorry but he just hadn't thought about that.”

That was in 1981, a few months before the Rev. Harry E. Monroe would be removed from St. Patrick's parish in Terre Haute and placed on leave for a year by the archbishop of Indianapolis, the late Edward T. O'Meara. In 1983, Monroe would be assigned to his fifth post in less than 10 years, serving three parishes in the Tell City area.

Danny Limcaco would not be alive to learn of the dismissal or of previous molestation reports from Indianapolis families that had followed the young priest to St. Patrick's.

On March 10, 1983, Missi Limcaco found her 19-year-old son dead on the floor of a tool shed in the backyard of the family's home, then in Woodridge.

He had died from inhaling carbon monoxide from a running lawn mower.

Danny's younger half-brother, John, always believed there was a connection, and he said so until the day he died: Dec. 31, 1988. Suffering from early-onset bipolar disorder and drug abuse that therapists told the family had been triggered by Danny's death, John Patrick Limcaco shot himself to death after being involved in a minor traffic accident on North Third Street.
    http://www.tribstar.com/articles/200...rday/top01.txt
    A very powerful article, very much worth reading the entire article!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Father Harry is a preditor, this poor family has suffered so much.

They just didn't care. I'm not at all convinced that they care now - they seem to have the usual 'sorry we were caught' kind of remorse, a change to avoid lawsuits rather than a change because they realize they did something horribly, horribly wrong to these children, to all these families.

Just looking at this one: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1022856.shtml
    Trial could force the church to turn over documents showing how it handled alleged abusers. Cardinal Roger Mahony had vowed to settle all 562 abuse cases against diocesan personnel.

"If even one of these trials takes place, Mahony and other high-ranking church officials may finally be put under oath and forced to tell how much they knew and how little they did about clearly dangerous serial offenders," said David Clohessy, national director of the advocacy group Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests. ...

Attorneys for 500 alleged victims and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles had previously agreed to release the information, but lawyers for accused clergy succeeded in blocking publication, arguing it would violate priests' privacy rights. An appellate court last month ordered the documents to be released after nearly three years of legal wrangling.
    I just don't see the remorse here, just trying to get out of it while not revealling what they really did.

And as this parent shows, the lawsuits don't include nearly all the cases - some people like her don't sue - many others never talked about it. It all just makes me sick!

This is the part that got to me:
    An official in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Nashville, Tenn., responded to lawsuits against a former priest - in prison for multiple counts of admitted child molestation - with a stunning announcement: If church officials were to be held responsible for knowing but not reporting the priest's crimes, then everyone else who knew about the abuse should also be held responsible - including 21 boys the priest admitted to molesting but who did not come forward to tell of the abuse.
    The church counseled the parents not to call police, and they said they would take care of it. Then the Archdiocese turns around blames the parents and the kids themselves for being responsible because the child got molested and they didn't tell anyone outside the church!
    Then when it finally started coming out, the church continued to the last minute to deny and to hide evidence of any wrongdoing. I am not Catholic, but mostly respected the Catholic religion up till that point. But at that point, it became clear that the church had little regard for its community, except as a means to an end.
    I feel for those of the Catholic persuasion, for them it had to be as bad or worse than finding out if their own fathers had molested their children. Probably worse, because it would hold everything they were ever taught in question.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I was Catholic, raised that way, mom Catholic (currently considering a different religion), grandmother very, very Catholic (obviously I haven't asked her opinion of this). It's unbelievable - those who were up there every Sunday preaching right from wrong were often phoneys - they were molesters, or they kept quiet about molesters. And the higher ups are even worse - a 'bishop' turns out to merely be the guy who has the dirty job of shuffling around the pedophiles.

The Catholic Church (hierarchy) is very, very deeply sick.

As a lifelong Catholic, I am very, very offended--not by the posts here, but by the church hierarchy for the coverup. Ok, back when some of these things were happening we did not have the understanding we do now about pedophiles and the extremely low chance of their changing. How can anyone possibly defend the cardinals, etc. who are still, to this day, stonewalling? No one in my family was molested and I do not even know anyone who was (unless, of course, the victim heeded the advice to refrain from telling anyone), but I feel so cheated by my church hierarchy.

I guess in some ways it is a reminder that the priests are not the religion, the church is not the religion, the religion is about God and your community. And that is where you put your faith, not in the church hierarchy.

>>The Catholic Church (hierarchy) is very, very deeply sick.<<

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    The Catholic Church has alot to answer for, starting in 325 ad with the Council Of Nicea.
    It is not normal for people not to have sex.
    Liking little boys is almost a pre requisite to becoming a priest these days.

Mysteriew-
    I agree with your statement. I have long said I do believe in God, but I have a problem with organized religion (tho I do attend services).