1340 users online (258 members and 1082 guests)  

Websleuths News

LA - Deputy Donna Leblanc And Daughter Murdered - West Baton Rouge

'Nuisance' neighbor kills sheriff's deputy, daughter in mystery murder-suicide, authorities say

Louisiana law enforcement officials are trying to determine what caused a man described as a “nuisance” by neighbors to gun down a West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputy and her 20-year-old daughter before turning the gun on himself.

Deputy Donna LeBlanc had just arrived Tuesday afternoon at her home in Glynn in neighboring Pointe Coupee Parish when she spotted 29-year-old Gregory Phillips talking to her daughter, Carli Jo LeBlanc, on their porch, the Baton Rouge Advocate reported. Donna LeBlanc’s 9-year-old daughter was in the house, locked inside by her older sister.
    Authorities: West Baton Rouge deputy died trying to protect family; why it happened still a mystery

But authorities and people who knew Donna LeBlanc said she died Tuesday trying to protect her home from a man with whom the family shared a strained relationship. Phillips lived across the street from the family, in a shabby trailer shrouded by overgrown grass and trees.
    West Baton Rouge deputy Donna LeBlanc exchanged gunfire with a neighbor who had been arguing with LeBlanc and her daughter before the neighbor fatally shot both of them and killed himself, Pointe Coupee Sheriff Bud Torres said.
    "We don't know what the argument was about. We don't have any eye-witnesses," Torres said. "There will be parts of this that are lost."

Torres said Phillips had no significant criminal history but he was aware the man suffered from some mental issues. "The extent of that, I don't know," he added.

I was surprised there wasn't already a thread for this. I searched around but maybe I missed it? Apologies if this is a duplicate.

Aw geez, this is so sad. Thank God the daughter locked her little sister in her room or she would have been murdered too. Dang, I wonder what set this guy off. Hopefully the husband can shed some light on what was happening.