OH OH - Oak Harbor, WhtFem 20-30, UP15854, Love Knot Ring, gap in front teeth, smoker, Oct'75

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a 1975 UID case that is not listed in NamUs.

1975 Sandusky Ohio Jane.jpg1975 Sandusky Ohio Jane Ring.jpg

FBI hopes sketch will help solve 40 year old Ohio cold case

On October 22, 1975, two hunters found the nude body of the female floating in a tributary of Mud Creek in Ottawa County, Ohio.

The coroner’s office ruled her death as “questioned death.” It is believed that she had been deceased for 48 to 72 hours at the time of discovery.

She is believed to have been approximately 5’4” tall, between 20 and 30 years of age in 1975, and between 140 to 150 pounds, with medium-length brown/reddish hair, brown or hazel eyes, pierced ears but was not wearing earrings at the time, and widely spaced teeth with very poor dental health. She was a smoker and had given birth to at least one child, possibly within the year. She did not have any scars, birthmarks, or tattoos.

Also, a photo of a unique ring that the unidentified female was wearing is being released. It is described as a wire love knot-type ring.

Read More:
http://www.wfmj.com/story/33318476/fbi-hopes-sketch-will-help-solve-40-year-old-ohio-cold-case

FBI hopes sketch will help solve 40 year old Ohio cold case

TOLEDO, Ohio -
Investigators are hoping new technology and a piece of jewelry will help them solve a cold case involving a female whose body was found in the Sandusky, Ohio area more than forty years ago.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday released a photo composite that has been reconstructed using advanced technology based on the remains.

On October 22, 1975, two hunters found the nude body of the female floating in a tributary of Mud Creek in Ottawa County, Ohio.

The coroner’s office ruled her death as “questioned death.” It is believed that she had been deceased for 48 to 72 hours at the time of discovery.

An investigation by Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office detectives ensued, all leads were exhausted, and, almost 41 years later, her identity remains a mystery.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office has never closed this case.

She is believed to have been approximately 5’4” tall, between 20 and 30 years of age in 1975, and between 140 to 150 pounds, with medium-length brown/reddish hair, brown or hazel eyes, pierced ears but was not wearing earrings at the time, and widely spaced teeth with very poor dental health. She was a smoker and had given birth to at least one child, possibly within the year. She did not have any scars, birthmarks, or tattoos.

Also, a photo of a unique ring that the unidentified female was wearing is being released. It is described as a wire love knot-type ring.

Investigators home that someone will recognize the composite photo or ring.

Anyone with any information regarding this individual or the ring is asked to contact the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office at (419) 734-4404 or the FBI, Toledo Resident Agency at (419) 243-6122.

I just saw this story. Here's another news source (same info): http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/ohio...of-1975-ottawa-county-murder-victim/328888642
Closer pic of the ring from that link:
cold%20case%20ring_1475598273554_6354881_ver1.0.PNG

LOL! We are on the same track. I was typing this and someone posted her already. :)

NamUs MP # 8430

Dorothy Madden went missing from about an hour away in August 1975.

It was considered a voluntary walkaway per DN, so no one was looking for her. She has a 5 year old son and was possibly pregnant (2.5 months) at the time of her disappearance.

IDK about the circumstances, but, the heights, weights, age, hair & eye color are all on target.

Dorothy Madden.jpg

LOL! We are on the same track. I was typing this and someone posted her already. :)

NamUs MP # 8430

Dorothy Madden went missing from about an hour away in August 1975.

It was considered a voluntary walkaway per DN, so no one was looking for her. She has a 5 year old son and was possibly pregnant (2.5 months) at the time of her disappearance.

IDK about the circumstances, but, the heights, weights, age, hair & eye color are all on target.

attachment.php

On the NAMP page I posted up above it said that her boyfriend first reported her missing as his wife. It turned out they were not actually married but "passed themselves off as being married". I was thinking if she was pregnant, maybe she miscarried. That would explain why the woman found appeared to have given birth recently. If it was her.

I was thinking if she was pregnant, maybe she miscarried. That would explain why the woman found appeared to have given birth recently. If it was her.

I was thinking the same thing.

So, does anyone want to call Dorothy or Jan in?

I only looked at that one case so if anyone has hunted down anything else maybe they would be best to submit her/them.

NamUs UP 15854

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15854

Unidentified White Female

Found October 22, 1975 in Ottawa County, OH
Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Probable year of death: 1975 (2 Days
)

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20-30
Approximate Height: 64 estimate
Approximate Weight: 140 estimate.
Hair Color:
She had medium-length brown or reddish hair
Eye Color:
brown or hazel eyes
Scars and marks:
She was a smoker and had given birth to at least one child, possibly in the year before she died.

Clothing & Accessories

Clothing: Nothing
Jewerly: Nothing.
Footwear: nothing
Accessories:
The ring is described as a wire love knot; pierced ears

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is
available and will be entered later
DNA: sample is currently not available

Case History:
Two hunters found the woman's naked body floating in the water Oct. 22, 1975 at a tributary in Mud Creek four miles south and East of Oak Harbor, OH.

There is not a lot to go on with this case but I came across Sheryl Tillinghast. She is the same height and weight. She went missing a few years prior to this jane doe being found. They both had a large gap in front teeth and brown hair. Tho the pic of Sheryl makes it look like she has more of red hair. The circumstances surrounding Sheryl's disappearance and the location are off unless she did decide to runaway and was heading towards California like she mentioned to a sister, but the sisters was supposed to accompany her. The UP does not have DNA on file but Sheryl does. UP has dental information but Sheryl does not. The newspaper article for the UP states her teeth were in bad shape. Sheryl never saw a dentist according to her sister in an online comment so possible she had bad teeth as well. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3259/. Sheryl was only 17 when she went missing. The UP is estimated 20 to 30 years old. But with a 2 year difference when Sheryl was last seen and this UP would have made Sheryl 19 to 20 years old so the age range is fairly close. Anyone think this is good enough to submit? There is also no mention of whether Sheryl was a smoker or a mother, but in the time frame of when she went missing and was found she could have had a child. Especially if she was with the abusive boyfriend.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15854

From what I found the family was abusive is why Sheryl was in the home in the first place. The siblings were not provided any information about her other than she had disappeared. After the grandmother and mother passed the siblings filed the missing person report. I am not sure the 1973 missing date is even accurate since it was not filed until 1998. Also what I found odd was that the school/home has no recollection of her per comments section found here https://charleyross.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/megan-emerick-and-sheryl-tillinghast/.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back