Italian designer releases drug-themed clothing line

K_Z

Verified Anesthetist
Reaction score
Clothing and accessories with prescription pill design upsets substance abuse awareness organization

Some call it art. It's a collection of clothes, purses and accessories with a prescription pill design. Others say it is irresponsible.

The items are handbags, dresses, sweatshirts, and even i-phone cases printed with images of prescription pills and prescription bottles. The designer is Moschino, based in Milan.

Nordstrom's website lists Moschino pill-bottle purses, iPhone case, clutch and cross body bag ranging from $95 to $1,095.

http://www.king5.com/news/clothing-...stance-abuse-awareness-organization/327475863

Nordstrom petitioned to remove drug-themed clothing

More than a thousand people have signed an online petition from a Minneapolis drug counselor objecting to a drug-themed clothing line carried by Nordstrom.

The clothing and accessories by the Italian brand Moschino include dresses dotted with colorful pill capsules and handbags in the shape of prescription pill bottles. Opponents say the clothing glamorizes drug use and is inappropriate in light of the nation's drug epidemic.

http://www.kare11.com/news/nordstrom-petitioned-to-remove-drug-themed-clothing/329166389

Designer releases controversial line of drug-themed clothing, accessories

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/moschino_capsule_line_causing.html

https://www.moschino.com/look/index...le?hashvalue=&siteCode=MOSCHINO_US#shopbyitem

Many pictures of the items at the link above. I certainly wouldn't purchase or wear such items, even as a halloween costume, or would I allow my kids to wear those items. But should the stores be boycotted?

So, it is a "freedom of expression" issue? Or not? Is it "art"?

It's certainly offensive to many, and seen as glamorizing drug use.

Most drug themed clothing and accessories is sold in counter-culture venues that kids don't typically have access to. Nordstrom's is a high end department store-- does that make a difference? Would there be outrage if a store like Target or Walmart carried these items? What if they were marketed to teens, babies, or children?

So then I pondered whether, or how, this is any different than "marijuana leaf" shirts and accessories. I personally wouldn't wear those, either, or allow my kids to wear them.

Prompts thoughts such as how schools might view these items in the dress code, etc. Certainly controversial, in light of the current drug and heroin epidemic.

Thoughts?

Makes me sick. Maybe they should add pics of people's funerals

When I read the article that KZ posted earlier today I began to reply but had to delete it. As someone who was addicted for many years to a doctor's prescribed Hydrocodone, I was immediately disgusted. Why would any designer want to encourage or make 'fashionable' the use of any kind of pills? I have been down that road and am so sad to see that many people of all ages are becoming more and more addicted to narcotics. Unfortunately these pills are now so readily prevalent on the street without a prescription....I never had the courage to try to find them other than through my doctor (who controlled my usage but it was still addiction). I truly am so sad to see that this has now become a novelty. It scares me that so many people will eventually die from OD'ing or have to live through the hell of withdrawal.

Thankfully, the items are so expensive (and in such bad taste) that very few will be wearing or displaying them, IMO-- at least not your average teenager. But some celebrity/ies will probably splash these all over their social media, and make sure they are photographed by paparazzi wearing them. For shock value alone.

My concern is that if this happens, if celebrities embrace this drug theme "fashion", then lower price knock offs could quickly be in regular discount stores, like Target and Walmart. And then teens would think it was "cool" and counter culture to wear these, or carry the pill bottle purse.

The whole idea of this as "fashion" is really disgusting, IMO. I agree with the above poster-- these should come with a purchase requirement that they have to view autopsy photos and videos.

IMO, all the stuff is ugly. Can't imagine buying it, it has a useful life of about 10 minutes.

Re: Target ~ IIRC Target has teamed up with Moschino in the past.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back