1344 users online (262 members and 1082 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

GPS units to track three sex offenders

Three Camden men have become the first high-risk sex offenders to be outfitted with a satellite tracking device as part of a two-year pilot program that state officials say will help protect children from pedophiles.

The $3 million project is expected to monitor the movements of New Jersey's 250 worst sexual predators using global positioning satellite technology that state Parole Board officers will supervise 24 hours a day, board spokesman Edward Bray said.

The pilot program will ultimately include all 210 "tier-three" sex offenders -- those deemed by the courts to be the most dangerous -- as well as a number of "tier-two" offenders. Under the new law, any offender who fails to comply with the program or tampers with the tracking equipment would be guilty of a crime, punishable by up to five years in prison and $15,000 in fines.

The board plans to add more offenders to the program in the coming months, Bray said. All 250 will be enrolled by May, when 20 parole officers trained to handle the technology will graduate from the academy.

The Parole Board is considering using GPS to track offenders involved in domestic violence cases to prevent them from abusing their former partners again, although Bray said the Legislature would have to pass a law authorizing the expansion of the program.
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....080.xml&coll=1
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I like the way they are doing this. It actually shows some common sense. I think other states should model their monitoring laws after New Jersey's idea.

I liked that they are now considering using this in domestic violence cases!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I'd like to see "Open Hunting Season" on anyone who tampers with the device, but I guess I'll settle . . .

Very good start.

It's too bad it can't be something like a shock collar that reads their minds and every time they think of doing something harmful to a child they get zapped!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mconeal
    It's too bad it can't be something like a shock collar that reads their minds and every time they think of doing something harmful to a child they get zapped!!!!!!

Hey, you're my kind of poster! LOL Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mconeal
    Scanners!

I'm confused. If they are the "worst" and "most dangerous" predators, shouldn't they be in jail??? I don't think a person with the word "predator" attached to their name should be out and about with us normal people.