762 users online (108 members and 654 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.

IL-Chicago Police Officer Says She Feared Using Gun While Being Beaten Oct. 2016

CHICAGO POLICE OFFICER SAYS SHE FEARED USING GUN WHILE BEING BEATEN

http://abc7chicago.com/1543015/

A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

When those who protect and serve us feel they are unable to protect themselves we are in big trouble folks.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

The injured officer is in serious but stable condition. The suspect has three prior gun arrests.

http://www.wlsam.com/2016/10/07/cpd-...-would-suffer/
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-91659184/

Chicago cop is the face of the Ferguson Effect

"Rather than take action she believed was justified and could have taken, she chose not to," Angelo told me. "In Los Angeles, police have a saying: Save your life, lose your job."
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

If I were an officer, I'd be afraid to shoot someone who was assaulting me too. Especially if that person happened to be black. How sad that it's come to that.
    MOO

We lost an officer in Southern California this past weekend. Some are speculating that he died because he was afraid to shoot as well. He had a burglary suspect held at gunpoint. While waiting for his partner to come back him up, the suspect drew on him from his waistband---and killed the deputy. Some are saying that the officer was reticent about shooting when the guy 'reached' for his waistband, because he was not sure he really had a gun. And he paid for it with his life.

eta:
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    Last edited by katydid23; 10-07-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

My 13-year old daughter wants to be a cop, but I hope she changes her mind. I'd never stop worrying.
    MOO

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    When those who protect and serve us feel they are unable to protect themselves we are in big trouble folks.

JMO
    Incredibly sad it's come to this.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Chicago officer beaten but does not shoot, Police Union President reacts.

http://www.wlsam.com/2016/10/07/chic...sident-reacts/

Angelo told “The Big John and Ray Show” on WLS that the incident, which happened on Wednesday at Roosevelt Road and Cicero Avenue, is a perfect example of increased scrutiny on police causing an officer to refrain from taking a legitimate step to protect herself and the community. “This is exactly what’s going on right now” said Angelo, “In the deep recesses, maybe not that deep, of these officers minds, is that next You Tube video or that next headline.”
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Angelo told “The Big John and Ray Show” on WLS that the incident, which happened on Wednesday at Roosevelt Road and Cicero Avenue, is a perfect example of increased scrutiny on police causing an officer to refrain from taking a legitimate step to protect herself and the community. “This is exactly what’s going on right now” said Angelo, “In the deep recesses, maybe not that deep, of these officers minds, is that next You Tube video or that next headline.”
    Not only are they 'not shooting' ----they are also holding back from many possible interactions and engagements with the public that might put them in a bad situation.

I know personally, of some officers who have said they have changed their tactics, and are much less 'proactive' in looking at suspicious people. They do not want to be put in the position of having to defend themselves if they stop a suspicious group of teens out late at night or a car full of shady looking gang members. They do not want to have to pull their weapons so they don't go and stop the car in the dark parking lot anymore because if they have no 911 call to rely upon, they feel they will be accused of profiling or something, if they want to see what a car is doing at 2 am in a strip mall lot. So some have told me that they just drive on by and wait until there is a burglar alarm or a 911 dispatcher instead of trying to head off the trouble themselves. It is not worth it to them at this point because they have little to gain and much to lose.

I find it sad but it is what it is. Why would they want to put their careers/lives on the line with the current social attitudes toward their profession?

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Not only are they 'not shooting' ----they are also holding back from many possible interactions and engagements with the public that might put them in a bad situation.

I know personally, of some officers who have said they have changed their tactics, and are much less 'proactive' in looking at suspicious people. They do not want to be put in the position of having to defend themselves if they stop a suspicious group of teens out late at night or a car full of shady looking gang members. They do not want to have to pull their weapons so they don't go and stop the car in the dark parking lot anymore because if they have no 911 call to rely upon, they feel they will be accused of profiling or something, if they want to see what a car is doing at 2 am in a strip mall lot. So some have told me that they just drive on by and wait until there is a burglar alarm or a 911 dispatcher instead of trying to head off the trouble themselves. It is not worth it to them at this point because they have little to gain and much to lose.

I find it sad but it is what it is. Why would they want to put their careers/lives on the line with the current social attitudes toward their profession?
    Wow, that scares the hell out of me.
    MOO

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    Wow, that scares the hell out of me.
    It is not happening everywhere. Just in the high crime areas mostly because that is where their critics are waiting for them to mess up. And it is very sad because that is where they should have the greatest levels of support from the public.

But if they pull over a car that looks 'suspicious' ---that is now questioned and called 'systemic racism' if the occupants are minorities. So it is difficult for the cops to pull someone over, even if they are in a dark strip mall at 2 am. Because they can still be accused of profiling or being biased etc.

CHICAGO POLICE OFFICER SAYS SHE FEARED USING GUN WHILE BEING BEATEN

http://abc7chicago.com/1543015/

A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.
    This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!

I wonder how they finally got this guy under control.

Dean Angelo told WLS “The non lethal options are exhausted with no impact. The officer tasered this guy 20 times, directly placing the device on his body for an extended amount of time and had no impact. Exhausted all of his pepper mace. And he (perpetrator) continues to attack.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    This is great! I mean it's awful she was hurt, but she didn't resort to the easy way out and killing another person needlessly. You can feel afraid but it doesn't have to dictate how you behave (which is true for everyone).

What a great example! Instead of hanging her head in shame or apologizing she should be proud!!
    There is nothing great about this. At all.

Her face was beat into the concrete until she passed out. Nobody should have to endure this. Shooting this "person" would not have been needless. She should have felt confident to use her department issued firearm to defend herself.

There should be a lot of heads hanging in shame. Not hers certainly. But the fact our officers are scared to defend themselves is a shame.

JMO

ETA: she could have easily died. I hope that's clear.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast