No cursor visible; Can't highlight to edit; Can't use emojis

Lilibet

Southern Oregon
Reaction score
Since upgrading my iPad to iOS 10 yesterday, there is no cursor visible when I write a post. I'm flying blind knowing where I am within the post if I want to edit, select a section to bold, etc. In fact, the select function doesn't even work except for the one word I'm next to. I can't drag the highlight across a section. Also, I just tried to add a "gaah" emoji and I'm no longer able to do so.

Help!

Never mind! I logged out and logged back in and the problem disappeared. What tipped me off is that I didn't have the problem on my phone and I had recently logged out and in on it.

:blushing:

I spoke too soon. :mad: The cursor on my iPad has disappeared again and didn't come back this time after I logged out and back in. I still have a cursor on my iPhone. No emojis again also. This is crazy.

When I said I logged out, I meant I logged out of WS. Finally, I shut down my iPad and when I turned it back on the problem was solved...for the moment. Stay tuned for updates. I'd really like to know what has caused this problem though, sleuth that I am. :D

I'm still having intermittent problems with an invisible cursor. In fact I'm typing this post without one. Please help!!!!

Tricia recently posted an announcement about vBulletin layout. I don"t know if that is the same thing causing your problem, but you might want to check it out. I am using an ipad and have had some problems lately, but overall is doing OK.

The announcement is at the top of the page of "new posts" or here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/announcement.php?f=&a=294

Tricia recently posted an announcement about vBulletin layout. I don"t know if that is the same thing causing your problem, but you might want to check it out. I am using an ipad and have had some problems lately, but overall is doing OK.

The announcement is at the top of the page of "new posts" or here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/announcement.php?f=&a=294

Thanks for the suggestion Spellbound. I've been in touch with Tricia tonight and asked about whether it has something to do with this. Right now I have a cursor but I didn't a couple of hours ago when I PMd Tricia. I don't know if it's fixed or intermittent.

Could it be from your iOS update? I ask because I was getting a notification on my macbook to do that update. And I was about to do so, and my husband walked by and yelled NOOOOOOO....don't click update yet-----:eek:

Then he told me he had updated his laptop at work that day and ended up 'uninstalling it'---taking a few hours to sort it out--had to bring IT guy in for help. He said after he updated iOS , his laptop would not do even simple things, like space bar, highlighting etc. SOOOOO.......?

Could it be from your iOS update? I ask because I was getting a notification on my macbook to do that update. And I was about to do so, and my husband walked by and yelled NOOOOOOO....don't click update yet-----:eek:

Then he told me he had updated his laptop at work that day and ended up 'uninstalling it'---taking a few hours to sort it out--had to bring IT guy in for help. He said after he updated iOS , his laptop would not do even simple things, like space bar, highlighting etc. SOOOOO.......?

That was my first thought! I did update to iOS 10 recently on my iPads and iPhone. I delayed doing it because I read an article warning against it, but decided they might have things ironed out after a few weeks. The weird thing is that the cursor problem is intermittent. I started this post with a cursor. It disappeared in the second sentence and came back in the third. Crazy!
I don't have this problem doing emails, so I think it's WS.

I don't know what version iPad you are using, but I have three: iPad2 and mini iPad are both at version 9.3.5 and are "up to date". Maybe they don't update any further, I really don't know. But I usually used the iPad 2 and was having so much trouble that I thought it was going kaput on me. So .... I recently went and bought an iPad Pro, which is at version 10.0.2 now.

If I think back, some of the problems you are having are very similar to what occurred for me. I often could not even get the reply box to allow me to type. Cursor invisible, pages would hang ( not just here), paragraphs did not separate although they were typed as paragraphs, could not go back and edit -- the box would never come up, etc . I blamed the ipad, because I did not have the same problems on the PC. Since getting the Pro, I don't recall any glitches lately.

Anyway, most of the times I have problems here, it is with an ipad, not PC, so I "think" there must be an issue using tablets that is intermittent, as you have so well explained. Sorry that I don"t have any helpful tips for you.

Since upgrading my iPad to iOS 10 yesterday, there is no cursor visible when I write a post. I'm flying blind knowing where I am within the post if I want to edit, select a section to bold, etc. In fact, the select function doesn't even work except for the one word I'm next to. I can't drag the highlight across a section. Also, I just tried to add a "gaah" emoji and I'm no longer able to do so.

Help!

I've had issues on my iPhone since installing iOS10, one is like you, I think it's Safari, it's a bit buggy. The other was when my internet went off so I couldn't use wifi on my phone, and I was checking on WS using 4G, which was a real nightmare. Constant ad redirects, hijacking my phone trying to give me free gifts or to download apps. That was when I used Tapatalk and it worked like a charm.

I have 2 suggestions, until they work on an update try using either the Tapatalk App or the Google Chrome browser App. (both are free)

I don't know what version iPad you are using, but I have three: iPad2 and mini iPad are both at version 9.3.5 and are "up to date". Maybe they don't update any further, I really don't know. But I usually used the iPad 2 and was having so much trouble that I thought it was going kaput on me. So .... I recently went and bought an iPad Pro, which is at version 10.0.2 now.

If I think back, some of the problems you are having are very similar to what occurred for me. I often could not even get the reply box to allow me to type. Cursor invisible, pages would hang ( not just here), paragraphs did not separate although they were typed as paragraphs, could not go back and edit -- the box would never come up, etc . I blamed the ipad, because I did not have the same problems on the PC. Since getting the Pro, I don't recall any glitches lately.

Anyway, most of the times I have problems here, it is with an ipad, not PC, so I "think" there must be an issue using tablets that is intermittent, as you have so well explained. Sorry that I don"t have any helpful tips for you.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this Spellbound. My iPad Air is less than two years old. I'm going to try posting on my newer mini. The worst of it with the paragraphs, etc seems to have stopped and at the moment I have a cursor. This is like taking your car to the mechanic and it stops making the noise that was driving you nuts. :)

I've had issues on my iPhone since installing iOS10, one is like you, I think it's Safari, it's a bit buggy. The other was when my internet went off so I couldn't use wifi on my phone, and I was checking on WS using 4G, which was a real nightmare. Constant ad redirects, hijacking my phone trying to give me free gifts or to download apps. That was when I used Tapatalk and it worked like a charm.

I have 2 suggestions, until they work on an update try using either the Tapatalk App or the Google Chrome browser App. (both are free)

Thanks Skibs. I'm going to see how it goes, since all is well at the moment, and if it returns I'll switch to Chrome as you suggested. I'm always reading people posting that they can't do certain things with Tapatalk, so I'm a little hesitant to try it, but it can't be worse than the posting mess the past few days!

I had another thought. Down at the bottom left of this (every) page is a box with a down-arrow, where you choose the style for the page. By chance, did you select the mobil version? I have mine always on Standard Styles --ws2016 . You might try selecting a different version to see if that helps. (and as I was typing, nothing was appearing for a moment, so I had to re-type that last sentence. gah)

Also, check in settings (General Settings) under Miscellaneous Options. I use the first choice Enhanced Interface. Sometimes it helps to try the different options and use what works best. It may or may not make a difference for this issue.

I had another thought. Down at the bottom left of this (every) page is a box with a down-arrow, where you choose the style for the page. By chance, did you select the mobil version? I have mine always on Standard Styles --ws2016 . You might try selecting a different version to see if that helps. (and as I was typing, nothing was appearing for a moment, so I had to re-type that last sentence. gah)

Also, check in settings (General Settings) under Miscellaneous Options. I use the first choice Enhanced Interface. Sometimes it helps to try the different options and use what works best. It may or may not make a difference for this issue.

I will check but I think mine is set on WS Default. I think the tech thing Tricia told us would be going on had to do with getting all mobile people on the correct version (not mobile, I believe). The next time my issues happen I'll try changing. Thanks!

ETA: Since I last looked, its changed in both places to ws2016. I have enhanced messaging. Maybe tech guy did something.

I will check but I think mine is set on WS Default. I think the tech thing Tricia told us would be going on had to do with getting all mobile people on the correct version (not mobile, I believe). The next time my issues happen I'll try changing. Thanks!

ETA: Since I last looked, its changed in both places to ws2016. I have enhanced messaging. Maybe tech guy did something.

Ok, so far we are both the same there, but I wasn't clear on the second one. What I was meaning is the category on the settings page (General Settings, Message Editor) just before the forum skin choice (we2015) .... which format are you using? It looks like this, and mine is set on the first:

Message Editor Interface:
  • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

Ok, so far we are both the same there, but I wasn't clear on the second one. What I was meaning is the category on the settings page (General Settings, Message Editor) just before the forum skin choice (we2015) .... which format are you using? It looks like this, and mine is set on the first:

Message Editor Interface:
  • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear in my ETA when I said I have enhanced messaging. I meant the enhanced interface in message editor, which I've always used. So I think we're set up the same.

What was happening was that when I formatted paragraphs by double spacing between them, the spaces would disappear when I posted, as if I'd just run all the sentences next to each other...not even a space between the period and the start of the next sentence. It seems to be behaving at the moment.

Yes, it does seem we have the same settings. Glad it is working now. Sounds like a problem I had recently that disappeared on its own, too. Fingers crossed all stays working.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back