GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.

According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day.
"While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.

By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/22/justice/fsu-professor-killing-mystery/

Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

I have a feeling that Charlie will be arrested before this thread is finished.

-Fingers Crossed Emoji-

I have been following this case since the murder in July 2014. I always thought WA was the only person who had anything/everything to gain by DM's murder. I thought that if her family did order this execution style murder, they would have been too careful to allow this to be traced back to them. Instead, it appear CA hired coked-up hit men who are related to him by 1 degree of separation via a greedy girlfriend who was paid by an obvious money trail by DA via the dental office which phone records suggest KM visited once. After all of these months of speculation, it is fascinating to hear the actual details of the murder from LR. For instance, I wondered why would a rental car break down requiring they purchase parts and fix it themselves - usually they have 5K miles on them etc.
Turns out SG in his coke/liquor induced haze shot through the floorboard. I wonder if they can track down that bullet, from either the car or the ground and match it to the one used in the crime. I also found it amusing to hear that SG thinks he looks like CA, something I noted when the pictures of all the players was originally posted.
It will be very interesting to see if KM will name WA and HA as coconspirators - I believe that CA and DA will definitely be implicated

I wonder if some of the conspirators were following a police radio scanner in order to find out so quickly?

Doubt it. Based on the evidence we've seen so far, they weren't exactly using technology to their benefit. More likely, I think WA contacted Charlie when she saw the roads were closed.

I have been following this case since the murder in July 2014. I always thought WA was the only person who had anything/everything to gain by DM's murder. I thought that if her family did order this execution style murder, they would have been too careful to allow this to be traced back to them. Instead, it appear CA hired coked-up hit men who are related to him by 1 degree of separation via a greedy girlfriend who was paid by an obvious money trail by DA via the dental office which phone records suggest KM visited once. After all of these months of speculation, it is fascinating to hear the actual details of the murder from LR. For instance, I wondered why would a rental car break down requiring they purchase parts and fix it themselves - usually they have 5K miles on them etc.
Turns out SG in his coke/liquor induced haze shot through the floorboard. I wonder if they can track down that bullet, from either the car or the ground and match it to the one used in the crime. I also found it amusing to hear that SG thinks he looks like CA, something I noted when the pictures of all the players was originally posted.
It will be very interesting to see if KM will name WA and HA as coconspirators - I believe that CA and DA will definitely be implicated

Welcome to Ws Missy S, thanks for bringing attention to the humorous elements in this tragedy !

BBM. In order for them to be implicated, I think it will have to come from KM. We know CA and DA will not flip on the princess, so it will have to be KM. Hopefully she has enough info. I am doubtful about HA since so far all we've heard about is one phone call (from KM?) to his phone, and him being in that far off private conversation on surveillance.

Welcome to WS, Missy :).

We know CA and DA will not flip on the princess, so it will have to be KM.

I think there is a chance, albeit small, that Charlie will flip on WA. Recall how quickly she threw him under the bus in her police interview? That may still be lingering in his mind. When the death penalty is looming, his allegiance to his sister might just falter.

Edited to add that hopefully Katherine will have the necessary info and it won't be necessary.

Do you think HA was supplying the money?

Somewhere on here I read that DA, CA, and WA would split the $100,000 payment. Would DA actually have that much money of her own or would it be coming out of a joint account with Hubby? Would this not tie HA into the murder in some charge?

I think there is a chance, albeit small, that Charlie will flip on WA. Recall how quickly she threw him under the bus in her police interview? That may still be lingering in his mind. When the death penalty is looming, his allegiance to his sister might just falter.
Another possibility is that with pressure building, including possible links to WA, the mother might strike a deal in which she testifies and takes all the blame, exonerating WA.

Another possibility is that with pressure building, including possible links to WA, the mother might strike a deal in which she testifies and takes all the blame, exonerating WA.

Why would the prosecution go for that?

Edited to add that hopefully Katherine will have the necessary info and it won't be necessary.

This could go two ways as I see it. I think CA has always done what DA wanted and this murder was just doing what Mommy said. OR

It might be that his allegiance to MOMMY will cease and he will realize all the years that the Princess has been catered to is bull crap!

Considering that HA had been ill, wondered if he would at least try and fall on the sword to benefit everyone.
Assuming he is the one with very deep pockets, that certainly would be a win, windi for the family.
speculation, imo.

Considering that HA had been ill, wondered if he would at least try and fall on the sword to benefit everyone.
Assuming he is the one with very deep pockets, that certainly would be a win, windi for the family.
speculation, imo.

The evidence is clearly stacked against that, though. Even if he copped to all of it, KM's testimony would refute it.

Anyone have a clue when KM's next court appearance is?

On the day of the murder WCTV and someone else (possibly Tallahassee Democrat) posted on FaceBook that "something" had happened on Trescott Road and that the road was blocked off. I would need to scroll back a few years to look for the exact time. That may take a little while to do on a work day, but I will check it. I know it was posted well before 1 pm that day, because I saw it myself. I can't remember if the second outlet was the Democrat or a private neighborhood Facebook page. That may be how Wendi FIRST got verification that an event had taken place. I personally think this event was one she was "expecting" prior to "possibly" reading any FB notification about Dan's street being closed. I have specific reasons for thinking she knew ahead of time what was going to happen to Dan, but I think her knowing it was done watching s actually found out via social media. I think there was also a report that a friend had called her to tell her about something on Dan's street, prior to her walking into the TPD interview.

Doubt it. Based on the evidence we've seen so far, they weren't exactly using technology to their benefit. More likely, I think WA contacted Charlie when she saw the roads were closed.

The evidence is clearly stacked against that, though. Even if he copped to all of it, KM's testimony would refute it.

Exactly. KM clearly has evidence against Charlie and Donna. No one is going to be able to credibly testify that those two were innocent.

On the day of the murder WCTV and someone else (possibly Tallahassee Democrat) posted on FaceBook that "something" had happened on Trescott Road and that the road was blocked off. I would need to scroll back a few years to look for the exact time. That may take a little while to do on a work day, but I will check it. I know it was posted well before 1 pm that day, because I saw it myself. I can't remember if the second outlet was the Democrat or a private neighborhood Facebook page. That may be how Wendi FIRST got verification that an event had taken place. I personally think this event was one she was "expecting" prior to "possibly" reading any FB notification about Dan's street being closed. I have specific reasons for thinking she knew ahead of time what was going to happen to Dan, but I think her knowing it was done watching s actually found out via social media. I think there was also a report that a friend had called her to tell her about something on Dan's street, prior to her walking into the TPD interview.

So, if she theoretically heard about it on social media or the news, wouldn't her logical first contact (via phone call or text) be to her ex-husband to ask if he knew anything about it? Did that happen?

I just went back to WCTV and Tallahassee Democrat FB posts for the day of the murder. Both sites definitely posted about a shooting, but the time is no longer shown for the posts. It just has the dates of the article. The same with the comments. July 18th, 2014, but no times listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear