Teen dies of blood poisoning after Lip Piercing

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A teenage boy died of blood poisoning after getting his lip pierced, an inquest was told yesterday.

Daniel Hindle, 17, an A-level student from Richmond, Sheffield, had a ring put through his lip and his girlfriend had her eyebrow pierced.

His mother, Christine Anderson, broke down in the witness box as she told the inquest in Sheffield that the first she knew about the piercing was when her son walked through the door.

"My first reaction was shock. 'Eurgh,' I thought. I suppose it's a normal motherly reaction."

Mrs Anderson said she called a doctor when he developed a fever nearly two weeks later. The locum took two minutes to examine Daniel, before prescribing medicine for an upset stomach.

Two days later Daniel started hallucinating and was rushed to hospital. Mrs Anderson said her son had been born with a weak heart but was living a normal life.

She said she had talked to a doctor at the Northern General Hospital and added: "I thought it was something to do with his heart, but he told me Daniel had septicaemia.

Story

I am really surprised this doesn't happen more often. I see many infected piercings in my students, not to mention terrible overall hygiene, including their teeth. A heart condition can make these things lethal.

Eve

I want to know how a 17 year old got their lip pierced in the first place? Where do these people live? I waited til I was 18 to get my tongue pierced (and a year later I took it out cause I think I only wanted it to shock my mom...lol) and I was 19 and 20 when I got tattoos. I can see if they make an informed decision and go to a reputable place but from the way the story sounded, he just went out and got it done w/o his mom's permission. It makes me mad that places don't check the ages of the people they're piercing. :furious: I feel bad for what he went through, and especially for what his mom had to go through but he asked for it.

This is similar to another story I remembered where a 13 y/o girl died of an infection when she got her belly button pierce. I believe in that case they charged the mother with neglect because she didn't take her daughter to the hospital. Maybe I'm getting old, but why would anyone want body piercings?

Casshew said:
A teenage boy died of blood poisoning after getting his lip pierced, an inquest was told yesterday.

Daniel Hindle, 17, an A-level student from Richmond, Sheffield, had a ring put through his lip and his girlfriend had her eyebrow pierced.

His mother, Christine Anderson, broke down in the witness box as she told the inquest in Sheffield that the first she knew about the piercing was when her son walked through the door.

"My first reaction was shock. 'Eurgh,' I thought. I suppose it's a normal motherly reaction."

Mrs Anderson said she called a doctor when he developed a fever nearly two weeks later. The locum took two minutes to examine Daniel, before prescribing medicine for an upset stomach.

Two days later Daniel started hallucinating and was rushed to hospital. Mrs Anderson said her son had been born with a weak heart but was living a normal life.

She said she had talked to a doctor at the Northern General Hospital and added: "I thought it was something to do with his heart, but he told me Daniel had septicaemia.

Story
If you're going to get something like this done, it's up to you to keep it clean and free from infection. Which is asking a lot, given the state of most teenagers' rooms.

it kind reminds me of somthing that happened here recently . a guy went to get a tattoo done and in the middle of it he felt hungry and got up to get a fast food lunch he had brought with him.all of a sudden he fainted and fell on a glass display case the glass broke and he got cut in the neck .it hit an arterie and he died right there.real tragic

PlasmaFiend024 said:
it kind reminds me of somthing that happened here recently . a guy went to get a tattoo done and in the middle of it he felt hungry and got up to get a fast food lunch he had brought with him.all of a sudden he fainted and fell on a glass display case the glass broke and he got cut in the neck .it hit an arterie and he died right there.real tragic
Yeah, we had that story on the bizarre news forum - totally wild to go for a tattoo and end up dead.

yeah you wouldnt figure dude im gonna get a tat toady and die in the middle of it.bizzare indeed my freind

PlasmaFiend024 said:
yeah you wouldnt figure dude im gonna get a tat toady and die in the middle of it.bizzare indeed my freind
Well, there's no accounting for stupidity.
You bleed a lot during a tattoo, and your body compensates for the pain with endorphines, etc. (I've been tattooed 7 times) Getting up in the midddle of a session (depending on the size) isn't recommended, since you can faint from teh change on blood pressure, etc. It makes as much sense as getting up and walking around while giving blood. That's why most tattoo artists tell you not to come in hungry or drunk, and to make sure you're well hydrated before & during & after the proceedure.

I went with both of my daughters to sign for them to get piercings at ages 16 and 17 the oldest has since gotten two tattoos (small) she's 23 and she knows I wouldn't agree to the tattoos now or then but to me the most important part is that they make me aware of these things and I can observe and advise as well as watch for problems. Birth control and the risks sometimes associated with them is another concern for parents that aren't always informed by teens and young adults that could prevent hazards if the parents were aware.

At one time my niece ended up in the hospital with blood poisoning possibly from a cut between her toes from a pair of flip flops. A co-worker of mine had gotten a tattoo on her ankle and was complaining about pain so by the next day I noticed the skin around it had gotten very red and a straight red line ran up her leg, I made her leave work and have a friend take her to the hospital and she did indeed have blood poisoning. In both instances it was because my mother had passed on to us info of this nature all of our lives.

OMG OMG OMG.............THIS IS EXACTLY why we have months long conversations.... my daughter has a lip piercings among others but I refuse to ever let her get a tongue piercing as some teens have had partial tongue removed from such severe infections, it could have killed them.... but now this????? Oh god. and she even had a friend pierce her upper ear one time.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Teens, have they no brains??? I need to take this to my daughter and talk further. I was so mad when she did the "self piercing" with her friend. I take her to a very reputable clean sterile business in town... because I KNEW if I didn't, she would do it anyway.

Kids. :( :( Good lord. They think they're invincible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back