Mother, child, 4, killed in mysterious accident

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Mother, child, 4, killed in accident
Cause and time of one-car accident remain unknown

39-year-old woman and her

4-year-old son died Tuesday morning after a mysterious crash in which the vehicle they were in slammed into an oak tree, troopers said.

Investigators did not know what time the accident occurred and were asking for the public's help in getting more information on the crash near the roadway leading to Haile Middle School on State Road 64, according to a Florida Highway Patrol news release.

When troopers arrived at the scene of the accident just after 7:30 a.m., they found Greyhawk Landings resident Laurinda E. Vajdik lying almost 35 feet away from her green Ford sport utility vehicle, said FHP Sgt. Norm Parks on Tuesday evening. Her son Jaret was found in the SUV.

"We don't know exactly what caused the driver to run off the road," Parks said. "But for some reason or the other, she veered off to the right and went off the roadway and struck the pedestrian crosswalk signal. She really lost control then."

More: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/13117715.htm

Hmmm.....I wonder where she was going, or coming from. Sounds like a horrible crash, bad enough to rip the seat belt totally out! :eek:

How sad ...

I wonder if she swerved to avoid hitting a deer? I don't know anything about that area of Florida, but here in VA, it's rut season and the deer are EVERYWHERE. I've already had a few close calls this past month.

From the article:

"It could have probably happened between 1:30 a.m. to 7:20 a.m. or whenever they were found," Parks said. "We know that it was a while, (the vehicle) had time to cool off. That took at least an hour, maybe even more."

Does anyone here think that being out during those hours with a young child is peculiar?

IdahoMom said:
From the article:

"It could have probably happened between 1:30 a.m. to 7:20 a.m. or whenever they were found," Parks said. "We know that it was a while, (the vehicle) had time to cool off. That took at least an hour, maybe even more."

Does anyone here think that being out during those hours with a young child is peculiar?

I didn't find that peculiar. When my son was little and would be sick, sometimes he'd have a hard time falling asleep. Many times I put him in the car and drove around at all hours of the night. Sometimes it was the ONLY thing that worked.

Jules said:
I didn't find that peculiar. When my son was little and would be sick, sometimes he'd have a hard time falling asleep. Many times I put him in the car and drove around at all hours of the night. Sometimes it was the ONLY thing that worked.
Ok. That makes sense. :angel:

IdahoMom said:
Ok. That makes sense. :angel:

Those were rough times... I'd be soooo tired too. I wonder if that is what happened here? Perhaps the same scenario and she fell asleep at the wheel. :confused:

Jules said:
Those were rough times... I'd be soooo tired too. I wonder if that is what happened here? Perhaps the same scenario and she fell asleep at the wheel. :confused:
I was wondering about falling asleep at the wheel, too. The article makes no mention of skid marks.

Oh, very, very sad :( maybe she fell asleep at the wheel, or an animal ran in front of the car -like a cat or dog.

Casshew said:
Oh, very, very sad :( maybe she fell asleep at the wheel, or an animal ran in front of the car -like a cat or dog.

I almost killed myself driving to work one day because I left the top down the night before in the garage and a spider crawled in my car and popped out while I was doing 70. Don't do that no more, but that's what I thought too, something caught her off guard.

Jeana! not that trarantula in the paper bag? :crazy:

Jeana (DP) said:
I almost killed myself driving to work one day because I left the top down the night before in the garage and a spider crawled in my car and popped out while I was doing 70. Don't do that no more, but that's what I thought too, something caught her off guard.

This has also happened to me! Pretty pathetic aint it!

The 7:20 am time frame could indicate she was dropping her child off for daycare or pre-school before going to work which should be easy to check.

With the condition of the wrecked vehicle I wonder if they can determine if it was a mechanical malfunction that caused the accident. I once was driving on the highway and my car lost power steering. Thankfully the road was straight. And there's nothing scarier than hitting your brakes, and there ARE none. That time the brake fluid line split.

My neighbor who had a farm decided to let loose several hundred rats.
So one day I am driving the kids to school and what do you think crawled out from under the driver seat??
Thankfully I was on a side street and managed to stop. It did take me a few before I could put my feet back on the floor to drive.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/13126771.htm

On Wednesday, a caller told traffic homicide investigators he drove past the crushed SUV at 4 a.m. on the day of the crash, but did not report it to authorities because he thought it was an old wreck, Parks said.

"He thought that the crash was investigated, but hadn't been towed in," Parks said Wednesday. "He said it looked like the fire department came and cut off the top of the vehicle."

The crash remained under investigation, said Parks, who heads the local traffic homicide investigation team.

IdahoMom said:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/13126771.htm

On Wednesday, a caller told traffic homicide investigators he drove past the crushed SUV at 4 a.m. on the day of the crash, but did not report it to authorities because he thought it was an old wreck, Parks said.

"He thought that the crash was investigated, but hadn't been towed in," Parks said Wednesday. "He said it looked like the fire department came and cut off the top of the vehicle."

The crash remained under investigation, said Parks, who heads the local traffic homicide investigation team.

I have never heard of a crash scene just being "left" In our state, a crash scene is always cleaned up, Never just left. 4 a.m. ... , if that is true, what was she doing? I do not know of many 4 year olds that still need to be driven around in a car to fall asleep. The only reason that I can think that she would be on the road at that time would be heading to a emergency room or walk in clinic with a sick child, or heading to a hospital for a sick or injured realative. In any case, you would think she would have left a note, or phoned her husband at work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back