911 Operator Accused of Hanging Up on Thousands

"Williams reportedly told investigators she often hangs up on callers because she didn't feel like talking with anyone at the time."

You've got to be kidding.:facepalm:

I'm shocked it was allowed to continue for so long.

I'm shocked that the only thing she's being charged with is "interference of emergency telephone calls." Surely there's something else they could slap on there? This woman potentially endangered thousands of lives because she didn't feel like talking. Why the hell did she take a job as a 911 dispatcher then? :banghead:

Buster Pendley says Williams hung up on him in the early morning hours of March 1 when his wife collapsed and lost consciousness after a blood clot moved to her lungs.

[...]

In one case, Williams allegedly hung up on Hua Li, an engineer who called to report a robbery in progress on March 12.

[...]

Police said that Williams was the 911 operator, and that she terminated the call within a few seconds.

Li called a second time and got a different operator. By the time police arrived, however, the store manager had been shot and killed.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9...rges-after-admitting-to-hanging-up-on-callers

Buster Pendley says Williams hung up on him in the early morning hours of March 1 when his wife collapsed and lost consciousness after a blood clot moved to her lungs.

[...]

In one case, Williams allegedly hung up on Hua Li, an engineer who called to report a robbery in progress on March 12.

[...]

Police said that Williams was the 911 operator, and that she terminated the call within a few seconds.

Li called a second time and got a different operator. By the time police arrived, however, the store manager had been shot and killed.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9...rges-after-admitting-to-hanging-up-on-callers

BBM. She could be held responsible for that store manager's death in some way, right?

If not criminally then there could be one heck of a potential civil suit looming IMO. Possibly by the dead shop manager's family against the municipality that controls the 911 call center and this woman individually. The hard part of such a case I would think would be proving that her purposeful drop of that call resulted in the manager's death. How does one prove what could have been had things been handled properly?

Maybe one of our verified attorneys will weigh in on the matter.

Un freaking believable. My god what a disgusting person.

Agreed about a potential law suit. And aren't these calls monitored on a continuous basis ?
So how much time had passed while no action was taken ?

I'm sorry to say I'm putting my money on NOTHING will be done to her and the county, state or whatever will have to pay to settle the claims. Her employer IS responsible for not monitoring her work. I would think the supervisor would be listening to every person at least weekly. You would also think the other operators around her would have overheard what was happening on her calls.
Maybe the whole office had a lax work ethic.
MOO only

Un freaking believable. My god what a disgusting person.

Agreed about a potential law suit. And aren't these calls monitored on a continuous basis ?
So how much time had passed while no action was taken ?

Williams had been employed as a telecommunicator with the Houston Emergency Center since July 2014

[...]

Supervisors investigated the recorded call logs, and found that thousands of calls had been disconnected by Williams between Oct. 2015 and March 2016.

http://ktla.com/2016/10/13/911-oper...-up-on-callers-aint-nobody-got-time-for-this/

I'm shocked that you all are shocked. I talk to incompetent people on the phone all the time. Usually I can predict after the first few words spoken.

Some disappointing posts have been removed. If yours was one and you genuinely do not know why, please feel free to message me for an explanation.

tlcya

I'm shocked it was allowed to continue for so long.

She'd better be glad it wasn't a kidnap victim who couldn't be heard talking to anyone (for safety), or a child hiding in the closet afraid to speak but needing immediate rescue from a burglary, or a million other scenario's!

This woman is a piece of work as well as dangerous and a huge liability to have the position as a 911 dispatcher. Apparently she slept during her training.

We know at least one person died due to her stupidity. That delay in the correct action being taken in the burglary in progress is the one I am referring to. How many others were there that we do not know about?

JMO

I posted a much longer version of this on the Sword & Scale podcast site, and it bears repeating: for all of the thousands of competent, engaged and passionate dispatchers who give each call 100%, there is someone like this who personifies dereliction of duty. We are all human, we're all fallible, but when you're on the other end of that call, you represent sanity. This is a prime example of why some communities feel like first responders don't care about them. Maybe they aren't even getting the *message* to help because of dispatchers like this woman.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't understand why she would even apply for this job in the first place if she truly didn't care about what's going on at the other end of the phone? There's no way I could do that job. Every call would give me a heart attack!

I don't understand why she would even apply for this job in the first place if she truly didn't care about what's going on at the other end of the phone? There's no way I could do that job. Every call would give me a heart attack!

It sounds like at first she wasn't doing this, considering she started working there in 2014 but say she started disconnecting calls in 2015?
Where were her supervisors? Nobody noticed she was doing this for months?

The strange thing to me is with all the things that people complain about in this day and age of Yelp why is it that she didn’t have hundreds of complaints against her? The sadder thought is people did complain but no one took any action.

I'm shocked that you all are shocked. I talk to incompetent people on the phone all the time. Usually I can predict after the first few words spoken.
I expect a higher level of competence from a 911 operator than, say, the person who answers the phone at Walmart. I'd hardly compare an emergency operator to anyone else I call for business purposes.

Do you speak with incompetent 911 operators all the time?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back