Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize for Literature

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
I wonder what took so long? In any case, congratulations to him, no one more deserving, imo.

How does it feel? Bob Dylan wins Nobel in literature

Associated Press 7:13 a.m. EDT October 13, 2016

Stockholm — Bob Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature Thursday for expanding the poetic possibilities of music with a body of work that includes “Like a Rolling Stone,” “Blowin’ in the Wind” and “Mr. Tambourine Man” — a stunning announcement that marked the first time the prestigious award was given to a musician.

Reporters and others who had gathered at the Swedish Academy’s headquarters reacted with a loud cheer as the name of the singer and songwriter was read out.

Dylan, 75, is widely regarded as the most influential poet-musician of his generation...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2016/10/13/nobel-prize-literature/91986006/

Like many others, I liked a lot of his songs at the time.

But the Nobel Prize for literature? Come on!

I was riding on a train in Switzerland, perusing google news on my iPad, when I saw this astounding news. My hubby was seated a few seats away in the crowded train, so I held up my iPad and whispered the news to him. He said, in a non-whisper, "Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize??!!" The whole train chuckled, clapped, and we all spontaneously sang a few lines of Blowin' in the Wind. It was a sweet moment shared by citizens of several nations.

I'm not of Dylan's generation, although my dad is a fan :)

I was just wondering who out of my generation could be counted as a storyteller, a poet, even without the music. Honestly, Springsteen is the one who came to mind. I can see a movie in almost every one of his songs. Not sure I'd give him a Nobel for it, mind.

I was so happy to hear this news! Dylan is a brilliant lyricist and this award is very much deserved.

I bought my first Dylan album in 1963 as a senior in high school..."Freewheelin' Bob Dylan." At first, I wasn't sure I liked it, but it grew on me and I bought his first album and all the rest through the '60's. His music came with me through college protests and into marriage 50 years ago.

As a folkie, I was NOT happy when he went electric. I even wrote a term paper on his transition to rock for a Popular Culture class (I wish I had kept it). :) But I came around. The last album of Dylan's I bought was "Nashville Skyline" in 1969. That's an album I would choose to take with me to a desert island (along with Paul Simon's "Graceland")...happy music. For some reason, I didn't follow Dylan into the '70's and beyond...I don't know why exactly...maybe too busy having a baby and going back to the land. So I have no idea what gems he has produced since then, except for "Forever Young" which could be an anthem for my aging generation! But the songs he wrote in the '60's that were the soundtrack of my youth are memorable and beloved.

Congratulations Bob! :congrats:

Dylan's songs were part of an era of unrest in this country. Everyone wanted answers, no one had any. We were a nation divided looking for comfort. His lyrics came from that unrest and that heightened need for healing. Nobel Prize for literature awarded for this man who wrote lyrics with meaning for for the time, with intent to comfort and bring people together in song? You bet!

Nobel Prize has stopped knock, knock, knocking on Bob Dylan's door
Dylan has yet to RSVP to Nobel ceremony

By LISA RESPERS FRANCE , CNN

Posted: 8:31 AM, October 18, 2016
Updated: 8:49 AM, October 18, 2016

(CNN) - Bob Dylan, the Swedish Academy just wants to make you feel their love.

Days after he was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition" the Academy said it's given up on trying to reach the iconic musician.

"We have stopped trying -- we said everything we needed to his manager and friend, he knows about us being eager having confirmation from him, but we haven't heard anything back," Odd Zschiedrich, the administrative director of the Swedish Academy, told CNN on Tuesday.

He said they have been in touch with Bob Dylan's management but have not heard back from the singer-songwriter himself...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...opped-knock-knock-knocking-on-bob-dylans-door

Oct 17 2016, 10:58 pm ET

Nobel Academy Says It Can't Find Bob Dylan to Give Him His Prize

by Tim Stelloh

Bob Dylan, Nobel laureate, is missing.

That, at least, is what the academy that honored him with the most prestigious literature prize on the planet last week told Sweden's state-run radio SR on Monday.

The academy's permanent secretary, Sara Danius, said she had emailed and called Dylan's "closest collaborator" to ensure he gets his hefty award of $927,740, according to a translation published in The Guardian...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/awards/nobel-academy-says-it-can-t-find-bob-dylan-give-n667996

Bob Dylan songs that changed the course of history (an incomplete list)

"To be fair, there are quite a few songwriters whose work is still relevant, but here's only one - Dylan -- whose poetry has, at times, changed the course of history."

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, but this is a list that includes some of my favorite youthful anthems. And there are so many more.

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/entertainment/dylan-songs-history-trnd/index.html[/video]

Oct 21 2016, 9:44 am ET

Bob Dylan's Website Scrubs Mention of Winning Nobel Prize in Literature

by Erik Ortiz

Bob Dylan recently added Nobel Prize laureate to his list of accomplishments — but fans of the famously elusive singer-songwriter wouldn't know it by looking at his official website.

BobDylan.com has quietly scrubbed the one mention of him as the "winner of the Nobel Prize in literature" in "the lyrics" section of the site following his surprise win last week...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ention-winning-nobel-prize-literature-n670601

Oct 22 2016, 11:22 am ET

Nobel Academy Member Calls Bob Dylan's Silence After Prize Win 'Arrogant'

by The Associated Press

STOCKHOLM — A member of the Swedish Academy that awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature to Bob Dylan says the U.S. singer-songwriter's silence since receiving the honor is "impolite and arrogant."

Per Wastberg said Dylan's lack of reaction was predictable but disrespectful nonetheless. He was quoted telling the Swedish newspaper Dagens Myheter in Saturday's edition: "One can say that it is impolite and arrogant. He is who he is." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...calls-bob-dylan-s-silence-after-prize-n671166

Oct 22 2016, 11:22 am ET

Nobel Academy Member Calls Bob Dylan's Silence After Prize Win 'Arrogant'

by The Associated Press

STOCKHOLM — A member of the Swedish Academy that awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature to Bob Dylan says the U.S. singer-songwriter's silence since receiving the honor is "impolite and arrogant."

Per Wastberg said Dylan's lack of reaction was predictable but disrespectful nonetheless. He was quoted telling the Swedish newspaper Dagens Myheter in Saturday's edition: " can say that it is impolite and arrogant. He is who he is." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...calls-bob-dylan-s-silence-after-prize-n671166

Well that statement certainly guarantees that Dylan will never contact them! Yes it is disrespectful of Dylan not to acknowledge the award, but since it was predictable I'm not sure what grounds for complaint they have. Brilliant people often don't subscribe to social norms. If they wanted a different reaction they could have given the award to someone else. I would say it's also impolite and arrogant of Per Wastberg to make this statement about Dylan. You catch more flies with honey...and all that.

I hope Dylan makes contact to let them know whether he wants the award or not. For all we know, he feels that he doesn't deserve it and is embarrassed about receiving it. JMO

Winning the Nobel prize left Dylan "speechless" he says. He "absolutely" plans to attend the ceremony "if it's is at all possible."

And as he talks, he starts to sound pretty pleased about becoming a Nobel laureate. “It’s hard to believe,” he muses. His name has been mentioned as on the shortlist for a number of years, but the announcement was certainly not expected. When he was first told, it was, Dylan confides, “amazing, incredible. Whoever dreams about something like that?”

Asked about his silence, not answering calls from the Nobel committee...

“Well, I’m right here,” he says playfully, as if it was simply a matter of them dialling his number, but he offers no further explanation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-...dylan---ill-be-at-the-nobel-prize-ceremony-i/

Love Bob Dylan, he's always been aloof, but I am glad that he has finally commented. His writing is poetry in song imho and he deserves this honor.

Oct 29 2016, 1:10 am ET

Bob Dylan Breaks His Silence After Winning Nobel Prize in Literature

by Jillian Sederholm

The answer to whether Bob Dylan is happy about being a Nobel laureate is no longer blowin' in the wind.

"I appreciate the honor so much," the legendary musician told Sara Danius, Permanent Secretary of the Swedish Academy, in a phone call this week, the Nobel Foundation said in a statement Friday...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...e-literature-n674961?cid=par-xfinity_20161029

Love Bob Dylan, he's always been aloof, but I am glad that he has finally commented. His writing is poetry in song imho and he deserves this honor.
BBM

I agree. So many of his songs could stand alone as poetry without ever being sung. It certainly wasn't Dylan's voice that grabbed a generation's hearts and minds! It was his words. But I'd still rather listen to him sing "Farewell Angelina" (or anything else he wrote) than Joan Baez (who put out a whole album of Dylan covers, IIRC) or anyone else. I think Joan is great, but no one sings Dylan like Dylan. Just as no one can recite a Robert Frost poem better than he could...he wrote it. So as a poet, I think Dylan definitely deserved the Nobel prize for literature. I'm glad he's happy about it.
JMO

This article linked below samples some of Dylan's greatest lyrics. The commenters keep it going, interspersed with a few curmudgeons who say Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell should have won. They have both written amazing lyrics. But for his overall body of work and his influence on a couple of generations...Dylan deserves this award IMO.

A few of my favorites...

Mr Tambourine Man

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Times They Are a-Changin’

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside
And it is ragin’
It’ll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin’.

My Back Pages

Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now.

One Too Many Mornings

We're both just one too many mornings
An' a thousand miles behind.

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
When your gravity fails
And negativity won't pull you through

Forever Young

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the trjfh
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

And SO many more.

Enjoy...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/13/are-these-the-lyrics-that-won-bob-dylan-a-nobel-prize

Lyrics above from http://www.azlyrics.com/d/dylan.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wafficer
Back