999 users online (221 members and 778 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

interestng info

Quote Originally Posted by othermother
    The car he was driving at the time his wife went missing was a 59 as well. A Studebaker Golden Hawk.
    Thanks for the info. Thats too much coincidence for me to consider it unrelated.
    I wonder what the odds are against it happening that way with the main suspect in one disappearance/murder drives a 1959 car and his victem drives the same year car and another murder victem also drove the same year car although not the same brand of cars?

I think more attention needs to be paid to where the cars were bought and who worked there and also if our main suspect either was known to hang out there or to have worked there at any time. I wonder if all the cars could have been bought at the same dealership. Sometimes used cars of other brands were sold at dealerships as well as new cars of the dealership brand.

It is not necessary to prove he knew the other woman, just that he could have known her because of having worked where she bought her car or hung out with someone who worked where she bought her car.

Or maybe he was just attracted to any car made in 1959 for some as yet unexplained reason. With his wife having one 1959 car and him owning another of that 1959 year it says to me he had a preference for the year.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    - Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden, 23, Missing 2 April 1965 from Highland City, FL
    Her car was the 1959 green Chevrolet, which is still missing.

- Mary Margaret Cook Missing since November 14, 1970 from Highland City, FL
    Her car was the 1959 white Cadillac, which was found.

These two women were missing in separate incidents five years apart, but from the same neighborhood.
    Thank you. The reason I questioned a possible misprint is that obviously L.E. has considered a possible link between the two cases. I saw that when reading the doenet account and the charley project account and I realized that if one case had a 1959 car and someone had to write up 2 cases that were thought to be related then maybe info leaked from one cases notes to the others writeup. I did not think it happened that way but needed to rule it out. I see now that was not what happened.

getting sleepy

Sometimes people stick to what they know. For example. terrorists generally blow things up. Its what they have the most resources and training to do. A killer that runs a junk yard or works in one (Avery?) may try to hide a body there or use the grounds to dispose of a body. Someone like Scott Peterson might have a boat and so would likely use it if he needed to hide a body.

A certain sports figure was once charged in a case that was never proven but the murder had been carried out with the split second timing of a sports play in a game that was down to the 2 minute warning.

If I was looking for where this suspect might have hidden a body I might consider that someone who likes old cars and fixing them up might need to have contact with junkyards to find parts for them and might know someone that would let him get rid of a car and/or a body. I am not certain the victems body could be found this many years later if it was in a car that got crushed and shipped off to be melted down.

Just thinking out loud some more.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    Sometimes people stick to what they know. For example. terrorists generally blow things up. Its what they have the most resources and training to do. A killer that runs a junk yard or works in one (Avery?) may try to hide a body there or use the grounds to dispose of a body. Someone like Scott Peterson might have a boat and so would likely use it if he needed to hide a body.

A certain sports figure was once charged in a case that was never proven but the murder had been carried out with the split second timing of a sports play in a game that was down to the 2 minute warning.

If I was looking for where this suspect might have hidden a body I might consider that someone who likes old cars and fixing them up might need to have contact with junkyards to find parts for them and might know someone that would let him get rid of a car and/or a body. I am not certain the victems body could be found this many years later if it was in a car that got crushed and shipped off to be melted down.

Just thinking out loud some more.
    He may have been instrumental in helping these women get their cars. Perhaps he had a friend that sold cars. He may have given these women the cars. having a 59 and the 2 women having 59's brings up the possibilty he chose the cars.
    Hwy 98 is a long long hwy that covers much wooded areas. Lots of access to old dumping grounds and water. Could have dumped the car or a body in a pond or clay pit. I have swam in clay pits and saw old cars in them. You cannot see the cars from the top of the water because the water has a silty look. I was trying to see how deep the clay pit was and could not see the cars until I was almost touching them.
    Also back then my mother said she knew of a ring that used to steal cars from Alabama and sell them here in FL. ( We are not in the Highland area. Just meant he may have contacts that could have sold a car without a title)
    Perhaps when Peggy's car broke down and he could not fix it she complained he sold her a lemon and wanted to sue. If he sold her a stolen car he would not want her to sue. Motive for murder?

Comparing Margaret and Peggy...

There are some similarities which are quite apparent between these two cases. The name Peggy is a derivitive of the name Margaret. Both women were from the same town, and they were about the same age at death (23 and 25). Both were driving 1959 cars made by General Motors, and both were away from home a short distance when they were last seen.

Five years went by between these two cases. Could there have been other attempted abductions, assults, or even murders between them? It may be another case which links and solves one or the other of these two.

why were they killed?

There are some similarities which are quite apparent between these two cases. The name Peggy is a derivitive of the name Margaret. Both women were from the same town, and they were about the same age at death (23 and 25). Both were driving 1959 cars made by General Motors, and both were away from home a short distance when they were last seen.

Five years went by between these two cases. Could there have been other attempted abductions, assults, or even murders between them? It may be another case which links and solves one or the other of these two.
    Very possible. But what if he was not someone that repeatedly killed just to kill. What if only when he really needed a car part, money, or needed full undisputed control over the household money?

The car from the first victem was taken if I remember right and never found. I wonder if it was traded for help in disposing of the body or if the car was taken because certain 1959 parts were needed or money was needed from selling such a car or its parts. . . . perhaps even parts that could be used on other model cars as well as the one it came from. The second murder could have been more about his spending money, perhaps on someone else and she found out and they argued. The second victem's car was already his so no need to hide or dispose of that one for help or for parts . . . .but what became of the wife's 1959 car after she disappeared?

More Similarities

Both had brown hair and blue eyes. Both were last seen on 98. Margaret at a gas station, Peggy at the Chatterbox.

D

Bumping this case up.

Remembering Peggy

April 2 will be the 42nd anniversary of Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden and her car disappearing, in what must have been almost daylight. Someone somewhere knows something. One would think that a car would be found...however back then a car could also disappear in that part of the state.... famous for the seemingly bottomless sinkholes from the phosphate mining in the area.

Photo of Peggy

The following information is from a flyer posted on the Polk County Sheriffs Office website. Click on the link below for a very good photo of Peggy.

----------------------------------------
    Missing

Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden
    Date of Birth: 07/01/41
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 120 lbs.
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Blue

Circumstances:

On April 2, 1965, between 6 and 7 p.m., Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden, left her Third Street, Highland City, Fla., residence enroute to the Chatterbox Bar. The bar was formerly located on the site where the Polk County Parkway intersects with U.S. Highway 98 South, near Eaton Park.

Ms. Byars-Baisden was driving a light green 1959 2-door Chevy Coupe with license tag 5W-21118. A witness at that time, saw the woman in the parking lot of the bar with car trouble.
    There was an unknown white/male assisting her. No one has heard from or seen the woman since.

Anyone with information on the location of Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden is asked to contact the Polk County Sheriff's Office at 863 533-0344 or 1 800 226-0344.

Source Information:
    Missing: Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden

LINK:
    http://www.polksheriff.org/missing/byars.html

Updated Doenet Link...

Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden
    Missing since April 2, 1965 from Highland City, Polk County, Florida.
    Classification: Involuntary

Vital Sta
    tistics
    Date Of Birth: July 1, 1941
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 120 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes

Circumstances of Disappearance

Byars-Baisden left her home in Highland City, FL between 6:00 - 7:00 PM on April 2, 1965. She was headed to The Chatterbox Bar, which was located where the Polk County Parkway intersects with Highway 98 south near Eaton Park.

Byars-Baisden was driving a 1959 light green two-door Chevrolet coupe with Florida license plates number 5W-21118. A witness observed Byars-Baisden in The Chatterbox Bar's parking lot with an unidentified Caucasian male. Her car was apparently having mechanical problems and the man was assisting her.

Byars-Baisden's vehicle was never found. Her family reported her missing the day after she was seen.

Byars-Baisden was divorced with two children when she disappeared. She worked as a waitress while raising her children. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Polk County Sheriff's Office 863-533-0344 OR 800-226-0344

E-Mail: missingperson@polksheriff.org

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Source Information:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
    The Ledger
    The Doe Network: Case File 84DFFL

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/84dffl.html

How did Earl make his living? I know he worked on cars at home, but what kind of paying job did he have?

Earl Cook

Was a painter by trade. He traveled a lot.

Was the Chevy Coupe a Biscayne, an Impala? I do not know much about cars, but is there a way to find out? Also what about a picture of the car or a VIN number for those of us who attend car auctions?

Peggy's car...

Quote Originally Posted by froggierintexas View Post
    Was the Chevy Coupe a Biscayne, an Impala? I do not know much about cars, but is there a way to find out? Also what about a picture of the car or a VIN number for those of us who attend car auctions?
    The Impala was slightly more expensive and fancy than the Biscayne, but they were both built on the same frame and looked very much alike, aside from chrome and extras.

The term "coupe" in 1959 and later was used by General Motors to refer to the two door version of a car - as opposed to a Four Door "Sedan".

I do not know if any photos of the actual car exist. Police probably have the VIN somewhere in the records, since they have the tag number.

For an idea of what her car looked like, here is a link to a 1959 Print Advertisement for a Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe.

LINK:
    http://www.adclassix.com/ads/59chevroletimpala.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast