1535 users online (304 members and 1231 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    bumping case up. It has now passed the 42nd anniversary of her disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    It may be a week or two before I can get the time to go and do this research...I will post what I find.

It also may take a few trips.
    I am horrible! I forgot all about this one! I have been so busy working on more recent cases! Please forgive me.

I am horrible! I forgot all about this one! I have been so busy working on more recent cases! Please forgive me.
    I was going to post here and ask if you had ever found anything. I figured you were busy though and, of course, you would have posted something had you found it! There are a TON of articles on this case too so it would take a lot of time to research it.

You're forgiven! LOL!
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

GA-Missing since 1965-Mary Shotwell Little-leaves behind tons of clues

I stumbled across this case a few months ago and have become fascinated with it. Married only a few weeks Little dissappears, her car is located in an afluent part of town covered with dirt, her underwear found folded in the front seat spotted with her blood, her blood also found in the car, her credit cards used hours later in her hometown, her signature verifed and her idenity verified by the store clerk saying she was with a man who seemed to be giving her orders, had a nasty cut on her forehead, acted scared - tried to hide her face, spotted again with two men and the witness also said she had blood on her face and legs, her co-workers reveal she had been getting troubling phone calls at work and someone had anonomously sent her flowers.
    Her abductor(s) were brazen to parade her around like that covered with blood. Also, the police believe her car was parked in the lot during the daylight by her abductors.

Here are some links with lots more information:

http://www.buckhead.net/history/mystery/msl_a.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1102670/posts

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/little_mary.html

There's quite a bit of info on here:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...hotwell+little

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Excellent - thank you! I figured it must be on here somewhere. I am surprised it is not a longer thread consider the nature of the crime and all of the evidence found in the car, the sightings, etc. It is very intriguing.

I would love to this the interest in this case revived. There is just so much information, coincidences, clues,etc. The murder of Diane and the fact that both Diane and Mary's police files turn up missing, the strange phone call one of her previous roommates recieved - 'Your Wife Will Be Next.', Mary's mother requesting the investigation be called off after only two years, the woman who came forward and told of being followed that same night in the same parking lot and failed to fall for the 'your back tire is low' trick and quickly drove off - was this Mary's killer? Was it just a random act of opportunity?
    If her body was dumped somewhere in 1965 because of surburban sprawl a lot of that open space, forests, etc were cleared for new houses, shopping malls etc and her remains were not found - perhaps they now lay under feet of concrete at the base of a building. I've thought about that alot - the act of dumping bodies in wooded or desolate areas and the chances of them being excavated as a result of construction. You would think it would happen more often than it does.

Nothing new to report, but I found an article written just a year ago on Mary. It's the latest article I could find when doing a search to see if anything new has been written in the last couple years. Here's the link.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2007/07/07/...otwell-little/
    Last edited by MaryLiz; 07-12-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Including link

www.findbrianshaffer.com

please edit your post above to show just a small part or most important part of article, we do not allow posting of entire articles, copyright reasons. Also, you need to give a link where you found it. TIA

please edit your post above to show just a small part or most important part of article, we do not allow posting of entire articles, copyright reasons. Also, you need to give a link where you found it. TIA
    Sorry...I deleted it and just put the link. Thanks.

www.findbrianshaffer.com

I haven't seen this theory, by an FBI agent who worked the case, mentioned here.

snip from the AJC story:

On the Sunday after Little disappeared, Ponder was helping interview her roommates at Atlanta police headquarters when a woman named Carolyn Smitherman came in to report an incident. She said she had been walking to her car at Lenox shortly before Little would have left the mall when she realized she was being followed. She jumped into her vehicle and locked the door as the pursuer, a thin man with a brown crew cut, grabbed the handle.

"If you think you're going to get in my car, you're crazy," she told him.

He tapped the window and said, "Your back tire is low."

She drove to a nearby service station. Her tires were fine.

Ponder closes the file. "I think that was probably the man who grabbed Mary," he says. "I think he drove her somewhere, raped her and then brought her back to Lenox and switched cars. Then he drove her to North Carolina. I imagine she's buried in the woods somewhere north of Raleigh."

end

Quote Originally Posted by reportertype View Post
    I haven't seen this theory, by an FBI agent who worked the case, mentioned here.

snip from the AJC story:

On the Sunday after Little disappeared, Ponder was helping interview her roommates at Atlanta police headquarters when a woman named Carolyn Smitherman came in to report an incident. She said she had been walking to her car at Lenox shortly before Little would have left the mall when she realized she was being followed. She jumped into her vehicle and locked the door as the pursuer, a thin man with a brown crew cut, grabbed the handle.

"If you think you're going to get in my car, you're crazy," she told him.

He tapped the window and said, "Your back tire is low."

She drove to a nearby service station. Her tires were fine.

Ponder closes the file. "I think that was probably the man who grabbed Mary," he says. "I think he drove her somewhere, raped her and then brought her back to Lenox and switched cars. Then he drove her to North Carolina. I imagine she's buried in the woods somewhere north of Raleigh."

end
    It was mentioned in the link I provided some time ago for the AJC story, but you're right, it was never really discussed. I've always thought that was a pretty plausible theory myself. Given the lack of concrete evidence of some of the other theories, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Here's the link to the AJC story again in case anyone wants to re-read it.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1102670/posts

www.findbrianshaffer.com

I agree that explanation seems to be most plausible.

I still wonder about the NC connection since Mary was from there originally. Seems like an odd coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by reportertype View Post
    I agree that explanation seems to be most plausible.

I still wonder about the NC connection since Mary was from there originally. Seems like an odd coincidence.
    I wondered about that too....I thought about those phone calls she reportedly received at work where someone was bothering her...I thought it could have been from someone she knew from NC who she used to date or someone who was possibly obsessed with her that no one else knew about.

Although Jim Ponder's theory makes sense..it seems the car was in NC at the gas stations so that could possibly validate the theory that someone she knew from Charlotte was responsible for her abduction too.

www.findbrianshaffer.com

I grew up in Atlanta, and have had a life-long interest in Mary Shotwell Little's disappearance (true confession: I'm considering writing my dissertation on her case). As much as I read and go over every piece of information I can find on her case, it still doesn't make sense because there are so many strange details and inconsistencies.

1. I have NEVER understood why Diane's murder was considered a coincidence. That is one HELL of a coincidence. Two young women, the same age, one of whom replaced the other at her job, who had the same circle of friends. Both receive odd deliveries of flowers. One disappears, one ends up murdered a few years later, and it's a coincidence? Really?

Atlanta was metastasizing during this time period, and C&S Bank, where both women worked, was very much involved with the construction boom. Huge amounts of money was being borrowed and invested into Atlanta. (That is fact, the rest of this is just a theory). Mary Little indicated to friends that she had something to tell them. What if she discovered some banking irregularity and went to someone at the bank whom she trusted, and whom she thought was dealing with it? If he asked her to stay quiet while he "investigated", and then kidnapped her when he knew her husband would be out of town? Maybe Diane knew something without actually knowing what she knew?

Equally likely is that, because of their overlapping social and work circles, they both met some psycho.

2. It's been commented that it is awfully strange that Little's credit cards were used in North Carolina, since that's where her family lives and where she grew up. It is another strange coincidence. However, another reason as to why her cards where used in North Carolina hours after her disappearance is that, at that time, I-85 was the closest Interstate to Lennox Square. In fact, the fastest way to Little's apartment from Lennox involved I-85 back then.

3. This has always bothered me. Every report I've read stated that Little went grocery shopping at Colonial Grocery (which was located at Lennox), met her friend Isla for dinner at the S&S Cafeteria, and then went shopping with Isla. What groceries did she buy? Unless she just picking up canned goods, why would you grocery shop first? Atlanta in early October isn't usually cool enough that you could leave any sort of perishable in your car for a couple of hours.

4. Why did the girls meet at Lennox? Whose idea was it? From what I've read, most of Little's friends lived in the Decatur area (on the east side of Atlanta), and she lived in the Belvedere section of Decatur. She worked smack downtown, not in the Buckhead area. Belvedere, at that time, was a very nice open air shopping plaza, similar to Lennox, that also offered a Rich's Department store, Colonial Grocery, and a cafeteria-style restaurant. Have I gone out of my way to go to Lennox? Yes! But now Lennox is a high end mall that offers stores not found anywhere else in Atlanta. That wasn't true in the mid-1960s. The girls could have had that exact same experience at Belvedere.

5. Mary's car. How was her car not there at night (when other cars were ticketed), not there Friday morning when the guards checked for it, but there when her boss checked for it around noon? Especially how was her car there when at around that same time her gas card was being used in North Carolina? That would mean that, at a minimum, two people were involved. How did her car get covered in red dirt?

One witness says she saw Mary drive away from Lennox that night on her own. By 1965 the area of town Mary would have transversed between home, work, and Lennox would not have had dirt roads. What those areas were full of were construction sites.

I've always wondered if Mary wasn't flagged down by someone she knew. I remember, pre-cell phone, sometimes seeing a friend on the road and them motioning for me to pull over into a parking lot, or something.

6. Atlanta had some strange people floating around town at the time. Franklin Delano Floyd was in prison, but his buddies were hanging around town. I'll admit that when I first started reading about Gary Hilton I wondered if Mary wasn't perhaps one of his first victims. Something about the way she was taken, the descriptions of her using those gas cards...it just seems to fit. But I ruled him out for some reason (military? prison?). I need to find my notes.

However, I can't get over Diane and those roses. I need to find out why, exactly, the police ruled out a connection.

I forgot to mention the missing evidence. I can't remember when, exactly, the evidence box for this case went missing. Does anyone else know? However, in the late 1960s the APD managed to lose the evidence regarding the other famous case with a Mary- Mary Phagan. Historians and cold case detective rue the idiocy that lost that case file. If Little's file was lost that early, it makes me wonder if someone hasn't forgotten a storage locker somewhere. Or, you know, if APD was dirtier than even I think they were.
    Last edited by AMP1979; 12-09-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast