Several killed in hotel blast in Jordan

Shadow205

Reaction score
AMMAN (Reuters) - At least five people were killed and more than 12 others were wounded on Wednesday in a blast at an international hotel in the Jordanian capital, Amman, Reuters witnesses said.

A police officer said it looked like the explosion was caused by a bomb but there was no immediate confirmation.

The explosion shook the Radisson hotel and several wounded people were seen in the lobby, witnesses said. more at link http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-09T193216Z_01_SPI968949_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-JORDAN.xml

I am looking for more info. From what I am hearing on Fox, more than one Hotel was hit. I think that it is the Hyatt, Radison & Days Inn. There are several fatalities. These are hotels frequented by American tourists & Journalists.

AMMAN, Jordan — Explosions hit three hotels in the Jordanian capital Wednesday night, and at least 12 people were killed.
The first blast occurred at about 8:50 p.m. at the luxury Grand Hyatt hotel, popular with tourists and diplomats. An Associated Press reporter at the hotel counted seven bodies being taken away. Police said there were many others injured.

A few minutes later, police reported an explosion at the Radisson SAS Hotel a short distance away. Police said five people were killed and at least 20 wounded.

Another explosion was reported at the Days Inn Hotel, and police said there were casualties.http://www.startribune.com/stories/722/5717285.html

Explosions rocked three hotels in the Jordanian capital late Wednesday, killing at least seven people and sending ambulances screaming across downtown. The hotels, all Western owned, were a Radisson, Grand Hyatt and a Days Inn. Police said the Radisson explosion hit a wedding hall. "We're evacuating people. Some are dead and there are many wounded," a police official told The Associated Press.

www.cnn.com

AMMAN, Jordan - Explosions hit three hotels in the Jordanian capital Wednesday night, and at least 18 people were killed.

The first blast occurred at about 8:50 p.m. at the luxury Grand Hyatt hotel, popular with tourists and diplomats. Associated Press reporter Jamal Halaby, who was at the hotel, counted seven bodies being taken away. Police said there were many others injured.

A few minutes later, police reported an explosion at the Radisson SAS Hotel a short distance away. Police said five people were killed and at least 20 wounded.

Another explosion was reported at the Days Inn Hotel, and police said there were casualties.

Police had no word on what caused the explosions, although an American businessman at the Grand Hyatt said a bomb went off in the lobby. Witnesses saw smoke rising from the building.

Jordan, a close U.S. ally, has arrested scores of Islamic militants for plotting to carry out attacks in the moderate Arab kingdom. It has also sentenced numerous militants to death in absentia, including the Jordanian-born leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

In July, prosecutors indicted five Jordanians in an alleged conspiracy to attack intelligence agents, tourists and hotels in Amman. Al-Zarqawi has not been linked to the alleged plot

www.dallasnews.com

I just heard that the death toll is now 53. Suicide/homocide bombers did this. Fox reporting.

concernedperson said:
I just heard that the death toll is now 53. Suicide/homocide bombers did this. Fox reporting.

53 dead, more than 120 wounded now, according to CNN news. Yes, suicide bombers, one in a wedding party.

I doubt there will be much outrage in the rest of the Arab world either.

Cafferty on CNN pointed out that 11-9, today's date, is the inverse of 9-11; and it being 3 American hotels, he doesn't think it's a coincidence.

Marthatex said:
Cafferty on CNN pointed out that 11-9, today's date, is the inverse of 9-11; and it being 3 American hotels, he doesn't think it's a coincidence.

Interesting and more than likely a right on call. This has Al Gaeda written all over it.....did I mention that they are heathens? They have no love of God and certainly not humanity.

I am just sick about this. As many of you know, I spend my summers in Jordan doing archaeology. It is a wonderful place. It has always been very safe and the people are lovely and demonstrate true hospitality. There have been many attempts to target hotels for bombings, but up until now the Jordan secret police managed to thwart all of them. Believe me that Jordan is more of a target for this bombing than America or Americans. Al-Qaeda declared Jordan as an enemy to its cause years ago. Al-Qaeda's followers hate that Jordan is moderate (NOT fundamentalist), a strong ally with the US and has a successful peace treaty with neighboring Israel. Jordan is a poor country. It has no oil and few natural resources -- archaeological sites and tourism are very important to its economy. Bombings like this will destroy the economy. THAT is the main goal. The fact that they used American hotels gets them two for one. It is mainly symbolic but also will result in economic problems for American hotel chains around the world as tourists will be afraid to stay in them.

It is too late for me to call my friends in Amman but I plan to do so in the morning. The wedding party that was attacked just makes me sick. I have been to several big weddings in Jordan -- a few in the major hotels -- and they are a joyous occasion with EVERYBODY invited.

Cypros said:
I am just sick about this. As many of you know, I spend my summers in Jordan doing archaeology. It is a wonderful place. It has always been very safe and the people are lovely and demonstrate true hospitality. There have been many attempts to target hotels for bombings, but up until now the Jordan secret police managed to thwart all of them. Believe me that Jordan is more of a target for this bombing than America or Americans. Al-Qaeda declared Jordan as an enemy to its cause years ago. Al-Qaeda's followers hate that Jordan is moderate (NOT fundamentalist), a strong ally with the US and has a successful peace treaty with neighboring Israel. Jordan is a poor country. It has no oil and few natural resources -- archaeological sites and tourism are very important to its economy. Bombings like this will destroy the economy. THAT is the main goal. The fact that they used American hotels gets them two for one. It is mainly symbolic but also will result in economic problems for American hotel chains around the world as tourists will be afraid to stay in them.

It is too late for me to call my friends in Amman but I plan to do so in the morning. The wedding party that was attacked just makes me sick. I have been to several big weddings in Jordan -- a few in the major hotels -- and they are a joyous occasion with EVERYBODY invited.

I am sorry for your lost. It makes me sick as well.Good people everywhere will rally to this tragedy as it shows more and more that God doesn't do this, heathens do. The death and destruction cannot be in the name of God. Killers are out there looking for their own gain and that will not be lost on the majority of the world's population.

Cypros said:

Thanks for enlightening us; sounds right on - they are good people and our friends and Israels. What a shame; this Al Qeuda is awful, awful; and I wish there was something we could do to beat them - but the world needs to join us wholeheartedly against this group, which is becoming larger and larger

I am so proud of the Jordanian citizens who are uniting in protest against these attacks. When I see this I am encouraged that Zarqawi will be unsuccessful in his efforts to destabilize the country. The people are supporting their king and their nation. It is unfortunate, though, that they have a destabilized Iraq as their neighbor. That factor allows Jordan to remain an easy target for al-Qaeda.

Cypros said:
I am so proud of the Jordanian citizens who are uniting in protest against these attacks. When I see this I am encouraged that Zarqawi will be unsuccessful in his efforts to destabilize the country. The people are supporting their king and their nation. It is unfortunate, though, that they have a destabilized Iraq as their neighbor. That factor allows Jordan to remain an easy target for al-Qaeda.

I was happy to hear some of the comments made by citizens as well. I'm very sorry that they've had to go through this. Reading about that wedding reception was very hard.

I just got off the phone with my friend, Huda. Her family had had a big wedding for her nephew at the Radisson a couple of months ago. She told me that the fathers of both the bride and the groom of the wedding last night were killed and many of the other family members killed and or seriously injured. The wedding party was just arriving at the hotel when this happened.

This is a big shock for the country which enjoys so many freedoms.

From www.cnn.com

Three terror bombings that killed at least 56 people at three hotels in Jordan's capital sparked furious protests against al Qaeda today after a Web site carried a claim that the group was behind the attacks. The Associated Press reported that hundreds of angry Jordanians rallied in Amman shouting, "Burn in hell, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi!"

Its a shame so many people have to die in order for this message to get out.

Cypros said:

Does anyone think it's going to take a wall going up around Syria to stop the violence in the region?

Marthatex said:
I think they all came from Iraq.

Iraq seems to be the new home base for terriorists. Must have moved out of other countries when the heat was hottest. Could be using vulnerability as the core of operations....damn these people!

Rocky said:
Does anyone think it's going to take a wall going up around Syria to stop the violence in the region?

Why Syria? All reports I have heard say the bombers were from Iraq. They spoke with Iraqi accents which is distinctive to all Jordanians. Zarqawi and al-Qaeda have been targeting Jordan for years in their effort to make it a fundamentalist anti-western state. Iraq USED to be a buffer zone between the moderate states -- Jordan and Egypt (and to a lesser extent Lebanon and Syria) -- and the fundementalist nations promoting al-Qaeda. Now with Iraq in chaos and overrun with insurgents and al-qaeda operatives Jordan is terribly susceptible to these kinds of over-the-border attacks. The problem is Iraq. Not the Iraq of Saddam's era but the Iraq of the US occupation. Our inability to gain control leads to destabilization of the region -- but that may have been the goal....

The latest CNN report says they crossed the Iraq border.

King Abdullah says Zarqawi changed his tactic of using Jordanians and used foreigners this time; thus security didn't work. Evidently Zarqawi has tried to hit Jordan so many times and was "frustrated". The explosives are Yugoslavian in origin and "readily available in Iraq".

King Abdullah: "these people are insane"....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/world/meast/11/12/jordan.blasts/index.html - click back to CNN home page

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back