UK - John Greenwood & Gary Miller, both 11, murdered, Whiston, Merseyside, 16 Aug 1980

Legally Bland

Reaction score
_91943378_millergreenwood.jpg

Police have reopened the case of two 11-year-old friends murdered in Merseyside 36 years ago.

John Greenwood and Gary Miller died after being found beaten and hidden under a mattress on a rubbish tip in Whiston on 16 August 1980.

A man was tried for their murders in 1981, but found not guilty.

Police are making a fresh appeal for anybody who saw the boys on the day of the murders after receiving new information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37671385

I just came here to post about John and Gary. Thanks LB!

Another link:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ed-11-year-olds-found-buried-alive/ar-AAj1lkE

What The Sunday Times found:
A confession Mr Cheeseman made to detectives was criticised in the trial because there had been no guardian or lawyer present during the interview.
The Sunday Times report a review in 2008 found forensic exhibits, including blood-stained clothing, had been lost or destroyed.
The national newspaper also claims to have found a new witness in the case who said Mr Cheeseman turned up at her door on the night of the murders with “what looked like red paint” on his trousers.

Another neighbour said three days before the killings Mr Cheeseman appeared at her door angry and distraught and said he would “get the family” back after John’s father had complained about him playing on the street with the boys.

The investigation has also claimed to have unearthed allegations of a potential new suspect.
The paper reports that a Whiston resident told friends in 1999 she tried to commit suicide because she could no longer live with the guilt of her husband killing the two boys.

How the case was originally reported by the Liverpool Echo.

The Reverend E Mitchell, vicar of St Nicholas Church in Whiston, said: “Both parents have asked that the two little boys be buried together and that will be arranged.”

[...]

May 9, 1981
The jury in the trial of John Cheeseman were told they faced a “whodunnit”, and his barrister Benet Hyfner said they were faced with trying a “very bizarre case”.

He said his client did not fit the description of the killer and had been seen by more than 12 “reputable” eye-witnesses in a different place at the time of the murders

May 11, 1981
A jury took less than an hour to clear John Cheeseman of the killings of John Greenwood and Gary Miller.

It's a bit worrying evidence was lost or destroyed, hopefully they can still solve this.

subscribing, will read through later

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-39655639

Detectives investigating the murder of two 11-year-old schoolboys who were buried alive nearly 37 years ago have said they are pursuing new leads...

Officers now want to trace three schoolboys who may have been witnesses...

Detectives are hoping to trace two men, who would have been boys aged between 10 and 15 in 1980, who were seen being assaulted by an older male outside Whiston Health Centre weeks before the murders.

They also want to speak to another man, then also a boy aged 10 to 15, who was called either 'Duffy' or 'Cuffy'.

This was on our local news today (I live in the same general area where it happened). It was a few years before I was born, but I grew up hearing about it because it was such a gruesome case and people were upset about what transpired. I support the Double Jeopardy law in theory but in cases like this it seems like there have been massive errors and justice hasn't been done.

Families of murdered boys plead for justice 40 years on | ITV News

"School friends John Greenwood and Gary Miller were found by a dog walker hidden under a mattress in a rubbish tip in Whiston, near Liverpool, in the early evening of Saturday August 16, 1980.
Both were taken to hospital from the scene in Pottery Lane, in an area now known as Stadt Moers Park, but died from head injuries."

"A man went on trial in 1981 for the boys' murders but was found not guilty."

I am from that general area originally as well, though I was only a toddler at time of the murders.
I'm not sure how much I can say but I do vaguely know John Cheeseman. He was my mum's milkman until fairly recently - not the guy who delivers the milk but the one who collected the money. I find it hard to believe he would be capable of the murders but reading that transcript there are a few things which make me think it must be him.

Not saying he definitely didn't do it but I'm not so sure he did.

JS102467674.jpg

Suspect the police can't question in double murder of schoolboys

-No scrap of blood or evidence etc.
-Forensic tests had failed to link the clothes worn by Cheeseman to those of the young boys etc
- No traces of grass, pollen, or debris from the tip on Cheeseman's clothes

The way the confession was obtained.....unheard off....yes, he was lying and supposedly knew things that IMO he heard through radio and newspaper read to him by the milkman. Detectives full of prejudice. Cheeseman was considered strange, a bit different and what not....so the conclusion was quickly made....he must have done it.

The Sunday Times said detectives had unearthed allegations pointing towards Robert Fisher, who died in 1991, aged 73. His wife, Ethel, reportedly committed suicide in 1999 after telling friends she could no live with the guilt of knowing her husband had killed the boys. Fresh investigation launched into the 1980 murders of John Greenwood and Gary Miller | Daily Mail Online

Thanks for the link Legally. Absolutely harrowing listening to the two mothers speaking.
Hard to believe that they will find the killer now, after so much time has passed, but maybe, just maybe, some new information will be provided.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back