MO MO - Tammy Surdam, 12, St Charles County, 1 Aug 1979

Lucy's mom

Reaction score
This girls was mentioned in the Walker Jane Doe case and I noticed she does not have a page on here. If this is a duplicate, mods please merge.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/34986

She apparently had been a habitual run away so her family did not think anything of it that she had not been seen since 1979. According to NAMUS, "Tammy was last seen at the Youth in Need shelter in St Charles, MO in 1979. Tammy was a chronic runaway prior thus her family was not concerned at first. But as the years went by without contact, family began to worry and filed a missing persons report with law enforcement." Beyond sad in all aspects because this girl was a CHILD and was not reported missing until 8/30/2016. This girl is out there somewhere and she may be one of our UID.

Hair color: Blond/strawberry
Dental: N/A
DNA: Available

There's really nothing about her except I found this article:

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-33050726/background-check-links-child-rapist-to-disappearance

Background Check Links Child Rapist to Disappearance St. Charles Girl, 12, Missing since 1979

Nathan D. "Danny" Williams, a convicted child rapist, is a suspect in the 1979 disappearance of a 12-year-old runaway from St. Charles, police sources say.

In a related development, St. Louis detectives say they are awaiting DNA analysis of blood traces recovered from a vehicle Williams allegedly drove, to see whether it links him to the 1989 disappearance of another girl, Gina Dawn Brooks, missing from Fredericktown, Mo.

12 seems so young to b a chronic runaway. She was in a youth home. I wonder why she was placed. Also, who placed her? The courts? The family? Very sad.

Yes, she needs to be considered for WC Jane Doe.

She should be looked at for all of the UID young girls in the 1979-1980 period, as well as later ones where the dates of death are unsure. 37 years until she was reported missing, wow.

I believe she was reported missing at some point in the 80s/90s. Her profile was submitted to NamUs on 8/30/2016. The same article that Lucy's Mom posted says:

Over the years, family members on more than one occasion thought Tammy had been found. In 1980, the Alton police picked up a runaway girl who refused to identify herself. The girl's description matched Tammy's, but it wasn't her. In the mid-1980s, Texas authorities were trying to identify the body of a teen-age girl who had been murdered. That girl also matched Tammy's description, but it wasn't her.

There are some really sad parts in the full article. It talks about how her family kept posting ads in the newspaper hoping she would see them and come home.

In September 1988, Tammy Surdam's sister, April Fowler of St. Charles, placed an ad in the local newspaper. "Tammy, please call home. Dad is very ill." Fowler, now 36, explained: "Tammy and Dad were close. Dad died that September 11, and I was hoping and praying that I'd see Tammy at the funeral."

There was no response, just as there had been no response after Fowler had wished Tammy a happy birthday in newspaper ads in 1979, 1980 and 1981.

I think that the article linking her to Williams is from the 1990s, so I assume it did not lead anywhere at the time (although that does not preclude it being true). The obituary of her brother from 2013 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104195246 lists her as a survivor so the family were still hopeful. NAMUS gives her as 5ft 10in which I agree is tall, but my daughter reached 5’9” at 12 (and then stopped growing). Girls often reach their final height early.

I think that the article linking her to Williams is from the 1990s, so I assume it did not lead anywhere at the time (although that does not preclude it being true). The obituary of her brother from 2013 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104195246 lists her as a survivor so the family were still hopeful. NAMUS gives her as 5ft 10in which I agree is tall, but my daughter reached 5’9” at 12 (and then stopped growing). Girls often reach their final height early.

Growing spurts very possible somewhere in the time frame is when I sprouted right after my mother purchased new clothes for school .. we were back shopping @ 1 month later that was around 12-13.

has anyone considered el dorado doe,high could be ok
I really thought this could be EDJD.i submitted it as a potential match to Doe Network,and they've already received tips concerning the two.the height,timeline,coloring,lifestyle....but now looking at tammys cleft chin....im not sure .i just hope the reports of tammys height are accurate,as this is probably a big identifier when people are trying to make a match.also,all I can find is the one photo of Tammy.does anyone have anymore?thanks

There's a possibility she was already compared to and ruled out for WCJD, as a 1997 article from the St Louis Post-Dispatch stated Tammy was compared to a JD in Texas in the mid-80s. I'm thinking it might have been WCJD.

I'd link it but it's from newspapers.com, so if someone has a subscription to it, it comes up with a search of Tammy's name.

Alleykin, Have a trial subscription ... It only stated she was compared to a murdered UID in Texas in the Mid-80's it did not specify the UID she was compared too. There was a picture of Danny Williams and Gina Dawn Brooks in the few articles however none of Surdam. It was also clearly stated Tammy did not receive a lot of media coverage due to her being a runaway and staying in a youth home.

Alleykin, Have a trial subscription ... It only stated she was compared to a murdered UID in Texas in the Mid-80's it did not specify the UID she was compared too. There was a picture of Danny Williams and Gina Dawn Brooks in the few articles however none of Surdam. It was also clearly stated Tammy did not receive a lot of media coverage due to her being a runaway and staying in a youth home.

thank you for checking, folieadeuxnola!
I wish we knew which Jane Doe she was ruled out for; it was a wild guess on my end.

Your welcome ... i'm going to assume it was WCJD cannot recall but wasnt she tall as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it was someone whom they found in the mid 80's possible orange socks, it had to be someone tall in TX. EDJD came along in 1991 so don't believe that is whom she was compared to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back