Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsAnais

Verified Clinical Psychologist (AU)
Reaction score
The young woman in this case apparently met the man whose apartment she fell from on Tinder. Police are calling the death suspicious and the investigation is continuing.

Police have positively identified a woman who died after she fell from a Surfers Paradise high-rise apartment building.

The woman has been identified as 26-year-old Warriena Tagpuno Wright from Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Around 2.20am on Friday officers were called to the Wahroonga Place building after receiving reports that a woman had fallen from a balcony.

Police have confirmed the death is being treated as suspicious.

......The 28-year-old man who is the sole occupant of the apartment, Gable Tostee, was assisting police with inquiries on Friday afternoon. He was not formally arrested and no charges have been laid.

Tagpuno Wright was reportedly visiting Tostee after meeting him through an online dating app, believed to be Tinder, the Courier Mail reported.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/10367377/Kiwi-dies-after-Surfers-Paradise-balcony-fall

10367479.jpg

Gable Tostee, man at centre of investigations into Surfers Paradise highrise death plunge of Warriena Wright, charged with murder

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...plead-not-guilty/story-fnje8bkv-1227025428311

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

Media/Timeline Thread

Gable Tostee found not guilty over death of Warriena Wright during Tinder date
Elle Hunt
Thursday 20 October 2016

Gable Tostee has been found not guilty of the murder or manslaughter of his Tinder date, Warriena Wright, after four days’ of deliberation by the jury in a case that has shone a light on the use of the dating app.

Tostee, a 30-year-old carpet fitter from the Gold Coast in Australia, walked free on Thursday after being cleared of killing Wright, 26, who fell to her death from his 14th-floor apartment.

Tostee did not comment to the waiting media throng as he left the supreme court in Brisbane but stood in silence next to his lawyer, who said his client “looking forward to moving on with his life”.

Wright’s family wept as the verdict was read out – as did members of Tostee’s family and some jurors.

[...]

The jury of six men and six women retired on Monday and spent four days deliberating before reaching a verdict of not guilty of murder or manslaughter.

Justice John Byrne had instructed the jury in his directions on Monday they could not find Tostee guilty just because they think he should have behaved differently. “It would be wrong for you to use any of the evidence ... as a base for the prosecution for murder.”

Byrne quoted the Hollywood director Billy Wilder to warn the jury “hindsight is always 20-20”.

Tostee did not comment to the waiting media throng as he left the supreme court in Brisbane but stood in silence next to his lawyer, who said his client “looking forward to moving on with his life”.

If only Rrie had the same option :notgood:

I am hoping against hope that Tostee comes to understand the weight of his actions and chooses to alter his behavior before anyone else is hurt.

Hey guys. I'm back.

Wow. We went through an entire thread in 24 hrs.

Wow.

Hopefully justice is served in the long term since he escaped justice this time around.

<modsnip>

No worries.

Casey Anthony jury did the same thing.

<modsnip>

Jmo.

Please pay attention folks !!

If you see a post that you believe violates TOS or that you think is offensive, do NOT respond to it. Use the Alert feature to notify Mods/Admin and let us handle it. Do not try to moderate the board on your own. If you do respond, you risk your post being deleted, or worse, a loss of posting privileges.

Wow.

Justice for the girl that pleaded for her life in another country.

Just wow.

Imo. For those that rooted for Tostee.

Just please hope that someone you love will never meet a guy that will do something like this.

GT got away with murder this time and the sad very scary fact is he will do it again.

Godspeed Warriena. I am so sorry you were denied life and now you and your family denied justice.

attachment.php

Attachments

• candle21.jpg
    candle21.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 516
I don't know how to fully quote a post from the previous thread, sorry!

For example, a cheese knife was used how? Imagine they find the cheese knife with his full set of fingerprints on it down a sewer in the neighborhood.

Then what?

This was from CleverKnot in the last thread. We were discussing why I think that the object Tostee binned was important and should have been pursued regardless of what it was.

To answer your question, I don't think it was a cheese knife or any other kind of weapon. My best guess is that it was a piece of the telescope mount. I haven't got the slightest idea what drove him to dispose of it, but I do think that:

- not calling police
- leaving the scene
- taking the object with him
- binning said object, and
- failing to turn the audio recording over to the police

can all be interpreted as consciousness of guilt. I didn't mention this previously because I assumed, wrongly, that Australia must have different laws from the US regarding consciousness of guilt and its evidentiary value. Now that I've learned otherwise, I'm back to being stumped as to why the jury was not permitted to consider this evidence.

So, to circle back -- I don't think the missing object was a smoking gun, literally or metaphorically.,but I do think it was important because Tostee deemed it important. Whatever that item was, he didn't want it found or analyzed. Why?

"What the Gable Tostee jury wasn&#8217;t told

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...d/news-story/3d7799ae491cfb454f05254e067df8c7

rsbm/bbm

"The Gold Coast carpet layer, who called himself &#8220;Superhero&#8221; on Facebook and boasted of having dozens of women back to the apartment where Ms Wright died, confessed his drinking problem started when he was 17 years old."

"In one handwritten note penned in his jail cell in a bid to get out of prison, Tostee admitting to &#8220;drowning myself in alcohol&#8221;.

"In the weeks following Warriena Wright&#8217;s death and before his arrest for murder, Tostee was still active on social media and boasting about the 150 women he&#8217;d met on Tinder."

"Writing on body building forum bodyspace.com as &#8220;GT&#8221;, a man who reportedly was Tostee wrote:

&#8220;Had a 21 year old Tinder date come over for drinks, we&#8217;re getting along fine, start kissing, feeling each other.

&#8220;She&#8217;s small so I go to hug and lift her up and take her inside from the balcony but she totally freaks out, mumbles something about getting back to her parents and bolts out the door."

&#8220;Deletes me off both Tinder and FB. Maybe I acted too abruptly and snapped her out of her little lust-trance by manhandling her.&#8221;

"Earlier posts had him saying he, &#8220;banged two girls tonight. First one was 4/10 not worth mentioning didn&#8217;t look like her pics and I couldn&#8217;t even finish&#8221;.

"What none of his Tinder dates knew is that Tostee had taken to social media after his other method of picking up women had been curtailed.

"Tostee had been a regular on the Gold Coast&#8217;s party strip and often visited nightclubs such as Crazy Horse, Cocktails, Club Liv, Bourbon Bar, Players, Alive, Vanity and Sin City."

"But Sin City manager Ty Davidson told news.com.au that he had banned Tostee because he targeted young women who had complained that he had been &#8220;creeping them out&#8221;.

I'm off to pick up a preschool-aged relative.

To kill some time on the return trip I'll ask them an hypothetical question:

'If you invite a new friend to your house for a playdate and they call you a name, throw your toys at you while they're in your room, then they want to take their toys and go home; what would you do?'

I know what their reply will be however, I'll make a point of posting it when I get back.

Answer:

'I'd help her pick up her toys and tell her to go home.'

Follow-up Question:

'What if she swore at you and called you names or tried to hit you. Would you do that to her or stop her from going home?'

Answer:

'No. I'd just tell her to go home or I'd call Mum or Dad or the police and I wouldn't be her friend anymore.'

It's as simple as that. Out of the mouth (and mind) of a preschool-aged boy.

Contrast and compare:

The Tinder date and the fatal fall

I don't know how to fully quote a post from the previous thread, sorry!

This was from CleverKnot in the last thread. We were discussing why I think that the object Tostee binned was important and should have been pursued regardless of what it was.

To answer your question, I don't think it was a cheese knife or any other kind of weapon. My best guess is that it was a piece of the telescope mount. I haven't got the slightest idea what drove him to dispose of it, but I do think that:

- not calling police
- leaving the scene
- taking the object with him
- binning said object, and
- failing to turn the audio recording over to the police

can all be interpreted as consciousness of guilt. I didn't mention this previously because I assumed, wrongly, that Australia must have different laws from the US regarding consciousness of guilt and its evidentiary value. Now that I've learned otherwise, I'm back to being stumped as to why the jury was not permitted to consider this evidence.

So, to circle back -- I don't think the missing object was a smoking gun, literally or metaphorically.,but I do think it was important because Tostee deemed it important. Whatever that item was, he didn't want it found or analyzed. Why?

My opinion is that the object would detract from his (one and only) narrative of the events that occurred inside his apartment that night.

I don't know why the CCTV footage after the fact was not investigated by police and could not be considered by the jurors.

I also think that the recording (such as it was when found) would also have disappeared had it not had probative value to a future defence should he be charged with an offence relating to Warriena's death.

After listening to the tapes. Gosh I won't do that again W was so very very intoxicated. Lots she says makes no sense. I think he is culpable due to the fact he continued to ply her with alcohol. He sounds rather sober, she sounds smashed. Her family said she was not a big drinker and drank beer. (Which is what the picked up earlier in the night as seen on CCTV) He continued to pour her drinks saying here drink this. Hence his duty of care was poor. Placing a very drunk person on a veranda and locking them outside only to have her plunge to her death IMOO he was responsible for her death. Maybe not murder but manslaughter. Anyway case over. Lots of emotion in this case. Terrible loss of life here. Boy the dating scene has changed over the years. I am glad my daughter is in a stable relationship and not out there dating. Thanks to everyone who helped with the legalities of the case. I guess the next very emotive case will be Tiahleigh Palmer.

I wonder if GT's mental state (autism + OCD) drove the jury to not find him guilty as he would then appeal on medical grounds and win anyway. The more I read about him the more deranged he looks to me. He won't learn and he won't stop. IMO he should be under close observation full time. At least now the locals will know who to not call when they need to change their carpets.

Just heard on local radio that Tostee was suing CH9 *A CURRENT AFFAIR*. Will keep ears open.
Following on from this.......SoSo has added a link re this in previous thread, Post # 1003....:tyou:

[h=3]Tostee drops lawsuit[/h]
It also emerged after the trial that Mr Tostee has dropped a $150,000 lawsuit against the Nine Network&#8217;s A Current Affair program.

Mr Tostee was suing the program and producer Stephanie Angus over what he alleged were defamatory comments broadcast on August 12, 2014 before he was charged with Ms Wright&#8217;s murder
A Current Affair executive producer Grant Williams told AAP the case was no longer in court and that Mr Tostee agreed to make &#8220;a financial contribution&#8221; to the program&#8217;s costs.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/qld/2016/10/20/wright-family-tostee/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member