Organs Refused While Patients Die

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Some heads need to roll over this...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-irvine10nov10,0,5889011.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Organs Refused While Patients Die

UC Irvine hospital has turned down dozens of livers that were then accepted elsewhere. Federal report also details other problems.

By Charles Ornstein and Alan Zarembo, Times Staff Writers

Over the last two years, more than 30 people died awaiting liver transplants at UCI Medical Center in Orange as the hospital turned down scores of organs that might have saved them, according to a federal report.

More than 100 UCI patients still are waiting for transplants, and 28 have joined the roster this year alone — despite a staffing shortage that dampens their prospects for a transplant.

It wouldn't be so bad if more people signed their organ transplant cards (pet peeve).

Please, sign the card. All the myths are false - your family will not be billed, you will not be allowed to die for your organs, etc. All that will happen is that if you are in an accident, and you die, you will save several lives who otherwise would have died for lack of your organs. It's a wonderful thing, save a life at no cost to yourself. A mother will live to raise her children, a grandfather going blind will be able to see his first grandchild, a man handicapped by a liver failure will have his life back, just so many wonderful things can happen just for signing that card.

Too bad that hospital is being picky - but the organs never go to waste, 30 more people got those livers.

Details said:
It wouldn't be so bad if more people signed their organ transplant cards (pet peeve).

Please, sign the card. All the myths are false - your family will not be billed, you will not be allowed to die for your organs, etc. All that will happen is that if you are in an accident, and you die, you will save several lives who otherwise would have died for lack of your organs. It's a wonderful thing, save a life at no cost to yourself. A mother will live to raise her children, a grandfather going blind will be able to see his first grandchild, a man handicapped by a liver failure will have his life back, just so many wonderful things can happen just for signing that card.

Too bad that hospital is being picky - but the organs never go to waste, 30 more people got those livers.

Done deal!!! I agree completely!!!

Details said:

i am a donor....:D

Details said:
From the article above:

The report suggests that UCI's problems existed for years. The review was prompted by a complaint from a former UCI patient who had languished on the list from 1998 to 2002. The woman, who ultimately received a transplant at another hospital, discovered only through a lawsuit that UCI had turned down more than 90 organs offered for her.

Signing a card doesn't do very much. YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR FAMILY!!!
They're the ones who are ultimately left to make the decision of donating your organs.

More on organ and tissue donation:
http://www.donors1.org/

I'm a donor, my family knows it, and it's stated on the notarized form I keep in my wallet about my health care wishes. :D Hopefully someone can get some use out of these organs after I no longer need them.

My daughter is a liver recipient. Her 5 year transplant anniversary is in April.

Thanks to the generosity of a family during their time of grief, I was able to see my daughter go to junior high, I was able to see my daughter attend her first day of high school, I was able to see my daughter look like a princess at her homecoming dance, I am able to hear my daughter tell me that she hates me and that she loves me, I can look into her beautiful blue eyes, and I can wipe away her tears and rejoice in her triumphs.

Those of you that are not donors or are considering it, please research it thoroughly and become one. If not for this family, my daughter would have died at age 10.

And of course, discuss it with your friends and family. So far as I know, everyone in my family is a donor, and I don't think there'd be a moment's hesitation if the situation happened in agreeing to donate the organs. To have something good at during a sorrow like that is priceless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back