1205 users online (235 members and 970 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 109
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by tgemelke View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. If the information was not new, then you really have to wonder why that lead wasn't pursued more aggressively earlier in the investigation.

    Yes, among other things. Why didn't they do any number of things that were routine police procedure? Episode 9 really brought everything full circle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sillybilly; 11-02-2016 at 01:43 AM. Reason: repaired quote

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    511
    I thought the part with Jared in Episode 9 was disturbing, where he said DH made the comment about "don't throw up or I'll kill you". Jared said that never happened in his incident. So did DH say that to Jacob or another victim?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by thenotebook View Post
    I thought the part with Jared in Episode 9 was disturbing, where he said DH made the comment about "don't throw up or I'll kill you". Jared said that never happened in his incident. So did DH say that to Jacob or another victim?
    Not exactly sure why this is even worth talking about. The mess is over, it's time to forget the worst aspects of it.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Listen View Post
    Yes, among other things. Why didn't they do any number of things that were routine police procedure? Episode 9 really brought everything full circle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    It's sad that some people will devote the rest of their lives blaming LE. They have to act according to law and they got their confession under miraculous circumstances. Could it have been done any other way or sooner? Most likely not. Everything fell into place and the professionals acted when they found an opportunity for confession. These podcasts are jumping the gun, they're not sitting back and thinking it through enough.
    Last edited by sillybilly; 11-02-2016 at 01:44 AM. Reason: repaired quote

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by ELOCsoul View Post
    #9 is a good closer, we finally get to hear from Larry Peart and he confirms what we've been saying about the Hart Notes for more than two years...the notes SCSO have had for a long time. She also confirms that Heinrich and Hart hung out at the original burial spot...exactly as had been suggested
    YES.
    Adding..or shall I just toss in my two pennies and say how DISTURBING these matters are. ( that you've just " confirmed " )
    VERY disturbing JMO
    Addicted

    Lurking or sleuthing, at all hours of the day & night, many times falling asleep with phone in hand/laptop in lap

    Will NOT be held liable for the following:

    Paragraph Structure
    Grammar
    Appropriate Language
    Using Contractions Correctly
    Correct use of Acronyms ( should I attempt them )
    Punctuation
    Falling asleep mid response


    *terms subject to change without notice*

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
    YES.
    Adding..or shall I just toss in my two pennies and say how DISTURBING these matters are. ( that you've just " confirmed " )
    VERY disturbing JMO
    How does any of this get Heinrich to confess earlier? Like I've been saying they found him in 89, they interrogated him and followed him for weeks, nothing could ever be done by anyone until Heinrich was in a situation where he would choose to confess, much older and life in prison against him. There is such a better story to be concentrating on than notes or this or that.
    Last edited by Sasquatch321; 11-02-2016 at 01:30 AM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    State of Being
    Posts
    15,869
    Watch your quotes please folks !! If you see a broken quote, Alert on it immediately so we can fix it quickly. It gets more and more difficult down the road to figure out who said what.


  8. #23
    ELOCsoul's Avatar
    ELOCsoul is offline Verified Author - "Finding Jacob Wetterling"
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post
    How does any of this get Heinrich to confess earlier? Like I've been saying they found him in 89, they interrogated him and followed him for weeks, nothing could ever be done by anyone until Heinrich was in a situation where he would choose to confess, much older and life in prison against him. There is such a better story to be concentrating on than notes or this or that.
    I don't think the issue was getting him to confess earlier, I think the issue is that LE "forgot" about him. The circumstantial evidence that Heinrich was Jacob's abductor was very significant. Additionally, there was physical evidence in Jared's case, in the form of fibers in his car matching fibers from Jared's clothing. The bottom line, IMO, is that they knew or should have known that Heinrich was the abductor. Proving it, yes that's another matter. Going after someone else, namely Rassier, was baseless IMO. The whole claim about waiting for science to evolve to nab Heinrich severely contradicts the actions that Stearns committed against DR.

    I agree with your prior point that perhaps the In The Dark series may have jumped the gun on some conclusions, as future releases of investigative files may shed new light and fill some holes. However, I know first hand how thorough Madeleine Baran was with her research into this. There are many, many things she left out of the podcasts that weren't quite certainties. I believe time will show the series will be highly accurate in its conclusions.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by ELOCsoul View Post
    I don't think the issue was getting him to confess earlier, I think the issue is that LE "forgot" about him. The circumstantial evidence that Heinrich was Jacob's abductor was very significant. Additionally, there was physical evidence in Jared's case, in the form of fibers in his car matching fibers from Jared's clothing. The bottom line, IMO, is that they knew or should have known that Heinrich was the abductor. Proving it, yes that's another matter. Going after someone else, namely Rassier, was baseless IMO. The whole claim about waiting for science to evolve to nab Heinrich severely contradicts the actions that Stearns committed against DR.

    I agree with your prior point that perhaps the In The Dark series may have jumped the gun on some conclusions, as future releases of investigative files may shed new light and fill some holes. However, I know first hand how thorough Madeleine Baran was with her research into this. There are many, many things she left out of the podcasts that weren't quite certainties. I believe time will show the series will be highly accurate in its conclusions.
    The truth is they never forgot about him and never returned his tires. If he moved they noted it, if he changed employment they noted it. They always referred to looking at more then one person the entire time, they routinely said they have about five good suspects. They didn't name him a POI but to say his name wasn't always there or that he was ever forgot is false.

  10. #25
    ELOCsoul's Avatar
    ELOCsoul is offline Verified Author - "Finding Jacob Wetterling"
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post
    The truth is they never forgot about him and never returned his tires. If he moved they noted it, if he changed employment they noted it. They always referred to looking at more then one person the entire time, they routinely said they have about five good suspects. They didn't name him a POI but to say his name wasn't always there or that he was ever forgot is false.
    They returned his tires almost right away, and all the rest of his stuff in Feb 1990. With the evidence they had, there was no need to look beyond Danny Heinrich, IMO. The rest of the investigation will eventually be revealed. Every time more documents are released, the worse it looks for SCSO. The sloppiness with which they dismissed a car involved is Barney Fife type stuff.


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by ELOCsoul View Post
    They returned his tires almost right away, and all the rest of his stuff in Feb 1990. With the evidence they had, there was no need to look beyond Danny Heinrich, IMO. The rest of the investigation will eventually be revealed. Every time more documents are released, the worse it looks for SCSO. The sloppiness with which they dismissed a car involved is Barney Fife type stuff.
    Heinrich made the mess, SCSO won it in the end.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by ELOCsoul View Post
    They returned his tires almost right away, and all the rest of his stuff in Feb 1990. With the evidence they had, there was no need to look beyond Danny Heinrich, IMO. The rest of the investigation will eventually be revealed. Every time more documents are released, the worse it looks for SCSO. The sloppiness with which they dismissed a car involved is Barney Fife type stuff.
    I thought the FBI kept the tires

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16,632
    This to me is very interesting and relevant. This guy was just arrested for keeping a woman chained up in a cage in South Carolina,

    He was a juvenile sex offender. He was a realtor who had access to many properties. Info about him here. He adds to the profile types, I feel

    http://wspa.com/2016/11/03/what-we-k...ff-kidnapping/

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    I thought the FBI kept the tires
    I'm pretty sure they did as well. What else was kept was Jareds evidence that was routinely tested until touch DNA technology caught up with it 2 years ago.

  15. #30
    ELOCsoul's Avatar
    ELOCsoul is offline Verified Author - "Finding Jacob Wetterling"
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they did as well. What else was kept was Jareds evidence that was routinely tested until touch DNA technology caught up with it 2 years ago.
    Here is an excerpt from Finding Jacob Wetterling, with key points in boldface, that address the question about the tires being returned, among other key issues....

    The FBI interviewed Heinrich again on January 12, 1990. He was wearing a pair of tennis shoes during the interview and admitted to investigators that it was the only pair of tennis shoes he owned and that he had purchased them at Sears about a year before. He gave his shoes to the investigators so they could perform tests on them. Three days later, on January 15, 1990, Heinrich surrendered the rear tires on his blue 1982 Ford EXP. He told the investigators he had purchased the Ford EXP in September 1989, a month before the abduction.

    On January 15, 1989 Detective Pearce obtained documents that indicated Heinrich had purchased the 1987 Mercury Topaz on March 10, 1988. The car had been repossessed on March 15, 1989.
    Detective Pearce was able to track down and contact the people who had bought the 1987 Mer-cury. The new owners of the car voluntarily drove it to the Stearns County Sheriff's office on January 16, 1990. Pearce brought Jared into the Sheriff's office to view the vehicle. Jared sat inside the Topaz for a few minutes and agreed that the car "felt like" the car he had been kidnapped in, and he said he "wouldn't change a thing about the car's interior." When asked to rate the Topaz on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 10 being the most similar to the car he was taken in, he rated it as an "8" or a "9".

    Detective Pearce collected back seat and carpet fiber samples from the Mercury Topaz formerly owned by Heinrich on January 18, 1990. The samples were retained for testing against fibers from the clothing Jared wore during the January 13, 1989 assault.

    On January 24, 1990 investigators executed a search warrant on the home owned by Howard Heinrich, located at 16021 County Road 124, east of Paynesville. Danny's younger brother, Tommy, had told investigators that Danny had been living in the basement of his father's house since November 30, 1989. Officials seized a number of items from Heinrich's home including a black portable police scanner carrying case, lists of police scanner frequencies and user manuals, a pair of black lace-up boots, two brown caps, a Radio Shack scanner frequency book, and a pay stub from Fingerhut dated October 8, 1989. They also confiscated a brown vest, a Regency programmable handheld scanner, and a six-channel Regency scanner.

    It is interesting to note that January 24, 1990, the day the search warrant was executed at the Heinrich home, was also the same date that Duane Allen Hart was arrested and charged with several counts of sexually assaulting juvenile boys.

    FBI agents returned to the Heinrich home the next day, January 25, 1990. This time, Danny's father, Howard, was also present. Danny agreed to come to the Stearns County Sheriff's office the next day to pick up the rear tires that had been removed from his 1982 Ford EXP ten days earlier. Heinrich arrived at the Sheriff's office on January 26, 1990 and agreed to participate with five other white males in a physical lineup for Jared to view.

    When Jared viewed the lineup, more than a year had passed since he had been kidnapped and assaulted, and he was unable to positively identify any of the men as being the man who had assaulted him. He did identify Heinrich and one other person as being similar to his kidnapper, but he rated Danny as just a “4” on a scale of 1 to 10, and the other man was rated a “7.” Photographs of Heinrich demonstrate that his physical appearance fluctuated significantly, even over relatively brief periods of time. It is unknown how significantly Heinrich’s appearance changed in the year that passed between the date of Jared’s assault and his viewing of the lineup.

    On January 26, 1990 the FBI Laboratory called Wetterling investigators and told them that the tires from Heinrich's 1987 Mercury Topaz were consistent with tire impressions that were left at the scene of Jacob Wetterling's abduction. The consistencies were specific to the tread design and size of Heinrich's Sears Superguard tires. However, the tires could not be considered a perfect match because there were no distinguishing characteristics or defects in either the tires or the tread marks in the sandy gravel driveway to provide enough evidence to call them a match.

    The January 30, 1990 issue of the Paynesville Press carried a front-page article about the arrest of Duane Allen Hart. The article again referenced the ongoing investigation of the assaults of the young boys in Paynesville. That issue marked the fifth time that the Paynesville Press had published an article about the assaults or attempted kidnappings of young boys in town.



    FBI investigators arrested Danny Heinrich for probable cause for the kidnapping and assault of Jared, on February 9, 1990, more than a year after the January 1989 incident. The consistency between the fibers found in Heinrich's car, and on the snow pants that Jared wore the night of his assault, was the basis for the arrest. As described in Al Garber's book, Striving To Be The Best, the interview room was staged with furniture, special lights, and a flag. Heinrich told the investigators that he was not guilty of Jared’s assault and that he was being framed. Heinrich demanded an attorney and refused to speak to investigators any further. He was subsequently released without being charged.

    Of significant interest with regard to Heinrich's 1990 arrest was the apparent dissent between investigating agencies. The FBI moved forward with the arrest without consulting with the BCA and against advice from the Stearns County Attorney’s office. Garber notes that the Stearns County district attorney was furious that Heinrich had been arrested prematurely.

    One day short of the anniversary of Danny Heinrich's arrest, on February 8, 1991, investigators returned to Heinrich all of the property that had been seized during the January 24, 1990 execution of the search warrant on his father's home.

    On April 2, 1991, Paynesville police officer Stephen Lehmkuhl requested assistance from the Stearns County Sheriff’s Department. City residents had complained about a strange man driving a tan-colored vehicle that had been witnessed following boys on their newspaper delivery routes. A Stearns County deputy was dispatched to perform surveillance and he observed a tan-colored 1984 Buick driven by Danny Heinrich. Heinrich appeared to be following a paperboy through the down-town area. The deputy noted that although it appeared that Heinrich was stalking newspaper boys, that he did not have probable cause to pull him over. The deputy wrote a report but no further action was taken.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Rippercast Podcast looks at LISK
    By sekaer in forum LISK CLOSED General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-21-2016, 09:01 PM
  2. CarlK and a Fascinating New Podcast Series
    By Tricia in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Tags for this Thread