GA - Daveon, 15, & Tatiyana Coates, 11, slain in Jonesboro home, 22 Oct 2016 *Arrest*

Eleven-year-old Tatiyana Coates and 15-year-old Daveon Coates were both found shot to death inside a house on Libby Lane in the Marlborough subdivision around 5 a.m.

Police said intruders tried to force their way inside the home overnight while Tatiyana, Daveon and several other children, ages 6 to 13, were inside. At some point, the suspects began shooting, but later escaped. Investigators said one of the children was the one to make the call to police.

:rose: :rose: :candle:

Oh my goodness no! 😭 What is wrong with people now??? Just babies 😭 praying for their family. I hope they are caught!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't understand, it was 5 am....the children must have been sleeping. Why kill two and leave the others alive?

I don't understand, it was 5 am....the children must have been sleeping. Why kill two and leave the others alive?
Sounds like 1 probably woke up after hearing the break-in and was killed. That probably also woke up the other. :(Thank God the others were spared. I think a 6-yr.-old called 911 IIRC. ETA-Others may have been hiding. The killer(s) may not have known how many children were in the house or thought that no one was home.

from the 11alive article:

"According to police, Tatiyana and Daveon's parents were not at the home where the fatal shooting happened; they believe that the adults were socializing at another location at the time.

Joy Shilengay lives on the same street as the home and said the family had only been there about a month, but she would always see the parents and children outside playing. Before that, she said the house had been sitting empty for two years.
According to Shilengay, this is the first time an incident like this has happened in the usually-quiet neighborhood and has left people nervous."

So, no history of this type of thing happening in the neighborhood, this family moves in and leaves the kids home all night while they are out socializing and out of the blue there is a home invasion. I think that even most burglars would hesitate before murdering a kid, much less two of them. I have a hard time thinking that this is random. Very strange.

Deeply saddening news.

These murderers must be caught.

Praying for family members of these children. Sending prayers of love and comfort to all.

Sending prayers of strength and resolve for the law enforcement to catch these murderers. This is so awful.

Just my thought but maybe the perps watched the parents leave for work and thought they had an easy break-in only to be surprised by children?
Did any of the neighbors hear the gunshots or see a vehicle leaving? Maybe the perps were on foot?

On Primetime Tonight With Ashleigh Banfield(HLN) a reporter said that 2 families lived in the house and a 15 yr. old male of the other family had gang ties.
Not sure if this is ok to post without link,mod's please remove if against TOS.

The bullets that left two children dead were intended for a 15-year-old, Clayton County Police Chief Michael Register said in an interview Monday.

But that teen wasn’t home when siblings Tatiana Coates, 11, and Daveon Coates, 15, were killed inside their Jonesboro home during what may have been a gang-related shooting, Channel 2 Action News reported.

“We are still trying to locate the 15-year-old that seems to be the root of this issue,” Register said. “We believe he may have valuable information.”
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/crime-law/2-children-unintended-targets-in-deadly-home-invas/nsxDm/

What a mess. Investigators are saying the home invasion may be connected to another shooting in Chattanooga. They think the 15-year-old is involved with a gang.

Very cowardly to kill children. :mad: :puke:

http://www.news-daily.com/news/clay...cle_0821d990-bb5f-5f5e-9f7e-b753d9221a8f.html

Clayton County Police are still searching for the suspects responsible for the October murders of two children caught in the crossfire of rival gang activity...

Police said after an investigation that a rival gang intended to target another 15-year-old boy staying in the home, but he had fled to Chattanooga earlier that weekend... Detectives believe this teen committed an act against a local gang that made them retaliate “in such a vicious manner”...

The teen was picked up by police after he was reportedly involved in a gang-related exchange of gunfire in Chattanooga, four days after the shooting on Libby Lane. He was questioned, but police said in October he was not considered a suspect in the Coates siblings’ murders.

DeKalb 5th grade teacher arrested, linked to murder of two Jonesboro teens

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...to-murder-of-two-jonesboro-teens/85-532568773

Clayton County police are pleading for help from the public to figure out who shot two children to death. Police are certain the murders are gang-related and that the children were innocent victims.

http://www.11alive.com/article/news...-weapon-lead-to-childrens-killer/85-408836630

Uhhhhhhhh what?????

DeKalb teacher faces murder charges in 2016 gang retaliation killings

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/de...s-in-2016-gang-retaliation-killings/722680322

Roughly a 1 1/2 years after two children lost their lives on Libby Lane to gang-related gunfire, Clayton County police have charged a teacher with their killing.

Michael De’Sean White, 26, has been charged with four counts of murder, Clayton County police Maj. Tina Daniel confirmed to Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne.

“Is White a gang member himself?” Winne asked Daniel.

“That is something that still is part of the open investigation,” Daniel said.

[h=1]Elementary school TEACHER, 26, is charged with murder in gang-related revenge killings of an 11-year-old girl and her 15-year-old brother[/h]
  • Michael White, 26, a fifth-grade teacher from Jonesboro, Georgia, charged with murder in October 2016 double homicide of Tatiyana and Daveon Coates
  • Suspected gang members shot the siblings after breaking into their home in search of another 15-year-old boy
  • Police would not say whether White was the trigger man, but he was seen at the scene of the crime
  • Four other children, between ages six and 13, were present at the home
  • White became a fifth-grade teacher at Toney Elementary School in August 2017 after submitting to two separate background checks
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-teacher-charged-gang-related-slayings.html

Clayton County Police Major Tina Daniel says at least one other person also has been arrested, and the agency is still waiting on ballistics tests on a gun recovered from a shootout in Tennessee the next day, reported WSB-TV.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back