1087 users online (182 members and 905 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1260
  1. #1201
    rosesfromangels's Avatar
    rosesfromangels is offline First documented female Judge, Deborah. The Bible, book of Judges
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    If Jenny is with someone she met along her way, I doubt that person will be any easier to find than Jenny. I'm curious, why did Jenny choose that as her American name? What does it mean to her?
    Several of my chinese national friends have told me their english (to speak english) teachers pick their names.
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

  2. #1202
    Yes, you are right. When Chinese kids start taking English lessons at school, their English teacher usually gives them English names. This happened to me too. But many kids end up changing their names later to whatever they like, since it's not an official name and no legal document is bound to it. I ended up changing mine after I moved to the states for school.

    I saw a vid on Jenny's facebook earlier. Her friend called her Jennifer instead of Jenny. I wonder what she really goes by in real life, Jennifer or Jenny?

    Quote Originally Posted by rosesfromangels View Post
    Several of my chinese national friends have told me their english (to speak english) teachers pick their names.

  3. #1203
    I don't think these donations come from people in China. They are mostly likely from Chinese Americans in the States. The reason I say this is that facebook is not easily accessible in China (unless you install VPN and pay a monthly fee to access all censored sites) so the locals wouldn't know about JR asking for donations. Also, gofundme is all in English and accepts only USD? (correct me if I'm wrong), which just creates more difficulties for Chinese locals to donate via this site.

    If you follow Yingying Zhang's case, her donations come from two sources 1) gofundme, which is set up for donors in America; 2) 轻松筹 (easy donations), which is a Chinese donation site set up for donations from China.

    The only think I can think of right now is that due to the high profile of Yingying Zhang's case, the Chinese American community became aware of other cases involving Chinese girls gone missing, which explains the surge of donations.




    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmationChick View Post
    Southlanecherry, out of curiosity, do you have any speculation on why there may have been the random uptick in donations from those with Chinese names? Anything in the media or something else that wouldn't come up in an English search? Hearing you talk about the less-than-warm feelings toward Jenny in her home country makes it more perplexing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    8,647
    Quote Originally Posted by southlanecherry View Post
    I don't think these donations come from people in China. They are mostly likely from Chinese Americans in the States. The reason I say this is that facebook is not easily accessible in China (unless you install VPN and pay a monthly fee to access all censored sites) so the locals wouldn't know about JR asking for donations. Also, gofundme is all in English and accepts only USD? (correct me if I'm wrong), which just creates more difficulties for Chinese locals to donate via this site.

    If you follow Yingying Zhang's case, her donations come from two sources 1) gofundme, which is set up for donors in America; 2) 轻松筹 (easy donations), which is a Chinese donation site set up for donations from China.

    The only think I can think of right now is that due to the high profile of Yingying Zhang's case, the Chinese American community became aware of other cases involving Chinese girls gone missing, which explains the surge of donations.
    It's confusing because JR said he was grateful for donations from the "Chinese and Chinese American community." We're used to JR being confusing , but GFM says people from all over the world can donate using a major credit card.

    https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-u...o-my-campaign-

    That doesn't explain how people in China would clear the other hurdles you mention...no FB and the language barrier. But I do notice that some of the members of HFJ appear to live in China, so perhaps they are paying the monthly fee you mentioned. When I was researching the Chinese couple whose car went into the river near King's Canyon in CA last month, there were lots of Chinese on FB who live in China, including the wife who died.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ark-6-Aug-2017

    When the donations started suddenly and rapidly increasing I wondered if someone Chinese who was close to Jenny was spearheading a campaign by sharing the story (translated?) and the GFM with friends in the U.S. and China and perhaps Mexico. One of life's little mysteries!
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

    DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

  5. #1205
    But, how can JR even tell which one donation is from Chinese locals or Chinese Americans?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    It's confusing because JR said he was grateful for donations from the "Chinese and Chinese American community." We're used to JR being confusing , but GFM says people from all over the world can donate using a major credit card.

    https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-u...o-my-campaign-

    That doesn't explain how people in China would clear the other hurdles you mention...no FB and the language barrier. But I do notice that some of the members of HFJ appear to live in China, so perhaps they are paying the monthly fee you mentioned. When I was researching the Chinese couple whose car went into the river near King's Canyon in CA last month, there were lots of Chinese on FB who live in China, including the wife who died.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ark-6-Aug-2017

    When the donations started suddenly and rapidly increasing I wondered if someone Chinese who was close to Jenny was spearheading a campaign by sharing the story (translated?) and the GFM with friends in the U.S. and China and perhaps Mexico. One of life's little mysteries!

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    8,647
    Quote Originally Posted by southlanecherry View Post
    But, how can JR even tell which one donation is from Chinese locals or Chinese Americans?
    Good question. Can anyone get inside the mind of JR? I assumed he might have been able to tell from information GFM provides about donors such as email addresses.

    https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-u...s-information-
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

    DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by southlanecherry View Post
    But, how can JR even tell which one donation is from Chinese locals or Chinese Americans?
    Ah, the million dollar questions all start with "How does JR know..." Seems like the HFJ page is just bustling these days according to him (between sightings and donations). Genuinely hope it leads somewhere.

    Thanks for your insight on this. I do wonder if the profile of so many cases at once has been responsible. I know I've gone through WS searching for my own hometowns out of curiosity. Could have sparked others to do the same.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeagle View Post
    I just don't get the secrecy about where she might have been seen.

    Why not just say she might have been seen at ____ in Feb, please get the word out to folks you know in that area for similar sightings.

    I'm also not sure how a potential sighting around seven months ago narrows down a search, she could have moved on to anywhere.
    Pure speculation: if this has anything to do with the trafficking theories, it could be that JR doesn't want to alert possible traffickers & have Jenny move on? Or he doesn't want to compromise Jenny's (or others') safety?

    I can think of another reason or two, but they're not very TOS friendly...
    *********
    Hooks up!

  9. #1209
    I just spent some time looking for possible recent news about Jenny's chase in Chinese media and unfortunately there still is nothin . But I came across the news article about the Embassy reporting possible sighting of Jenny in late May 2016. After re-reading it, I remembered the suspicion I had last year when I first read it, because the way it was written, everything just sounded so...."politically correct". I don't know how else I should put it so I translated a short paragraph from there:

    此外,使馆还出资聘请了西语翻译,陪同陈某的父母在各地活动。经过多方排查,墨警方提供了令人鼓舞的信息, 证明5月下旬陈某仍然在墨南部多地搭车旅行。得知情况后,陈某的家人倍感欣慰。使馆的搜寻工作也得到了墨西 哥温州商会金加池会长和中华会馆霍红梅女士的大力协助,在此向他们表示感谢!

    Translation: In addition, the embassy hired Spanish translators and accompanied Chen's parents to various regions. After conducting multiple investigations, the Mexican Police provided encouraging news, attesting that Chen was still hitchhiking in southern Mexico in late May. After receiving the news, Chen's parents were very happy and relieved. The search was assisted by Chairman Jia Chi Jin of Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce of Mexico and Chairman Hong Mei Huo from MexChina. The embassy would like to express their sincere gratitude towards them.

    ___________

    I don't know if anyone was aware that the information that Jenny was still traveling in May was actually provided by Mexican police, not Chinese Embassy?

    Jenny's parents felt "happy and relieved" after being told their daughter was still traveling in Mexico. Is that a natural reaction when you find out that your daughter has stopped all contact and gone off her itinerary in a country as dangerous as Mexico? Hm......

  10. #1210
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,512
    I always interpreted the story as the Mexican police gave the Chen family (via the embassy) this same information. I also always thought they lied just to make the Chen family go away.


  11. #1211
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,512
    Quote Originally Posted by southlanecherry View Post
    I just spent some time looking for possible recent news about Jenny's chase in Chinese media and unfortunately there still is nothin . But I came across the news article about the Embassy reporting possible sighting of Jenny in late May 2016. After re-reading it, I remembered the suspicion I had last year when I first read it, because the way it was written, everything just sounded so...."politically correct". I don't know how else I should put it so I translated a short paragraph from there:

    此外,使馆还出资聘请了西语翻译,陪同陈某的父母在各地活动。经过多方排查,墨警方提供了令人鼓舞的信息, 证明5月下旬陈某仍然在墨南部多地搭车旅行。得知情况后,陈某的家人倍感欣慰。使馆的搜寻工作也得到了墨西 哥温州商会金加池会长和中华会馆霍红梅女士的大力协助,在此向他们表示感谢!

    Translation: In addition, the embassy hired Spanish translators and accompanied Chen's parents to various regions. After conducting multiple investigations, the Mexican Police provided encouraging news, attesting that Chen was still hitchhiking in southern Mexico in late May. After receiving the news, Chen's parents were very happy and relieved. The search was assisted by Chairman Jia Chi Jin of Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce of Mexico and Chairman Hong Mei Huo from MexChina. The embassy would like to express their sincere gratitude towards them.
    ___________

    I don't know if anyone was aware that the information that Jenny was still traveling in May was actually provided by Mexican police, not Chinese Embassy?

    Jenny's parents felt "happy and relieved" after being told their daughter was still traveling in Mexico. Is that a natural reaction when you find out that your daughter has stopped all contact and gone off her itinerary in a country as dangerous as Mexico? Hm
    ......
    I want to expand on my response more deeply, so I'm posting again.

    I always believed the Mexican police gave the Chen family (via the embassy translator) the information that Jenny was still traveling. I did then, and still do now, also believe the Mexican police lied to the Chen family to make them go away. Like swatting away a pesky fly.

    Further, it's also my unwarranted and unfounded opinion that any information received from a Mexican PI contained lies, fabrications, exaggerations, and/or embellishments. I think the PI was given Jenny's last known location based on ATM attempts, asked around about her, then came up with the story he felt was least likely to be pursued, collected his payment then bailed. I rate my trust in a Mexican PI with the same confidence level that I have in the Mexican police. jmo

  12. #1212
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjm_qc View Post
    Pure speculation: if this has anything to do with the trafficking theories, it could be that JR doesn't want to alert possible traffickers & have Jenny move on? Or he doesn't want to compromise Jenny's (or others') safety?

    I can think of another reason or two, but they're not very TOS friendly...
    I am very interested to hear your other two reasons.

  13. #1213
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,512
    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    If Jenny is with someone she met along her way, I doubt that person will be any easier to find than Jenny. I'm curious, why did Jenny choose that as her American name? What does it mean to her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    It may have been chosen for her, but many chose their own. Here's a discussion of Anglo names Chinese use. It's pretty amusing at times.

    http://ask.metafilter.com/187443/How...our-Anglo-name
    Quote Originally Posted by rosesfromangels View Post
    Several of my chinese national friends have told me their english (to speak english) teachers pick their names.
    Quote Originally Posted by southlanecherry View Post
    Yes, you are right. When Chinese kids start taking English lessons at school, their English teacher usually gives them English names. This happened to me too. But many kids end up changing their names later to whatever they like, since it's not an official name and no legal document is bound to it. I ended up changing mine after I moved to the states for school.

    I saw a vid on Jenny's facebook earlier. Her friend called her Jennifer instead of Jenny. I wonder what she really goes by in real life, Jennifer or Jenny?
    If I recall, JR was Jenny's instructor, which is how they met. He then courted her (or she used him) and they came to America and married. Is that right?

    If he named her and now she has run off from him, I'd bank on it that she took her power back and renamed herself. This of course, is assuming she is still alive and voluntarily living somewhere awa from JR.

    I wonder what she'd name herself... assuming she is still in Mexico - because she loved it there.

  14. #1214
    A little off topic, but this reminds me of how Jenny and JR met - at "English Corner". So let me elaborate on this. English Corner is basically just a bunch of students voluntarily come together and exchange conversations in English. It is a way for Chinese students to practice their spoken English. I don't know about now, but back then when I was young, these things took place in parks or cafes. People usually don't know each other. I wouldn't say JR was Jenny's instructor. I bet he just went to these things with the hope of meeting Chinese girls.


    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    If I recall, JR was Jenny's instructor, which is how they met. He then courted her (or she used him) and they came to America and married. Is that right?

    If he named her and now she has run off from him, I'd bank on it that she took her power back and renamed herself. This of course, is assuming she is still alive and voluntarily living somewhere awa from JR.

    I wonder what she'd name herself... assuming she is still in Mexico - because she loved it there.

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    8,647
    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    If I recall, JR was Jenny's instructor, which is how they met. He then courted her (or she used him) and they came to America and married. Is that right?

    If he named her and now she has run off from him, I'd bank on it that she took her power back and renamed herself. This of course, is assuming she is still alive and voluntarily living somewhere awa from JR.

    I wonder what she'd name herself... assuming she is still in Mexico - because she loved it there.
    It doesn't seem that he was her teacher and would have named her. My recollection from an early article, linked below, is that they met at an informal gathering where Chinese could practice their English with Americans. These are very common, apparently. There is an article about these gatherings posted somewhere on the threads. She asked for his number and called him, and they went out. I think personally that she pursued him and persisted, even though he admitted in an early article that he is not an easy person to get along with. He was her ticket out of China and I think she did whatever she needed to do to get here. She even wrote on her blog about how it's not that difficult IIRC.

    So I think she already used the name "Jenny" when she met him. But she certainly could rename herself anything she wanted as it wasn't her legal name. And yes, it would be interesting to know what she would pick...if she still has a choice.

    http://komonews.com/news/local/seatt...trip-to-mexico
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

    DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased Canada - Lucy Hui Chen, 41, Montreal, QC, 19 Feb 2016
    By Wynnella in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2017, 12:31 AM
  2. Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2
    By tlcya in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1371
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 09:43 PM
  3. Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1
    By JerseyGirl in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1037
    Last Post: 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Tags for this Thread