1019 users online (209 members and 810 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I'm still having a hard time understanding how the first raft got stuck. In theory shouldn't it have pushed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcaro View Post
    How it happened.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/world/dream...pen-2016102618

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Thank you this helps to understand what happened it is just horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by guruagain View Post
    Dreamworld will not be allowed to open Friday according to this article. Police have insisted it remains closed.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-tourists.html
    I'm glad it isn't opening an extremely thorough investigation has to happen ASAP and all the rides at the park looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcaro View Post
    How it happened.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/world/dream...pen-2016102618

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Ahhhhh. So it wasnt the water pressure like I thought that pushed the raft onto the stationary raft. It was the conveyor belt.

Thanks for the pictures as it is clear to me now.

What is hard for people to understand is the back edge of the raft is what ended up going straight down into the water before it flipped . So it basically was doing a backflip.

Front edge goes up and over raft in front and back edge goes down into water as the raft does a backflip.

That conveyor belt must have been very forceful.

If only the stuck raft was not sitting there then this would not have happened. As soon as the pump failed then the ride conveyor belts should have had a safety switch to stop the conveyors. What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Safeguard View Post
    I have been trying to envision how the two children were completely unharmed...No report really saying where the children landed. I think I read one that said they were thrown "clear", but thrown where? Unless they landed on a raft coming up behind them, I don't see where they could have landed that would have resulted in them being completely uninjured...

At first I had a hard time envisioning the entire accident. I was thinking it "flipped" as in "flipped right over onto the riders, hense the drownings, I have a better idea now of what happened, but if two adults were ejected sideways, and crushed by the machinery , and the two who were trapped underneath drown, who was sitting in the torn up seats? I would think those people would have been crushed , by the look of things...were those seats occupied by the two children? It doesn't look to me, as if anyone in those seats would have died by "drowning" alone, surly they would have suffered massive injury?

Can't really get a clear picture in my mind of where everyone ended up after the crash. People were even reporting a woman was "dangling by one foot" dangling from where?

Also, if a raft was stuck, did no one notice it? I am thinking people just got off that stuck raft, as it was on the exit platform...How long was it just sitting there stuck?
    BBM

This report says that the two children were thrown into the water.

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/425...agedy/?cs=2452
    Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Brian Codd said the two children, aged 10 and 12, were thrown into the water but survived.
    IMO
    Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I saw a report yesterday that said when the raft tipped over, the two children bobbed up but the adults were not seen again. Oh and that was shown on the cctv.
    Also said that the girl swam to safety.
    MY OPINION ONLY

Just call me Tootsie

"A scaffolder employed by Dreamworld has been slammed for his insensitive Facebook posts he shared just hours after four tourists died on a ride.

Four people tragically lost their lives on the Thunder River Rapids ride just after 2pm on Tuesday and hours later Benn Rattray uploaded a picture of the ride with the caption: 'Oops I knew I forgot something'.

'On a positive note. At least they died having fun,' he wrote.

Mr Rattray's Facebook friend commented on the post saying they knew the victims and 'was not laughing'."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4OKhD644b

He needs to be fired with immediate effect. What a disgusting vile comment to post.

Quote Originally Posted by gregjrichards View Post
    "A scaffolder employed by Dreamworld has been slammed for his insensitive Facebook posts he shared just hours after four tourists died on a ride.

Four people tragically lost their lives on the Thunder River Rapids ride just after 2pm on Tuesday and hours later Benn Rattray uploaded a picture of the ride with the caption: 'Oops I knew I forgot something'.

Mr Rattray's Facebook friend commented on the post saying they knew the victims and 'was not laughing'."

He needs to be fired with immediate effect. What a disgusting vile comment to post.

Yes, totally disgusting, cruel, uncaring, insensitive, crass.....what a jacka$$. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by gregjrichards View Post

Classy, right there.

I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Yep, some people's words are way beyond inappropriate!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-2...d-joke/7972734
    Dreamworld tragedy: Hobart radio presenter Anna Dare suspended, station sorry for off-colour joke
    The comments came during the 7HO FM breakfast program's secret sound segment.When the crunching sound was played on air, presenter Anna Dare asked: "It's not getting stuck in a conveyer belt at a theme park is it … too soon?"
    Her co-presenter Mick Newell groaned, prompting Ms Dare to respond: "That's what it sounds like to me when I first heard it, that's the first thing I thought of, I don't like it, it's just a yucky sound."
    The station's owner Grant Broadcasters confirmed in a statement the presenter had been suspended.
    Last edited by symbah; 10-27-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    IMO
    Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TootsieFootsie View Post
    I saw a report yesterday that said when the raft tipped over, the two children bobbed up but the adults were not seen again. Oh and that was shown on the cctv.
    Also said that the girl swam to safety.
    Thanks. It must be harder to envision with all the water drained. I also read about one of the women's husband "diving" in to try and get to his wife, but also couldn't see how that took place.

I've never seen the ride before, so was using Disney's Kali River Rapids to try and work it out in my mind, and I just see so many opportunities missed, so I know I must not be *getting* it right here..

For instance, now it seems as if the raft did flip completely over, but the illustration did not show that part? Also, if the kids went under and resurfaced, why were the adults not able to do the same? Yes the adults were caught in the works, but how were the children able to free themselves?

At Kali there are a ton of staff dedicated help people exit the raft, how was it that no one saw that raft as a potential problem. Did they just assume the raft behind it would push it out of the way? There are a number of reports of past incidences of rafts tipping over on this ride.

I also read staff was attempting to help the victims while waiting for aid to arrive, what were they able/trying to do?
    Last edited by Safeguard; 10-27-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tssiemer View Post
    I'm still having a hard time understanding how the first raft got stuck. In theory shouldn't it have pushed it?

My sense is it was all about angles - if it would have hit the other stuck one like where the rubber was I think it would have moved. But the one with them on it was at an angle and "higher" up so it hit the rigid chairs instead of the rubber part. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    Ahhhhh. So it wasnt the water pressure like I thought that pushed the raft onto the stationary raft. It was the conveyor belt.

Thanks for the pictures as it is clear to me now.

What is hard for people to understand is the back edge of the raft is what ended up going straight down into the water before it flipped . So it basically was doing a backflip.

Front edge goes up and over raft in front and back edge goes down into water as the raft does a backflip.

That conveyor belt must have been very forceful.

If only the stuck raft was not sitting there then this would not have happened. As soon as the pump failed then the ride conveyor belts should have had a safety switch to stop the conveyors. What a disaster.

It did (posted earlier - the sensor did not go off it was busted- with all the water level stuff you would think someone would have noticed that the sensor was not working

Unreal

Here os the 15 page document asking for the report on all the violations months ago

https://www.oic.qld.gov.au/__data/as...w-28-07-16.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Safeguard View Post
    Thanks. It must be harder to envision with all the water drained. I also read about one of the women's husband "diving" in to try and get to his wife, but also couldn't see how that took place.

I've never seen the ride before, so was using Disney's Kali River Rapids to try and work it out in my mind, and I just see so many opportunities missed, so I know I must not be *getting* it right here..

For instance, now it seems as if the raft did flip completely over, but the illustration did not show that part? Also, if the kids went under and resurfaced, why were the adults not able to do the same? Yes the adults were caught in the works, but how were the children able to free themselves?

At Kali there are a ton of staff dedicated help people exit the raft, how was it that no one saw that raft as a potential problem. Did they just assume the raft behind it would push it out of the way? There are a number of reports of past incidences of rafts tipping over on this ride.

I also read staff was attempting to help the victims while waiting for aid to arrive, what were they able/trying to do?

Lots of good questions. Wanted to piggy back on the bolded part.

"Did they just assume the raft behind it would push it out of the way?"

I think that is what probably mostly happens whenever there is any sort of backup of rafts so I dont think anyone realized the danger of having that empty raft sitting in the way.

What really bugs me though is the minute the pump failed then those darn conveyor belts should be automatically stopped. The whole ride is too archaic and should have automatic safety mechanisms built into it like the shutoff of conveyor belts.

Because what if there was no water in a spot and a raft came crashing into an empty section then it would be just as bad as what happened or worse.
    Last edited by Hatfield; 10-28-2016 at 12:30 AM.

"Embattled Dreamworld boss Deborah Thomas has finally visited the park as she apologised for her poor handling of the tragedy that claimed four people's lives.

Ms Thomas - CEO of Ardent Leisure, which owns Dreamworld - fought back tears as she arrived at the Gold Coast park and said she had tried to 'do the right thing'.

The under-fire chief executive visited a floral tribute to Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozbeh Araghi and Cindy Low, who died three days ago when a malfunction on the Thunder Rapids ride caused their raft to flip.

Her visit came after she donated her $167,500 cash bonus to the Australian Red Cross, meaning she earned less this year than her predecessor in the role - who did not work a single day."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4OLpxQLpL

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast