GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Jury Selection Begins in Capobianco Murder Trial
Posted May 23, 2016

1458524_646586072080685_6323848319806635311_n.jpg

link

The trial for a man accused of murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend gets underway with jury selection today in Second Circuit Court.

Steven Capobianco faces second degree murder and arson charges in the death of 27-year-old Charli Scott, who was five months pregnant when she was reported missing in February of 2014.

Media thread

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

I have on loose pants that I washed, put in my closet afterwards and am now wearing after 3 days in my closet. I've had them on for 4 hours at home.
Assuming there is not a hair that got loose and attached itself, is my DNA on these pants? And if so, is that DNA dead skin cells or what?

I'm a total layperson, but I'm going to take a crack at your questions! My understanding is that yes, your DNA is on those pants and it's likely from skin cells. There may also be DNA from other family members there, whether from direct contact (i.e. they hung the pants up for you) or from secondary transfer (you touched a doorknob that so-and-so touched previously, transferring so-and-so's DNA to your fingers. When you touched the pants, you transferred your own DNA as well as so-and-so's.)

Nikki, the layers make sense...at least for me who truly doesn't understand how DNA transfers.

I get bodily fluids, that's easy, blood, snot, semen, saliva... Does that include sweat? Is sweat an easy DNA collector?

How long does DNA stay on clothing? For example, the washed pants I take out of my closet, do they have remnants of my DNA from the last time I wore them?

A very good question and not one I know the answer to. My hypothesis is that in the absence of a cleanser that can degrade DNA, such as bleach, that DNA could survive a wash -- perhaps even to be redistributed among all the garments in the load?

I wonder who did SC's laundry?

Thanks Christina! So the pants with Charli's blood on them in the trillions was not exposed to the elements enough to degrade that sample. You'd think those pants, minus the pocket hair that is not admissible, would also still have Steven's DNA on them in an amount more than a low and inconclusive 185 if DNA transfers that easily. I will make an effort to understand this better.
Its tough with a job, children, and every day adult responsibilities to completely focus on a perplexing topic.

DNA readily available to us would be mucus, saliva, semen, cervical discharge, hair, blood and skin tissue like a scratch beyond your top layer of skin (dandruff). Our saliva has DNA from the cells shed from our cheeks and gums.

Hypothesizing here but if Grandmother is fighting a chronic illness and coughs on the fresh laundry or the laundry basket then I am pretty sure her DNA would be transferred. In healthcare we call that cross contamination and work hard to prevent it from happening.

Also, most reputable big box stores do not allow you to return used airbeds, sleeping bags or mattresses for hygienic reasons. You sweat and drool in your sleep as your body renews and heals itself. You certainly don't want to sleep on top of someone else's secretions. Walmart in Kahului allows tourists to return used bedding and mattress pads. Buyer beware!

Where was I going with this?

Thanks Christina! So the pants with Charli's blood on them in the trillions was not exposed to the elements enough to degrade that sample. You'd think those pants, minus the pocket hair that is not admissible, would also still have Steven's DNA on them in an amount more than a low and inconclusive 185 if DNA transfers that easily. I will make an effort to understand this better.
Its tough with a job, children, and every day adult responsibilities to completely focus on a perplexing topic.

It's hard to follow for sure. I struggle to understand how any meaningful DNA can be identified from the overwhelming amount of noise that must be there. Cases in which DNA has played a huge role often involve DNA in places where it has no innocent reason for being there.

DNA readily available to us would be mucus, saliva, semen, cervical discharge, hair, blood and skin tissue like a scratch beyond your top layer of skin (dandruff). Our saliva has DNA from the cells shed from our cheeks and gums.

Hypothesizing here but if Grandmother is fighting a chronic illness and coughs on the fresh laundry or the laundry basket then I am pretty sure her DNA would be transferred. In healthcare we call that cross contamination and work hard to prevent it from happening.

Also, most reputable big box stores do not allow you to return used airbeds, sleeping bags or mattresses for hygienic reasons. You sweat and drool in your sleep as your body renews and heals itself. You certainly don't want to sleep on top of someone else's secretions. Walmart in Kahului allows tourists to return used bedding and mattress pads. Buyer beware!

Where was I going with this?
I've been traumatized enough by reading here that second hand store don't wash their donations before offering them for sale. ;-)

It's hard to follow for sure. I struggle to understand how any meaningful DNA can be identified from the overwhelming amount of noise that must be there. Cases in which DNA has played a huge role often involve DNA in places where it has no innocent reason for being there.

The Sierra LaMar case is a good example of that. Her DNA was found in the suspect's car, and the suspect's DNA was found on her clothing. No body has been recovered. The case goes to trial in January 2017.

This is clearly not a DNA case, unless the judge changes his mind about allowing the one incriminating piece of DNA evidence that they do have.

I've been traumatized enough by reading here that second hand store don't wash their donations before offering them for sale. ;-)

Ah, but they do (at least goodwill does) spray a so-called "freshener" on the clothes so they smell clean to customers. :sick:

They have sent the jury home. I don't think they are back again for a week. Something to do with another case the state have to work on. Mr Apo was NOT happy with another wasted day. Feels like the court is disrespecting him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have sent the jury home. I don't think they are back again for a week. Something to do with another case the state have to work on. Mr Apo was NOT happy with another wasted day. Feels like the court is disrespecting him.

Is that what Apo,told Cardoza? I think Apo is being paid a pittance for this trial.

What is happening with the trial today?

Today Rivera's witness (who Apo called a career criminal') for some reason, apparently due to drug court, couldn't testify today, sending Apo off on a rant. Most of the convo about that was at sidebar and it was difficult to tell what the reason is but judge said it will take some time to work out, so hopefully he'll take the stand next week.

The judge said a juror has a vacation scheduled for 10/26 through 10/31, they will be back in session on Nov. 1st and then another juror has a vacation scheduled 11/07-12/06 so another long break coming.

I don't know how the family is tolerating this lengthy, delay-filled trial, I really feel for them.

So do I, GeeVee. What a twisted and tortuous dark cavern they've been thrown into. Their spirit is so inspirational.

A month long vacation scheduled for a juror? How come that juror wasn't excused? So we're looking at Christmas or New Year's before the trial is wrapped up??

I wonder if Rivera's witness is SC's brother? I wouldn't say he is a career criminal but he has his share of judicial matters to contend with.

A month long vacation scheduled for a juror? How come that juror wasn't excused? So we're looking at Christmas or New Year's before the trial is wrapped up??

11/7 to 12/6 vacation? If I was another juror, I'd be aggravated. Too long to try to remember all the facts presented. This is surprising.

I don't think anyone planned on this trial taking so long. Maybe back when it started, November seemed like a long time in the future. At the rate this is going, it could take a lot longer. I sure hope it's wrapped up by the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2016/10/co-worker capobianco-talked-about-killing-again/

WAILUKU — A couple of months after his pregnant ex-girlfriend went missing, murder suspect Steven Capobianco made a comment about having to “keep myself from killing someone again,” a former co-worker testified Monday.

[...] There was a mark of some sort, a cut or a burn, across the top of his hands,” Palicki said. “He said he was helping a friend work on a car. A window fell on his hands, something like that.”

Palicki said that the mark he saw on Capobianco’s hands was depicted in a police photo of the backs of Capobianco’s hands.

[...]

Palicki said there was one serrated knife with a 14-inch blade and rubber handle that was shared by the bread and cake sides of the bakery.

[...]

He said the bakery “finally got a knife.”

“What happened to the old one?” Rivera asked.

Palicki began to say “it disappeared” before defense attorney Jon Apo objected to the question.

[...]...cut marks on the jawbone indicated a serrated blade, such as a steak knife, had been used.

Police found the jawbone fragments in a wooded area down a dirt road to Nuaailua Bay

[...]

Ashley Sylva, who worked as a cashier at Mana Foods until Oct. 1, 2015, and said she considered Capobianco “one of my best friends.”

[...]

Sylva knew Moreira “Mo” Monsalve, a 46-year-old Maui woman who went missing Jan. 12, 2014, and had talked a few times about her disappearance with Capobianco.

[...] ‘What do you think happened to her?’ ” Sylva said. “He said if it was him he would just throw her off the side of the cliff.”

The trial was scheduled to resume today.

Is that what Apo,told Cardoza? I think Apo is being paid a pittance for this trial.

He was not happy. He was complaining a lot. The judge wasn't impressed with his behaviour.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back