CA CA - Harlan 'Tod' Sutherland, 24, Westport, 1 Aug 1987

burblestein

Reaction score
Harlan Tod Sutherland was the random victim of a vicious career criminal who shot him near Westport CA in late July 1987. Robert Sutton was so terrifying, it took until 2013 for someone to supply LE with the info that he was the killer.

Anderson Valley Advertiser, 20 September 2013: http://theava.com/archives/23929

While Robert Sutton was never convicted to this homicide, retribution still came into his life. He died of AIDS while imprisoned. Here's hoping he slowly rotted to death.

I was a fellow geology student with Tod at the University of Texas when he was killed in 1987. His was a wonderful person and a dedicated student, and his murder had a staggering effect on the student and faculty communities at both Austin and UC Berkeley, wherehe was a undergraduate. His parents, who lived in the Bay Area, were tireless in seeking out his killer and finding justice for many years, until the case went cold. The Mendocino County Sheriff's office and Bruce Anderson of the Anderson Valley News also kept the case alive.

None of Tod's friends forgot him or the tragedy of his loss, and it was a great relief when news that his killing had finally been solved and the details came to light. I understand Mendocino County law enforcement announced their conclusion in 2003, but I didn't find out until Anderson Valley News reprint of the 2003 story got picked up on Google Search in 2013.

At one time, LE thought the murders of Tod and of Clyde Stanley might have been committed by the same individual. Both Tod and Clyde were found along the same stretch of highway between Fort Bragg and Westport CA. Both had been shot in the head. The remains of both were dumped on a beach. The two of them had been murdered during 1987.

Ukiah (CA) Daily Journal, 27 November 1992: https://www.newspapers.com/image/879523

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back