VA VA - Petersburg, BlkFem 68-78, UP2227, poss named Wilma, poss stepson Otis from NJ, Nov'92

I was searching the web and I found a video for this Jane Doe. I wish there was an update or any leads for her. RIP:(

WARNING there is a pm pic in the video

[video=youtube;Y4Tlvc5CnF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Tlvc5CnF0[/video]

"She was wrapped carefully in a blanket. The body was abandoned with a note saying that no one could afford to bury her. The note said that the woman was 78 years old and that her name was Wilma, but did not provide a last name. It said that she lived in Mebane, North Carolina, near Durham, and had been visiting a sick friend in Petersburg.
The note claimed she had no family except a stepson, named Otis, somewhere in New Jersey. Police in Petersburg and North Carolina have had no luck in finding Otis or anyone who knows Wilma.
The note may have been an attempt to mislead authorities.
The state medical examiner ruled that the victim had died of a heart attack."

I hope the note was honest, I hope someone is not out there wondering what happened to their mom or grandma.

A quick look on DoeNetwork came up with only 3 remote possibilities:

Almeta Syed

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/934dfca.html
Missing Since: March 6 1987
DOB: March 1 1912
Pros: "moles on face" pictures aren't clear as to where, could be consistent.Cons: height is 5'5 (4 inches too tall), age is 3 years out, notes dentures whereas UID does not

Elizabeth Walston Godwin
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2894dfnc.html
Missing Since: May 22 1988
DOB: May 11 1911
Pros: North Carolina link, Cons: 5'5 is 4 inches out, 4 years out on age, no note of the papilloma, but first photo of this MP may have a dark patch in the same area?

Katie Dell Kemp
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/558dfga.html
Missing Since: April 26 1990
DOB: August 28 1917
Pros: within age range Cons: 5'4 is 3 inches out, weight is very out 100+lbs. she also required medication

Has anyone tried using Ancestry to find a Wilma that fits this description?

I'm not particularly great at using it, but I found a record for someone (who I will not say the name of) with the same name as in the note who was born in Mebane and also would have been the same age as the UID in 1992. She is listed as having passed away in 1995, however, and there is an obituary for her, so I'm assuming that she probably isn't our Doe. I still find it pretty interesting how much of it matched up with the note. I can't find any record of the person in question having a son named Otis, though.

Has anyone tried using Ancestry to find a Wilma that fits this description?

I'm not particularly great at using it, but I found a record for someone (who I will not say the name of) with the same name as in the note who was born in Mebane and also would have been the same age as the UID in 1992. She is listed as having passed away in 1995, however, and there is an obituary for her, so I'm assuming that she probably isn't our Doe. I still find it pretty interesting how much of it matched up with the note. I can't find any record of the person in question having a son named Otis, though.
It said she was 78 and from North Carolina. That matches this woman, but it also says authorities think it was to trick them so it may have been a ploy. There was a Wilma Elizabeth Ireland that died in North Carolina in 1924... possibly as a child but cant find the age or town...
upload_2020-1-17_23-6-9.png
upload_2020-1-17_23-16-25.png

Last edited:
It said she was 78 and from North Carolina. That matches this woman, but it also says authorities think it was to trick them so it may have been a ploy. There was a Wilma Elizabeth Ireland that died in North Carolina in 1924... possibly as a child but cant find the age or town...
View attachment 226407
View attachment 226408
I guess you're right with regards to the "ploy" thing, I do find it interesting how closely it matches the known details of this case. Though the obituary might rule it out, maybe it was someone they knew? It's weird.

Also, with regard to WEI, she was a child, yes, and passed away in a town approximately halfway across the state from Mebane.

Something about this doesn't seem right. I used to think that she died elsewhere and that whoever was with her dumped her, but there is just ONE little detail that makes this very strange.

The road she was found on is very close to Southside Regional Medical Center - someone could have been driving her to the hospital. If that is true, why was she wrapped in a blanket? Maybe the people driving her to the hospital covered her up in the blanket to keep her warm during the trip? Yet there is still one question...

Why was she dumped along a road that is part of a known route for ambulances?

Something about this doesn't seem right. I used to think that she died elsewhere and that whoever was with her dumped her, but there is just ONE little detail that makes this very strange.

The road she was found on is very close to Southside Regional Medical Center - someone could have been driving her to the hospital. If that is true, why was she wrapped in a blanket? Maybe the people driving her to the hospital covered her up in the blanket to keep her warm during the trip? Yet there is still one question...

Why was she dumped along a road that is part of a known route for ambulances?

IMO, the body was left in a place where it would be found quickly by medical personnel who would transport the body to the morgue.
MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back