Chicago -American Airlines 767 engine catches fire during takeoff roll

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Moments before takeoff

[video=cnn;tv/2016/10/28/plane-catches-fire-at-chicago-ohare-airport-lead-young-live.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/ohare-aircraft-incident/index.html?adkey=bn[/video]

20 minor injuries 170 aboard CNN

uncontained engine failure by blown tire ingested into engine??

Miami bound

20 minor injuries 170 aboard CNN

Engine failure or blown tire

Or blown tire ingested into engine

Miami bound

My BIL was on the flight. He happens to be a pilot, himself, but was not working this flight. My sis is in major freak out mode. He was not injured.

My BIL was on the flight. He happens to be a pilot, himself, but was not working this flight. My sis is in major freak out mode. He was not injured.

oh my goodness --what is BIL? freaky to have two jetliners do the same thing within hours of each other FL Luaderdale had one earlier today

THAT is one heck of a quick evacuation - the working engine had not even spooled down ..............

20 people had been transported to local hospitals with minor injuries including bruising, scrapes and ankle injuries sustained in the evacuation of the plane.

American Airlines flight 383 bound for Miami was forced to abort takeoff at about 2:35 p.m. The pilot heard a thump and thought a tire had blown. The air traffic control tower alerted the pilot to flames. A large fire quickly consumed the plane's right-side engine and wing. Flight crew immediately stopped the plane and
evacuated it using the inflatable slides on the left hand side of the aircraft.

CNN

Glad your BIL is ok Momoffourboys.

I really don't understand why people are standing right beside a plane on fire full of fuel that could explode at any second taking photos and videos or just standing watching. You would think people would go down the slide and run as fast as your legs could take you away from the danger. It's just absolutely baffling how foolish people can be.

Glad your BIL is ok Momoffourboys.

I really don't understand why people are standing right beside a plane on fire full of fuel that could explode at any second taking photos and videos or just standing watching. You would think people would go down the slide and run as fast as your legs could take you away from the danger. It's just absolutely baffling how foolish people can be.

I thought same thing when I first saw video hello? Big plane. big orange things called flames

You made it a 100 feet l lots and lots of fuel on board

RUN!

NTSB says investigators have recovered about 90% of the American Airlines flight 383 engine's stage 2 disk following fire at Chicago airport ...... accelerating for takeoff from Chicago, when the aircraft blew its right set of tires, which led to the right engine erupting into flames (however, American Airlines has released a statement saying mechanical problems with the right engine were to blame.

NTSB says a piece of the engine disk of American Airlines flight 383 was found in UPS warehouse about 2,920 feet away from site of fire at Chicago airport

NTSB on fire aboard American Airlines flight 383 in Chicago: Examination of engine revealed that stage 2 disk of high pressure turbine failed

google images

Kinda like this:

520004dd9d202-78-03.jpg

[h=1]American Airlines Plane Fire Caused by ‘Uncontained Engine Failure’[/h]
[FONT=&quot]a disk of the engine had failed, causing parts to be blown out of the engine during takeoff. [/FONT]"uncontained engine failure," in which engine parts break off and are spewed outside the engine, the official said. The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the incident and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The danger of such a failure is that engine pieces effectively become shrapnel and can cause extensive damage to the aircraft.

said everyone on the right side of the aircraft jumped from their seats and moved to the left side.
"People are yelling, 'Open the door! Open the door!' Everyone's screaming and jumping on top of each other to open the door," Ahmed said. "Within that time, I think it was seven seconds, there was now smoke in the plane and the fire is right up against the windows, and it's melting the windows."

updated

earlier FAA statement said the plane had blown a tire, but officials later deleted that information from the statement.

Uncontained engine failures are unusual thanks to improvements in designs and the metallurgy. There are many possible causes, including overheating, runway debris or large birds that get sucked into the engine or parts that break when they wear out but aren't replaced during maintenance checks.
Tom Walsh, an airline pilot who also works as a security consultant, said that engines that break apart can be especially serious if the parts end up cutting fuel lines or damaging other vital components of the aircraft.

The giant blades inside the engines are revolving at about 13,000 rpm, he said. When one comes loose, it's like firing a bullet,

The aircraft involved in Friday's incident was built in 2003 and is among American's youngest planes of that model. According to data from FlightGlobal, an aviation news and industry data company, at the start of this year the plane had flown more than 47,000 hours and made more than 7,500 cycles — each takeoff and landing is one cycle. American is flying 767 aircraft that have more than 100,000 hours and 18,000 cycles.

http://wsgcradio.com/american-airlines-plane-fire-caused-by-uncontained-engine-failure/
http://www.miningjournal.net/page/c...--serious-engine-failure.html?isap=1&nav=5015
http://www.tbo.com/ap/national/piec...e-ap_national1c95fc112dae4b76b2a74aabbbcf6b9a

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]161 passengers and nine crew

[/FONT]
http://wsgcradio.com/american-airlines-plane-fire-caused-by-uncontained-engine-failure/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back