1227 users online (211 members and 1016 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Oooh, great idea, Shadow! I'm always so curious as to who is behind all of these brilliant and heartfelt posts in the cold cases section. I'm Anne, originally from Tx but now living in Oregon, where I'm currently working as personal assistant to my husband and 1 year old son. In my former life I worked in psychiatry as a nurse practitioner - one day I shall return, because I really do love and miss it! When not doing exciting tasks like laundry or vacuuming, I love to explore and hike the woods behind our house with our dog. I don't remember how I came to WS, but I spend waaay too much time here. I've been interested in unsolved crimes since I was a kid, repeatedly checking out a book about unsolved mysteries from the elementary school library. I really do appreciate all the work and thought that all fellow WSers put into this and other forums!

Good Morning,

I haven't ventured over to the Cold Case forum yet, but had to step up and say how nice it is to read about all of you interesting posters. I second Mysteriew's welcome to the newbies, and like I always say, you are all Web Sleuthers now! LOL YaYa

One thing I like to do is approach an open case as though it were a cold case. Going back to the grunt basics and re-examining evidence, persons and information in the case. It was after the TV show Cold Case started that I realized how valuable a method this can be in putting 2 + 2 together to arrive at a probable assumption as to what really happened.

Scandi

Thanks for stopping by, Scandi! When things get a little out of control farther up the board, you're always welcome to stop in and discuss things here!

I am retired, just finished building a new house, and am interested in storytelling and writing with a few articles published in major magazines to my credit. I come from a long line of LE and in another life I was a sheriff and ran an armored car service, but not at the same time. LOL.

My interest, the Connie Smith case. A was ten-years-old girl who walked away from a summer camp in Connecticut, July 1952. So far, no reason why she left camp that day, it was but only a few days before she was to return home with her mother. As with many cold cases, this case takes twist and turns that no fiction writer could think up. The newest twist: Arizona unidentified remains, once compared to Connie Smith in 1962 but not conclusively proven, can not be located for new DNA testing. It highlights the need to uncover, record, list and test identified remains now entombed across the nation.

With the Boulder Jane Doe case getting some attention and the popularity of Cold Case files on televisions, it is my hope that we can work to uncover information that will help identify and bring closure home to families still searching for loved ones.

Just a question for Meaghan. Is the Charley Project named after little Charley Ross who was kidnapped in 1874 and never found? I just read about the case, which was mentioned in a news story I was reading from 1915. I was doing more research on Dorothy Arnold, and her disappearance was compared to that of Charley Ross. So I looked up Charley Ross. A very sad case. I was just curious.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Hi, my name is Karl (gee, who would have guessed) and I'm an IT security consultant based in Portland, ME but currently on a long term assignment in Quebec City, Canada. I am divorced, no children and being on the road a lot does not allow for pets in my life. In my line of work lonely night shifts are the norm but not being the hermit type I found that the Net can fill some of my socializing needs. I work with computer networks so I can access the Net without neglecting my duties... or so I tell myself.

It's the Lynn Moran case that brought me here first a few months ago. Moran was that young ballet dancer who had vanished from downtown Portland (ME) and was thought to have been kidnapped until her body was found in the harbor some weeks later. In her case it was determined that she had accidentally drowned and foul play was ruled out but other cases I found on this forum have caught my attention. I have been interested in true crime ever since I was a teen (I am 42 now) and a close female friend of mine was the victim of a heinous crime.

At first it was personal and I just wanted to understand what drives some human beings to behave so destructively without regard for the consequences of their actions on other individuals. But soon I found myself more and more drawn to one aspect of true crime: cold cases, those instances where "the system" fails to solve a case, be it failing to find the perpetrator(s) or even failing to determine if a crime had actually occured. I have always been attracted to mysteries and the challenge that solving them poses.

Can I play too? I like to come here and read about the old cases. I got interested in true crime when I was really young. My grandma used to have those true crime magazines laying around and I would get bored and read them, and loved the danger, excitement and mystery, not to mention the sadness that they had. I came to websleuths during the Danielle Van Dam saga, beginning when she went missing. My son is her age, and I was devistated. I have been here ever since. I am 37, been married for 14 years and have two children. I am a stay at home mom, and a military wife. I have lived in OH, MA, AK, and CA, and soon to be NC. I have been a student for the past 4 years, and will be getting my associates degree in the Spring, and transfer to ECSU next fall where I will get a degree in speech pathology, then will have to complete two more years for my master's degree. I want to work with children with speech problems. For fun I like to read, sew, cook, play with my dog, and just hang out doing nothing at all!

BTW I have read Matt Birkbeck's book on Sharon Marshall, and I am also interested in the missing Sodder children. My grandma that got me into crime was from Fayette!

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmom
    Can I play too? . . .
    Sure you can! Welcome.
    And welcome to all the new members.

Hi My name is MJ I am from Canada I have a degree in sociology concentration in crime and deviance and another degree in criminology. Needless to say I am very interested in cold cases and missing persons cases

Morning/Afternoon All,

My name is Suzanne and I live outside of Atlanta. I'm married to the love of my life and we have 2 children, 14 & 8. I am a paralegal...all types of law. My interests are cold cases, children's rights activism, gardening, exercise and reading...when I'm not busy with my family.
    "Crackin' cases & Raisin' kids"

Hi, My name is Kyra. I am married to a wonderful man, I have 2 wonderful daughters, and one in Heaven. I have 2 darling stepkids, who are both grown and have families of their own. I also have a small zoo...2 dogs, a cat, 7 Degus, and our horse a 12 year old AQHA gelding. (I am not happy without lots of four legged furry friends around me)
    I have been reading this forum for about a week before I joined, and I really like it.
    Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Hi all

My name is Tab. I'm another native Texan who just moved to the East Coast last year. I'm a newspaper reporter/editor and have been into true crime since a very young age as both of my folks work in law enforcement. I am most interested in cold cases; trying to gather pieces of a puzzle and fit them together appeals to me, as well as finding a name for the unidentified and seeking justice for all.

I have two "children," both of whom are covered in fur and spoiled beyond belief. I basically spend my free time reading, writing and hanging at the beach.

shelsearay

Hello to all of you. I am here because of the disappearance of my husband's family members in 1974. His sister, her 4 year old daughter and 10 month old son went missing, and have never been heard from since. We're currently waiting on a DNA test against a body found "washed out of the hills" in 1981. It could be my husband's sister. You can see the summary on the Cold Case Freda Denman. I'm a 50 year old grandmother of 6. My second husband and I have an addiction to sports cars. Our "child" is a Jack/Rat (Jack Russell and Rat Terrier mix). My sister and I have worked our case for over 5 years. My sister used to work for a private eye in Texas. She had access to some very good investigative tools. Our story is quite involved with ex-cons, Alacatraz, quasi-churches, and we'll no doubt end up writing our own book, because it would be impossible to repeat all the information we have accumulated. Along the way I have met some outstanding individuals through the Doe Network, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, The Carol Sund Foundation and here on Websleuths.

Quote Originally Posted by shelsearay
    Hello to all of you. I'm a 50 year old grandmother of 6. My second husband and I have an addiction to sports cars.
    Andshe drives a new 350Z. You're the coolest, S.

Need for speed

Yes, my "need for speed" sometimes extends to my mouth. . . . gets me in all kinds of trouble. I've also been known to unintentionally send e-mail back to the sender along with the disparaging remarks I'd made about them that I thought was being sent on to my sister. Let's see, there is the convict that wondered why I said something about being full of ........ There was the client I told my boss was wacked. That became an exhibit in a lawsuit the wacko filed. Some days I get a little hyper.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast