Recovered/Located U.s. Womans Supposed Long-dead Husband Found Alive And Well In Florida

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...-husband-found-alive-and-well-in-florida.html
For more than a decade, Indiana resident Linda Iseler had assumed Richard Hoagland — who had mysteriously vanished after 11 years of marriage — was dead.
attachment.php

That all changed this summer when Iseker received a phone call from detective Anthony Cardillo of the Pasco County Sheriff’s Department in Florida, according to ABC News.

“He asked me if I knew who Richard Hoagland was, and I said, ‘Yes, that’s my ex-husband,’ ” Iseler said. “He said, ‘We have him in custody.’ ”
After abandoning his family in 1993, Hoagland moved to Florida, where he constructed an entirely new existence from scratch.
Police say he started by stealing the death certificate and adopting the identity of a man named Terry Jude Symansky, a fisherman who died in 1991.
News about Hoagland’s arrest broke in July, but his ex-wife and the investigator who uncovered his true identity have recently spoken out on ABC’s 20/20.

Attachments

• richard-hoagland.jpg
    richard-hoagland.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 234
[video=youtube;h7gL4c9d8ic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gL4c9d8ic[/video]

What a coward to walk out on two young sons. I hope there are some financial repercussions for failing to support his children.

And I guess another good thing about interest in genealogy is making it harder to steal dead persons id's. I'm glad the real Terry's family finally had the courage to report it.

Reminded of comedian,Roseanne Barr's response when asked if she was sorry that she was now a divorcee, and Rosie answered that she only regretted not being a widow!

I think if my dh did this to me/our children, id surely be tempted to put him 6 foot under!!

Reminded of comedian,Roseanne Barr's response when asked if she was sorry that she was now a divorcee, and Rosie answered that she only regretted not being a widow!
It seems this man's wife in FL became a widow when she married him since Richard Hoagland had been declared dead, and the man whose name he was using, Terry Symansky, was officially dead. :thinking: Either way you look at it, she married a dead man. Eek! :eek:

How shocking, too, to discover that your relative got married 4 years after he died!:waitasec:

25 years after he abandoned his family, Ancestry.com search found him. Now he owes them $2M

Douglas Hoagland was in court looking at the father who walked out 25 years ago.

Douglas was 6 years old when he saw his father last. The family was living in a five-bedroom home on several acres in Fishers with a speed boat docked in Geist Reservoir. Douglas and his brother had full bellies and everything they could want.

Without warning, though, Richard Hoagland shed that life like a snake sheds skin. He abandoned his Fishers family, and over the next two decades while they struggled, he remarried, bought property and fathered another son using2 a name he stole from a dead man.

https://www.heraldnet.com/nation-world/decades-ago-he-abandoned-his-family-assumed-a-new-identity/

In 1993, Richard Hoagland seemed to be living the good life. He had a young wife and two sons, Matthew and Douglas. Business was good enough at his insurance company to pay for a five-bedroom house outside Indianapolis, a speedboat tied up at a nearby lake and a closet stuffed with designer suits.

Then he went AWOL.

On Fed. 10, Hoagland told his wife he was going to the hospital. When she called the emergency room, her husband wasn’t there. He wasn’t anywhere. His passport and toothbrush were still at home.

What a coward to walk out on two young sons. I hope there are some financial repercussions for failing to support his children.

And I guess another good thing about interest in genealogy is making it harder to steal dead persons id's. I'm glad the real Terry's family finally had the courage to report it.

People like them are trash.

When I was a child, men did this quite often, without changing their identities just deserting wives and children. My mother was married before she met my father and her husband just walked out and left her with my older half sister. My half sister never saw him again.

When I was a child, men did this quite often, without changing their identities just deserting wives and children. My mother was married before she met my father and her husband just walked out and left her with my older half sister. My half sister never saw him again.

Same here. My sperm donor (I can't bring myself to say 'father') walked out on my mother (they were married) at the time and I was four years old. One night he told my mom that he had to help a friend whose truck broke down in a nearby town. He never came back. We never saw him again and I'm 40 years old now. No birthday cards, no telephone calls, no child support, literally nothing all these years.

Even though this happened to me, I sometimes still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. How someone can do such a thing and live with themselves. Even start a new life with a new family. Makes you wonder (especially as a child) what was wrong with me, you know your first child?!

I have no words for the men who do this. I'm sorry Jennifer17 your family also had to go through this.

Same here. My sperm donor (I can't bring myself to say 'father') walked out on my mother (they were married) at the time and I was four years old. One night he told my mom that he had to help a friend whose truck broke down in a nearby town. He never came back. We never saw him again and I'm 40 years old now. No birthday cards, no telephone calls, no child support, literally nothing all these years.

Even though this happened to me, I sometimes still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. How someone can onsuch a thing and live with themselves. Even start a new life with a new family. Makes you wonder (especially as a child) what was wrong with me, you know your first child?!

I have no words for the men who do this. I'm sorry Jennifer17 your family also had to go through this.
I know of one man, whose wife died when he had two children, 6 and 8. He farmed them out to his relatives, who abused the girl, then he married another woman who could not have children and he and she adopted children, and he left his own children in awful situations.

I know of one man, whose wife died when he had two children, 6 and 8. He farmed them out to his relatives, who abused the girl, then he married another woman who could not have children and he and she adopted children, and he left his own children in awful situations.

Omg. That is beyond terrible. Even though I've been on this site for several years, I'm still amazed at times how deplorable people can be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back