Identified! NC - Cameron, WhtMale UP6662, 25-30, in burned-out house, Nov'05 - Michael Joe Wesley Baker

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Some boys on a day off from school Friday located skeletal remains in a burned-out house in western Harnett County, authorities said.

The remains were found near the intersection of Calvin Road and N.C. Highway 24, near Spout Springs, authorities said.

The house had been burned in 2003, but had been vacant for four to five years before that, authorities said.
http://www.nbc17.com/news/5307891/detail.html

A group of boys enjoying a day off from school discovered skeletal remains while they were playing outside Friday.

The discovery was made in the rubble of an abandoned, burned-out house in western Harnett County near Spout Springs. The boys said the bones were found in the collapsed ceiling of the house.

"It kind of freaked me out. How often is it that you find a dead person around your house?" said Jacob Campbell. "I thought it was a fake skeleton that someone threw up there, but then I got to looking at it, and I saw it was actually a real skeleton, so I went and got my mom."

Campbell's mother called authorities. http://www.wral.com/news/5306591/detail.html

Perhaps a homeless person had been using the place for shelter and died of natural causes there.

Just hoping it is not another murder.

None of the links work but he's still unidentified.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1961umnc.html

Unidentified White Male

- November 11, 2005 in Cameron, Harnett County, NC
-Near complete or complete skeleton
-COD Unknown
- 25-30 years old
Height estimated at 70" or 5'10". Weight unable to estimate.
Dentals: Available. Upper and lower jaw present with dentals charted.
DNA: Available.
These skeletal remains were found on the 2nd floor of a partially collapsed, burned out house.

Per reports, the house burned approximately two years prior and had been abandoned prior to burning.

Dentals are available at Namus.
https://identifyus.org/cases/6662
Teeth missing crown due to caries and only roots left: #2, 6, 7, 10, 17-22, 25, and 27-32. #1 appears to be unerupted.

Perhaps a homeless person had been using the place for shelter and died of natural causes there.

Just hoping it is not another murder.

This fellow had really, really bad teeth. Per namus:
Teeth missing crown due to caries and only roots left: #2, 6, 7, 10, 17-22, 25, and 27-32.

Zeb Quinn and Alexander Shaw are still the only ruleouts.

DNA is still listed as not complete. Given the condition of the remains, I'm guessing they weren't able to get a full sample. So no automatic ruleouts.

He has now been identified as Michael Joe Wesley Baker

Harnett sheriff: ID on cold case skeleton combined investigative, genetic research :: WRAL.com

The Harnett County Sheriff's Office announced on Monday that it had identified the remains of a man missing for almost two decades. The long tale involves a fire in an abandoned home, a skeleton found by children playing, grant money and genetic research.

Sheriff Wayne Coats said the man known only as Cameron Doe – named for where his remains were found – is Michael Joe Wesley Baker, who was 24 when he disappeared. Baker's sister reported him missing in 2007 to police in Sanford, but his family had lost touch years before.

Baker is the first success story for the North Carolina Cold Case Initiative, a group that combines anthropology, investigative work and genealogy to match unidentified remains with the missing and the murdered.

North Carolina State University forensic anthropologist Dr. Ann Ross got a grant to create the initiative in 2019.

"Every individual, including after death, has a right to a personal identity," she said.

Leslie Kaufman, a freelance forensic genealogist, works with Ross. "We're using DNA to trace their family roots, their history and to come to a conclusion," she said.
Harnett sheriff: ID on cold case skeleton combined investigative, genetic research :: WRAL.com

Michael-Joe-Wesley-Baker.jpg

Michael Joe Wesley Baker
(Via: DNA Discovery Ends 16-Year-Old Cold Case)

A 2017 obituary for Michael's father lists him as living in Cameron. They still had hope. So sad.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back